Mike Tannenbaum: Detroit Lions 'a destination place' because of Dan Campbell

Mike Tannenbaum: Detroit Lions ‘a destination place’ because of Dan Campbell

A few snippetts
“I’ve known people who’ve played with him or been coached by him before, and they all said the same thing, that what you saw on TV is real,” Reader said. "(When I met him and shook) his hand and finally talk(ed) to him, it’s real. It’s something that comes over you when you know somebody cares about you and they’re talking to you and they’re being honest

Said Zeitler, “Getting a chance to talk to Coach Campbell, his energy, his views on things, I think we’re going to mesh together really well.”

Campbell earned high marks in an anonymous NFL Players Association survey last season that asked players to evaluate their coaches based on how they contributed to workplace conditions.

1 Like

It’s a shame we didn’t have a Brad Holmes and Dan Campbell in 2018 after Jim Caldwell was let go. It would have been interesting to see how the Lions would have developed with the talent on hand.

2 Likes

The article ended with this summation, which was worth it’s own post as it speaks to one of DC’s biggest skills, bolded. The italics is also a great point that has been discussed to no end here. His aggression on the field is not on a whim, it is calculated with reasoning behind, agree or not, and it will win games and lose some. To this point, it’s won more than it’s lost.

“I think that Dan has the ability to be relatable, be well-liked but know where the line is,” Tannenbaum said. "And I think candidly, that’s a very innate talent to have, like I think you either have it or you don’t and he has it. It’s a fine line. His knowledge of the game is, I think sometimes like if you didn’t know Dan you’d just be like, ‘Oh, this guy’s just tough and physical,’ but he’s very smart, he’s very insightful, he’s very thoughtful. I think him and Brad (Holmes) have just done an amazing job and I’m not surprised at all just seeing what he did in the 12 games that we were together and he’ll be there for a long, long time. He’s getting now the credit he deserves, which is a great head coach."

What I like about Dan is he doesn’t hide behind the analytics like many other coaches will do. Particularly when things go bad. He owns it as his decision, and we often times have to find the analytics that supported it later.

Dan also understands the real football lessons behind the analytics. Its not just numbers on paper for him. He knows how they apply to real life situations.

3 Likes

This is a great point and one that many of the die hard analytic fans don’t comprehend.
AJ Hinch has spoken of the correlation as well.

1 Like

Another conversation that’s to be avoided

Amazon Smile GIF by NFL On Prime Video

Players when they come play for Dan:

1 Like