Most Underrated Players (Stafford tops the list)

Gents…

Mahomes is the goods. That said, he plays in a QB friendly offense, and happens to be surrounded “unique talents.” Notice I didn’t say ELITE… Reid got the best from McNabb by virtue of trading for TOand parlaying him with Westbrook. Matchup nightmares. Kelce is a big boy with shake. Hill is the fastest guy in the nfl. There are always RBs who can catch.

The Bucs D was on their A game. The Chiefs wasn’t. Guys like AB and Fournette played for free to get a chance at a ring. They were 4 deep at WR, 2 at TE, 2 at RB and solid at OL…

Brady-
Barrett- tag
Fournette- reclamation
AB- scrap heap
Gronk- Retirement.

Bucs went 5-11 in 18’ and 7-9 in 19’…

Brady had no more arm talent in 20’ than Goff has now.

Like I said the other day- we are a WR1, MLB, and FS away from contending right now.

Give me Godwin, white and Winfield and we go 10-7 at worst. Give me 1-2 and we go 8-9… let’s scoop 1 now and other 2 in round 1 next year?

1 Like

We do have some contracts coming up too.
Does Flowers come back?
Vatai?
We will have some others that get let go and/or upgraded.

We also get to see if some of the rooks do/don’t work out.

I can see where we could surprise and win before we’re expected to.
I can also see where it could take 2-3 years.

If it takes 2-3 years it ain’t gonna happen

Goff-hes the guy… 4 years
Swift- he’s the guy… 3 years
Hock- he’s the guy 3 including 5th option…
Decker- he’s the guy 4 years…
Jackson- he’s the guy 3 years…
Ragnow- he’s the guy 5 plus…
-RG1
Sewell- he will prove the guy… 4-5 years
-WR1
Cephus- a guy… 3 years
St Brown- a guy… 4 years

That is 9 of 11 offensive players at age 27 or under, all with 3-5 years left…

Okwara-3 years… the guy
Brockers- 3 years … the guy
Levi O- 4 years… maybe the guy
Flowers- 3 years… maybe the guy

J Collins- 2 years maybe the guy
-MLB
-OLB

Okudah- 3/4 years left… probably the guy
AO- 2 years left… maybe the guy
T Walker- maybe the guy… 1 year
-SS

Could be 8 strong on defense…

T Williams
Perriman
J Williams
Hand
JOK
McNeill
JRN
Anzalone
Melifonwu
Dunbar
Harris
Marlowe

The above could prove to add a few others

In 2 years we will be facing 10 of the above 18 seeming long term solutions with 0 or 1 year left.

I prefer to go all in with whatever resources we have this year and next. Add a safety or WR this summer, draft 2 pieces next April, sign 1-2 UFA starters next March.

3 Likes

Dude - really enjoyed and appreciated the breakdown. Nice work.

Gonna be fun to watch it play out.

I think some of “the guys” could get upgraded/replaced too. NFL is always a crazy ride. I fully understand where you’re coming from and can see it as a possibility.

I just watched your video, that is an excellent video to watch for anyone that likes the X’s and O’s of football and the Superbowl.
Mahommes was pressured more than any other QB in Superbowl history. Bowles blitzed the least he had in 5 years because of the injury riddled O-line…can’t get much more obvious than that.

I have the film.

horse GIF

You can lead a horse to water.

what are we arguing?? Stafford is underrated OR who had the best O-lines?

Bucky has always like Matt.

Matt is not over-rated or under-rated. He has been middle of the pack with the exception of a few great years. Much like the other middle of the pack guys.

When he is on…he is great. When he is not…well…he is not good.

His ceiling is high. His floor is low.

He doesn’t win big games. He can’t carry your team.

He always plays better when things are uptempo IMO. No thinking just slinging. Hopefully Mcvay keeps him bottled up.

2 Likes

I think it’s if the Lions are going to run a base nickel package.

2 Likes

Not a nickel package.

It’s a “nickel base” defense. Sub packages and base defenses no longer exist because nickel is the new base defense. Teams don’t run packages anymore now that they have the new “Nickel base” defense. So I’ve been told.

