Micah Parsons to bulk up, play DE full time

Let’s have Sewell slim down so he can play TE full time. That catch last year convinced me that we are wasting his talents as one of the big uglies.

I can see it…

4 Likes

If we move Sewell, does that mean we drated a TE in the 1st round?

2 Likes

No, in the second. Which is a disaster in these parts. Still hoping this can be corrected.

He’s only 6’3” so not sure how much that guy can put on and still be effective. I hope it diminishes that team because I hate that team the most of any team that was ever a team.

Sewell is so good he should have been drafted before the 1st round.

1 Like

If we don’t due some Penei Fridge Perry goal-line stuff next year I’m going to be disappointed in Ben.

That’s exactly right. His production declined late in the year, and it was widely suggested the reason was getting dinged up.

Not only does he battle much bigger guys, he’s often getting chipped, cut and double teamed.

Parsons isn’t working out at the Cowboys facilities, but doing this on his own.

1 Like

He can gain 40 pounds and he is still going to be battling bigger guys. He spent a ton of time playing a nastier position and he did it in a violent way. That’s the nature of his craft. There are many downsides to gaining weight that other players have found out in the past. One of them is the fact that being heavier means putting more stress on the body when trying to do simple conditioning drills. His body and joints are going to take more punishment running sprints than they were at his old weight.

I think you might be overreacting a bit here Peabody! The article says he wants to gain 5 pounds, that’s only a couple cheeseburgers really. I’ve had bowel movements close to 5 pounds after Thanksgiving dinner.

1 Like

My feelings on what he is attempting to do is completely tied to how much weight he tries to gain. I gain and lose 5 lbs just in water weight each day. What I have said is that if he is truly just trying to add 5 to 10 lbs of muscle to help him out a little bit, I think he can pull it off. But if he thinks adding more weight beyond that is a great idea, he is probably in for a rude awakening.

And the ONLY reason why I question how much weight he might ultimately choose to add is because the article talks about going from LB to full time DE. If Fred Warner said he wanted to add a few pounds, I would take it literally meaning a few pounds. But when a guy like Micah says he wants to bulk up and move to full time DE, that’s a red flag. Just like it would be if Fred Warner said he was bulking up and moving to full time DE. There is a great temptation to shoot for 260-265.

It’s a money move. Great DE’s get paid more than great LBs, and Jerry is due to re-up next year. Just like when Deebo wanted to be paid like a WR and not a RB. As it was pointed out, he was playing 78% edge anyway.

Parsons is a VERY lean 6’3” dude…
so 15 pounds is not much of an addition for a guy like that.

15 extra pounds for Micah puts him at Frank Clark level…… and probably many other 6’3” and 260 pound edge rushers.

2 Likes

I think it comes down to how he goes about it. I wouldn’t recommend adding more than 5 to 10 lbs in 1 offseason.