Mel Kiper on “The Trade Up”

They dont have much money tied up in the receiver room, paying Chark on a 4 year dral that is actually a 2 year deal with an option on a 3rd and a “You’ll never see this salary” fourth woould be easy.

They could sign ARSB long term after that 2nd year and hopefully Jamo on a monster deal the year after.

What they absolutely can’t do is pay Hockenson long term for what is so far minimal results. Play out his last 2 years, recycle.

TE is the new HB

4 Likes

With comparisons to the likes of Randy Moss, Jameson Williams may be the top offensive player in the draft. With Hutchinson at the top of the defensive prospects, Lions made a once-in-a-Honolulu blue moon haul this draft.

7 Likes

Love what you say about the WRs. Hock has a chance to be the 2nd most controversial dude on the roster, if he stays healthy and puts up huge numbers. we know Goff prefers short routes and checks down quickly. That said, if Hoch gets hurt, he could be dramatically less $$ or out.

So natty are you actually basing this on facts? From last season or Goff’s career? Just curious.

1 Like

this is a huge conversation, brother. Are you talking about the check-downs?

It’s what ive seen and read. Combination.

I get your perspective brother(s)… I just think in my gut, that MCDC was the catalyst in changing the algorithms late last season. MCDC badassery is gonna rub G’off’! Or rub off on Goff!

3 Likes

Entirely possible.
I believe in Dan.

It’s funny how opinions can differ so far on a similar subject. I would rather pay TE1, who’s a pretty solid all around TE than our probable WR3. If hock and Chark both turn in good seasons, hock will command a less AAV contract than Chark.

Hock at 4/48m sounds way better than signing our #3 to a 3/48m extension. Maybe I’m crazy :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

People assume our 2 first rd picks in 23 will be to get higher spot for a qb. But if goff is the guy imagine the playmakers we can add with those picks. I asked for playmakers and we got 2-4 in this draft… well done

1 Like

I feel that is the more likely scenario, yes. But it would be awesome if it wasn’t the case.

That being said, I don’t love the idea of have my QB being ranked in the 12-15 area. I don’t see Goff as a top 10 player, I never will. I know that might just sound greedy but I would rather swing on another player.

I would love if Goff had a good season and management fell in love with a prospect next year. Goff will have trade value. I realize if Goff plays well he’s probably the guy still. This is just my personal ideal scenario.

1 Like

Even a “friendly” deal is likely to be twice what Williams will be making. If he knocks it out of the park you really have to decide whether to take a comp pick while losing him, or bite the bullet and hope he stays healthy. It falls into a good problem to have category.

2 Likes

Everybody wants a top 5 type QB. You aren’t saying anything that anyone else hasn’t already said or felt. The only difference is consideration of the alternative. Top 12-15 QBs don’t grow on trees. So the question is whether you are willing to go back into QB hell like we have done for a majority of the last 60 years, or whether you would like to try to build around Goff first to see what happens. That’s literally the only difference in opinion.

3 Likes

If Goff plays well this year, I am fine using our resources to build around him. As we just saw with the Rams, if you put together a great team, and later decide you need to go all in to upgrade at quarterback, it can be done.

1 Like

Some people assume it will only be our first pick…if this happens - we’ll probably have an ‘oust Bran’ movement on the board…

Having the pieces already in place helps with recruiting the next QB as well, if necessary. We’ve seen that some of these QBs have no trade clauses, and some of the other ones who didn’t have the clause effectively had one due to circumstances and were asked to buy into the trade.

I am hoping to see Stroud take a step forward in 2022. Right now I’m seeing a guy who can throw a good football, but he’s lacking in some of the other things that he will need in order to succeed in the NFL.

1 Like

YES!
If you can upgrade…do it!
Also…what if you can get a first rounder for Goff too?
Love it!

1 Like

Really. It ended up for the Vikings what could have been our two picks. Watson and Cine. We went Williams and Paschal - then got Joseph later. Would I have taken Cine over Joseph? Heck yes, but Williams even injured is the far superior WR prospect to Watson who is very much a project, not unlike Joseph is for us. WR is now a position like QB/DE/LT where they get insano money if they are top level players. They are getting over 10M per if they are decent and still young. (Zay Jones). It makes sense to invest highly on a top level WR prospect in the draft, especially if you lack a true stud #1WR. Getting a guy like JW on a 5 year deal is just smart business and will make errybody on offense better. He will dictate what the defense does on his own.

This was a great trade and the guy we took filled a need at a now premium position value wise. Top tier FA WR’s are Ferrari’s, which means they are amazing when they are running, but they may spend quite a bit of time in the shop and you have to drive something different, till you get it back again. Drafted WR’s are the new Corvette. Mostly the same performance at more than half the cost.

3 Likes

If our first pick gets us a stud qb then the other pick can be a playmaker.

3 possible scenarios all are ok.

1. Goff is solid and is the answer. If so both picks can be used for building the team around him.

2. Goff sucks and lions pick top 3 and get stud qb and use other pick to get a playmaker.
    Goff is backup or bridge qb

3. Goff Is good enough but not the guy… so both picks used plus to get the guy. Goff is traded for picks

2 Likes

I think Blough/Boyle could win 5 or 6 games with this offense. For real.

This is my prediction, but 1 Is my hope.

If 1 comes to fruition, we can trade up for my dream …the DT! …2ndly…THE RB (not just a RB).

1 Like