1 Like

The cool thing is the Nickel base defense was invented on THIS forum, so it’s got that going for it.

1 Like

Since @Tcmouse joined the discussion a little late in the game… I thought I would return to the post that started the discussion between @Snags , @wesleysh21 ,and myself.

We have already posted the links to the PFF stat that Mahomes was pressured 24 times in 2.5 seconds or less. I also posted the link that showed ESPN had the total pressures at 29 times on 61 drop backs for the Super Browl. So Mahomes had 5 plays that he was initially pressured AFTER he held the ball 3 seconds… on 61 plays.

This still seemed like a lot more pressure than the average QB faces on a “weekly basis”.
So I looked at Stafford’s pressures for each game in 2020 at pro-football-reference… as well as every other starting QB who played more than a few games in 2020.

There was a TOTAL of 4 other games that a QB saw more than 20 pressures in a game.
This number of pressures is total pressures (NOT just in 2.5 seconds or less).
In all of 2020… playoffs included.

Justin Herbert - week 13 faced 25 total pressures
Carson Wentz - week 6 faced 21 total pressures
Kirk Cousins - week 13 - 21 pressures against Tampa. Tampa blitzed 30% of drop backs compared to 10% against KC
Pat Mahomes - week 5 - faced 21 pressures

Including the Super Bowl… that makes 5 games … out of 269 games in 2020… where a QB was pressure >20 times in the game. Mahomes had 24 pressures in 2.5 seconds or LESS.

The assertion that Mahomes saw pressure that occurs on a “weekly basis” is not accurate.

shirokuma cafe checkmate GIF

2 Likes

Its okay bro, you got exposed in this thread. You don’t actually watch film.

I do… I just don’t expect everyone to believe me over the sites that do it for a living… so I provided their numbers.

I also provided the video of all the plays with an all 22 view… and still haven’t heard 1 person describe what plays he held it for more than 3 seconds before he was pressured… and what receivers might have actually been open when they were dropping 7 coverage guys almost every snap because they didn’t even need to blitz against that patchwork O-line.

It is interesting that you offer many stats and bits of info to back up your opinions in most threads.
I just see a lot of vague statements here backed by nothing.

1 Like

How often has Stafford held the ball too long, had poor pocket presence/recognition, made prayer esque throw that were intercepted, declined working with a QB coach, closed his eyes and prayed for a miracle, lacked touch leading to not moving the chains? He has tremendous best in the league strengths in some areas but the inability to translate that into consistent elite performance disqualifies him imo. He needs to do more regular without the backbreaking mistakes that lead to losses to be a top QB imo. He moved up the list bc Brees retired. Who would you rather have at QB this year, Matt vs either Lamar or Herbert. Having said that he could be a QB who thrives more later in his career because the arm strength will always be above average and he’s had so many opportunities to learn from mistakes.

I’ve watched a shitload of film over past couple years. Stafford has not had a top 10 performance throughout the season since his great year under Caldwell until he got injured in November. Pat Stafford is a real thing. Agree with Phunnypharm wholeheartedly. In fact he’s dominating the debate

1 Like

Another +1 we’ll said. I was even pissed when we traded Matt, was my favorite Lion but at some point have to acknowledge the real truth

And yet you post about “film you’ve watched” obsessively. I’m not buying it. At this point I can only assume you copy and paste from some other site and put it out here as your own.

I’m not sure how much simpler I can make it than telling you to count to 3 and pause the film. I posted the data. Only the sorry ass Lions who we all know sucked at rushing the passer averaged over 3 seconds per pass allowed. Every time you get to 3 its up to Mahomes after that. Just because he still has the ball doesn’t suddenly make it a “pressure.” He held the ball too long.

Don’t worry, a real film watcher will do your homework for you so you don’t have to.

I think decker is the lions most underrated player. He’s been rock solid is pass pro and much improved in the run game. Even with a revolving door next to him at guard. Hopefully With Jackson settled at left guard decker will get even better.