MLB Offseason and Lottery

Guardians Win Draft Lottery

By Anthony Franco | December 5, 2023 at 4:50pm CDT

The second ever MLB draft lottery was conducted at the Winter Meetings this afternoon. The Guardians were surprisingly awarded the first overall pick, followed by the Reds and Rockies. Cleveland entered the event with just a 2% chance of securing the highest selection.

Cincinnati also surprisingly drew near the top of the league. The Reds’ chances of landing the first pick were less than 1%. While they didn’t quite get to #1, they jump up to second despite having the 14th-worst record this year.

Here’s the first round order:

1. Guardians
  2. Reds
  3. Rockies
  4. Athletics
  5. White Sox
  6. Royals
  7. Cardinals
  8. Angels
  9. Pirates
  10. Nationals
  11. Tigers
  12. Red Sox
  13. Giants
  14. Cubs
  15. Mariners
  16. Marlins
  17. Brewers
  18. Rays
  19. Mets
  20. Blue Jays
  21. Twins
  22. Orioles
  23. Dodgers
  24. Padres
  25. Yankees
  26. Braves
  27. Phillies
  28. Astros
  29. Diamondbacks
  30. Rangers

I imagine the Guardians will take Sky-Lord.

Ohio sucks.

Cleveland started with a 2% chance for the #1 pick.
Cinci had 1% chance for the #1 pick and they ended up at #2.

Lollerz

I hate all of the lotteries.

6 Likes

Lotteries, unless drawn live in front of an audience and auditors. It allows any league to put their thumb on the scale…ala, the San Antonio Spurs, who got David Robinson, Tim Duncan, and now Wembanyama. Rigged? Probably.

Meanwhile the Pistons fall in just about every lottery, except…ding, ding, ding…when there isn’t a consensus #1OA…and we got Cade, who is seemingly less impressive with every passing game. He’s a decent player that I hope we don’t resign for some ridiculous max contract and hand cuff ourselves.

1 Like

https://x.com/JeffPassan/status/1735708866627690724?s=20

Frozen envelope bro, its a Ewing thing. Clear bubble overcome, alakazam!

The Pistons reality is that they can’t attract a big FA without hope and a lot of improvement. They can’t attract a FA even at the level of Cade…annnnd, the NBA has a salary floor, so you Have To spend…thusly, Cade will get a max deal because they will have his Bird Rights and can pay more longer. With him there long twlerm and some combo of Duren/Ivey/Ausar Hopefully improving over thr next 2 years, Then they may have a shot at attracting a FA better than Bogie or Jeremi Grant.

Otherwise, it’s Pistons Perpetual Purgatory.
#TomGoresAllPistonsFansWithHisBullShitOwnership
#GoresIllegitimateFordBastard?

1 Like

Fun story

https://x.com/BBGreatMoments/status/1769680147345465775?s=20

1 Like

Nvm

Wait till they start doing this in the nfl.

I thought Tabata was gonna be a star…sigh.