Most Underrated Players (Stafford tops the list)

I watched the clip, there were plays where he held onto the ball too long trying to make a play but there were a lot of times I only got to 2 and he already had a defender in his face too.

But mostly i was referring to your answer that every qb faces that every game. Not every team has 4 new guys playing new on their O-line or playing a position they don’t normally play.
He was running for his life that whole game, most qb’s would have been sacked 8+ times.

1 Like

Matt would have thrown 9 TDs
:wink:

2 Likes

That’s not extraordinary.

Well I never said every QB in every game so you can stop referring to something that didn’t happen.

“New guys” don’t matter. Count to 3. If the line completely fell apart and Mahomes didn’t have time this wouldn’t be a conversation right now. Running around like a chicken with your head cutoff because you can’t adjust from playing 8th grade football is not the lines fault.

“Most QBs” don’t hold the ball that long. The kid had a bad game, it happens.

And just so we are all on the same page and I’m not just pulling 3 seconds out of my butt, I will pull up some info that can lead to a few people here going to explore the subject more if they so choose.

This is from 2019. This is average time to throw allowed by a defense. Note the seconds at the bottom and I highlighted our beloved Lions.

Here’s another fun one poking Patricia in the eye. This puts the time to throw on the vertical axis and has the average number of pass rushers on the horizontal. We got the worst pressure AND used by far the fewest pass rushers.

1 Like

I’d call Stafford overrated. Especially now.

But anyway, to the question at hand. The most underrated Lion right now is probably my man JACK FOX.

Elite-level punter who can absolutely flip the field. A big help to a defense that needs it.

Another who comes to mind is Romeo. He’s developed himself into a high-level pass rusher, but I’m not sure he’s known at all outside of Detroit among fans or media.

2 Likes

You’re just jealous cuz he’s better looking. :wink:

YES!!!

If our kicker can prove to be solid-to-good, and the run game canoe solid, Fox is a weapon. He can help us win in low scoring defensive struggle type games.

Right. Patricia was SO bad that it wouldn’t matter if we had Lawrence Taylor and Bubba Baker on that DL.

2 Likes

yep.

Here is a breakdown from a Bucs site.
He mentions in the video that Mahomes was pressured more than any QB in Super Bowl history… and that the Bucs were still able to play 2 deep safeties at least 68% of the snaps.

When you hold the ball too long, you get pressured. That’s when other QBs adjust. Mahomes never adjusted. That’s the entire point.

Count
To

you don’t win much when your team isn’t lead correctly , nobody can seem to build a defense around here, and your the sewer divers of the league , Stafford is not elite or perfect but he sure as hell had help making The Detroit Lions an embarassment for at least the last 12 years.

So, this quote never happened then?..good to know.

What planet does this not matter on? When you’re losing in the Superbowl, you do what you can do try and win. Phunnypharm provided the stats from PFF that on 43% of the pass plays he was pressured in 2.5 seconds or less.
Would it have been better that he just took the sack or threw the ball away on 43% of the pass plays?

Again, Phunnypharm laid-out all the info for you, you just have to read it? Did you read his post? Count to 3 and read his post and get back to us? Did you read them yet?

1 Like

The planet where you literally have the film and know how to count.

I have film. You should try it.

Count
To

I remember when there was like a 4 page debate on the old board on how the Dallas Cowboys offensive line was holding us a few years ago. VLG argued till the bitter end that it never happened. We watched the game and had the film, he admitted that he didn’t. But he had statistics! And since we had a bunch of no name defensive lineman and the Cowboys had pro bowlers, all pros, X stat this, Y stat that…it didn’t happen!!!

Watch the film and
Count
To

Ok, so you can count to 3 and so can PFF. On 43% of the pass-plays, he was pressured at 2.5 seconds or less. What adjustments would you recommend that Mahommes should have made there coach?

He ain’t that good looking he look dumb with all that hair.

I’d like to see some examples (screenshots) of where exactly Mahomes should have thrown the ball after he counted to 3… because I didn’t see many options for him.

Maybe not run around like an 8th grader and actually look like a professional QB? Maybe not look inferior to Taylor frickin Heineke?

You can die on this hill bud. He had a bad day. He scored the lowest points scored on the Bucs all season…except for the sorry ass Lions with backup coaches. Every other QB found a way to drop 20+ on the Bucs in the postseason…but by golly Patrick Mahomes is a damn hero for scoring 9 points. ■■■■■■■ hall of fame performance!

More highlights of Mahomes avoiding the pass rush:

Total Divas GIF by E!

Did every other team that played the Bucs in the playoffs have 4 new O-linemen?

So, instead of running around, what should he have done instead there coach? Andy Reid couldn’t figure out how to block the Bucs and get anyone open…but obviously you got the answers, so let’s hear them coach.

I already answered.

Here’s another one to add to the list since you are taking notes. I’m going out on a limb here…but MAYBE he shouldn’t throw the ball late over the middle into double coverage? I realize I’m a crazy person and maybe there’s some stat from PFF that will say its a great decision. I’m rolling the dice here and saying not to.

All you said is he shouldn’t hold the ball so long.

So, again, you can say he shouldn’t hold the ball for over 3 seconds but when you’re pressured 43% of the time below 2.5 seconds, what should he have done differently?
If you don’t have an answer that is fine, either did Andy Reid or Mahommes…but you can’t fault Mahommes for having such a hodge-podge of an O-line. He had what he had for that game and there was nothing he could do about it but run for his life and try to make plays.
A QB without the running ability of Mahommes probably would have been sacked 8+ times and been injured by half time.

Mahommes had a bad game because of the piss-poor O-line he had for that game, it wasn’t the other way around…no matter how hard you try.

Oh I get it now. We’ve reached the part where you realize you have a big fat dump on your face so now you just keep dismissing every answer as if it never happened.

So you died on this hill like I thought. Good day sir. Enjoy your 9 points. Even Taylor Heinicke would be embarassed with that but its God’s work to you.

cat relaxing GIF

This is now a cat thread.

Quite the contrary, you’re critical of Mahommes but have no answers. You’re saying that you didn’t say stuff that I quoted you as saying. You just keep deflecting and avoiding any and all questions.

Your smarter than everyone ego can’t admit when you’re wrong, it’s fun to watch. You criticize Mahommes for running and spinning but that’s exactly what you’re doing.

1 Like

Todd Bowles is known for his blitzing and attacking defense. According to the video below… the Bucs played single high over 50% of the time and blitzed 39% of the time before the Super Bowl.

In the Super Bowl, this video states the Bucs played 2 high safeties 87% of the time and blitzed only 9% of plays… yet still generated pressure within 2.5 seconds on 43% of passes.

So why would that strategy work?

Maybe because KC was missing 3 starting O-linemen?

You mention the Lions and “backup coaches”… but can’t acknowledge that the O-line was an issue?

When Tampa and KC played in week 12 and Bowles was not able to keep 2 deep safeties all game… Mahomes threw for 462 yards and 3 TDs.

2 Likes