Montgomery: Yards after contact

One of the reasons the Lions signed Monty over Jamaal W was this version of YAC. The game against the Bears yet again validated the decision:

3.92 yards after contact per attempt

The Bears entered Week 11 with one of the best run defenses in the NFL. They were allowing just 3.2 yards per carry (first in the NFL) and sixth in rush defense DVOA. That was until the Lions ground game bumped that average up to 3.4 YPC and knocked them back to 15th in rush defense DVOA.

Montgomery’s physicality in the run game, his ability to force missed tackles (three on just 12 carries) helped the Lions pick up extra yardage, and his 3.92 yards after contact per attempt was good for fourth among running backs in the NFL during Week 11—pending the results of “Monday Night Football.” Montgomery’s 3.17 YAC/A this season is fifth among running backs with at least 100 rushing attempts, and it’s no surprise that his running style became most effective during the fourth quarter. Four of his touches went for 13, 12, 10, and 9 yards, and the only play that went for less than a chunk of yardage was the goal line carry he ran in for the go-ahead touchdown.

4 Likes

Overall, the changes at RB were amazing.

They took a strength and made it better.

Hopefully they see d-line as a strength this offseason.

11 Likes

That was the point on the changes made in the RB room, to many yards were left on the field was the comment.

6 Likes

I was hoping we would sign DM if they didn’t bring Williams back. In 2017 he set an NCAA record with 104 missed tackles, breaking the previous record of 89 by Dalvin Cook. Team player, exactly what MC/DC was looking for and it’s paying off. What happens when a guy like this is getting it done is that the OL stays on their blocks too, making sure that DM is done moving his legs.

3 Likes

I kinda thought the main reason was because Swaggy initially said no.

This feels a bit like another thread to throw shade at everything xlion as if they wouldn’t be productive with this staff. Swaggy was great last two years for lions. That’s good enough for me.

David is looking fantastic and I hope he can stay healthy

2 Likes

JW should have jumped on the Lions offer.

" Kyle Meinke of MLive said Detroit “was nowhere near” the three-year, $12 million deal Williams got in New Orleans. Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press says the Lions offered a deal very close to the three-year, $18 million contract that Montgomery signed in Detroit.Mar 29, 2023"

4 Likes

MASSIVE upgrade.
Gibby is already a nice upgrade over swift, but will prove to be a HUGE upgrade when he gets closer to his ceiling.

6 Likes

I figure he will hit that ceiling right about the time he goes head to head against swift…

excited ice hockey GIF by NHL

2 Likes

I remember you advocating for Monty b4 the Lions signed him.

1 Like

“But I just came away saying, ‘Shoot man, we left a lot of meat on the bone in a lot of ways.’ Because I think I talked about it, some of the runs we could have had explosives. We could’ve had eight, nine yards when we were still at three or four, so just a few things when we looked back at last year.”

2 Likes

Yes, I started a thread last December during the season comparing the two and I hoped if JW wasn’t back that we would get DM. The truth is I really wanted DM but JW was having such a great season I thought it better than to make that point. Plus, other Bears RB’s were having more success at the time, Herbert in particular so it would have been a tough sell that he would suddenly get better coming here. Just glad it worked out the way it did.

3 Likes

Swift is at his ceiling and in a contract year, and already Gibby is better.

CANT WAIT !!!

7 Likes

So proud of Montgomery especially after that last game

5 Likes

Always liked Montgomery and thought we could unlock his inner-beast behind this offensive line. The best is yet to come. Just wait until he’s fully healthy and gets around 12 - 13 games experience with The Road Blocks. Tear them up with the Monty and Gibbs combo meal.

If we can get that defense figured out and playing like the end of last year by the playoffs, we are going to be tough to beat.

2 Likes

Monty with the Bears averaged 3.9 yards per carry through 4 seasons.

With the Lions he’s up to 4.9 yards and has already matched his career high in rushing TDs with 8 with 7 games to go.

In summary… the Lions Oline is really ■■■■■■■ good

5 Likes

From
Brad himself

So if you like Brad , why not like Swaggy just like Brad does ? They tried to sign him and had Swaggy said yes immediately, they’d be having full confidence in him filling the role he set record in.

“Business happens. That’s part of this business, and it just didn’t work (with Williams),” Holmes continued. “We tried, but when the market crystalized and it got to a point where David was in play—kinda within the range or resources that we had set aside—then that’s when we went ahead and went forward with David.”

3 Likes

You are correct but it was also pointed out after DW and Gibbs were on board how much better they were at yards after contact.

Team had a set dollar amount they would give JW and he said no.

1 Like

The upgrade from Jamaal to Monty was always a slam dunk. I love Jamal just like everyone else but that love clouded people’s vision of him as a player. When we signed him he was a jag we got for very cheap. He thrived behind our line as many others would have.

But Montgomery was a legit talented NFL running back. Behind our line he was always gonna thrive.

4 Likes

Sure

But doesn’t mean they saw J Williams as much of a downgrade or a bad player or didn’t value him and want him
On the team.

Nor does it suggest Brad went out looking for an upgrade to these issues that were brought up … until
The market came to him.

Therefore I like to think if it as
If Williams were here
It might look a little different but he’d be having a great season and so would lions.

Another point to knock on wood for is Jamal was very reliable health wise so we need to hope that a guy who runs as hard as David does, doesn’t miss more time

I see this as a bit revisionist as it’s already pointed out in the thread there’s evidence suggesting Brad offered him 12-18 million to stay
… but maybe Brad’s vision was cloudy and he lucked out Jamal didn’t sign

I just don’t get the need to paint it like it shades Williams talent when imo it’s just not necessary and doesn’t even create a great narrative of the FO

I think lions would’ve been successful
With Swaggy and his runs might d been longer with Jamo leading the way