My Cabinda dilemna

I know DC likes Cabinda but I find it difficult to justify his position. Based on our personnel groupings and tendencies we seldom use a FB. It seems it would be more prudent to save the roster spot and cap space by developing one of the 3 TE’s to handle FB duties. Is that a crazy idea? Nothing personal against Cabinda but we utilize our TE’s a lot and also our 3rd tackle. I don’t know the snap counts but my guess is they are utilized at a far greater rate than the FB position. Unless he can do more for us I just don’t see spending 2 million and a roster spot on him.

3 Likes

Personally I’d rather have one of those TE/FB hybrids like Brayden Willis, Josh Whyle or Jack Coletto at that spot. Imagine the things Ben could do with a guy like that.

4 Likes

He’s one of the easy decisions, in my book. He’s a decent blocker the few times he’s used, but, he can’t catch. He also has a hard time staying available.
He’s a wasted roster spot.

5 Likes

I agree completely. DC talks about the different tools or weapons a player can bring. I think Mitchell is going to be a pleasant surprise and Brock Wright has way outplayed his UDFA status. But adding another dimension to Ben’s repertoire is extremely valuable. I just believe from a return on investment proposition that Cabinda’s spot can be replaced with a more effective weapon.

2 Likes

For half the money!

4 Likes

Another coach in training?!

1 Like

IN this case would we cut one of Mitchell, Zylstra, wright? if not then we are essentially in the same position.

IDK if youre joking but i see this idea thrown around a whole lot. I just saw some poster suggest Charles Harris becoming a coach next season. Is this happening around the league where an able bodied player just hangs it up to coach and I just don’t know about it? because this notion sounds beyond ridiculous.

1 Like

True - but why would you not if the player is an upgrade?

1 Like

I would carry the 3 TE’s plus a FB/hybrid type guy. As long as the guy is an upgrade from Cabinda. I really do think we can do better.

1 Like

I guess thats what/why I was asking. I’m not familiar with the FB/TE hybrids he mentioned. I just think Cabinda provides value we may not be aware of from a leadership and special teams stand point.

but I agree him taking up a roster spot this season has always been curious to me.

This is the answer. Keep all three TEs then add the hybrid in Cabinda’s spot. No way we move on from Mitchell yet, he hasn’t really had the chance to show what he’s got.

3 Likes

Yes, I have been pushing Josh Whyle for some time. I’m looking for a guy who doesn’t need a learning curve.

https://www.si.com/college/cincinnati/football/espn-draft-analysts-name-josh-whyle-top-three-fullback

1 Like

You have, and I agree with you he’d be great for us. I actually have all three of those guys (Whyle, Willis, Colletto) ranked really tightly and higher than most, I’d draft them all in day 2.

19 TE’s were taken last season, w/o checking that may be the most ever. Normal is probably around 13. I’m just not sure we would have to go day 2, because even in that draft only 1 was taken before the 3rd and only 4 total in the first 3 rounds. We have 2 six round picks, of the 3 that you mentioned I would bet 1 is available with our pick.

Yeah, you’re probably right. Even though I would grade them as late day 2 picks I probably wouldn’t take them there, I’d hope one or more fell. I think Colletto probably has the best chance of falling, I don’t think he’ll test quite as well as the other two. Whyle’s probably the best athlete and has the most traditional TE skills of the bunch. Willis I just love the way he blocks in space. Above average athlete but not at Whyle’s level. Definitely a pick your poison spot if you’re looking for that type of guy.

Hell, no! All 3 of those guys are Football Players. They block, they catch, they move the chains, they score.
Are they flashy? I thought Brocks 51 yard TD was pretty nifty.
I enjoyed Zylstra’s 3 TD game.
Mitchell flashes that he may be the best of the 3. Does that count as “flash”?
Now, choosing one to take on FB duties?

Zylstra goes to the PS if you have to cut 1 but it wasn’t about gaining a position, it was about gaining cap. You save 2 million by cutting Cabinda. You replace him and add depth at the TE position.

1 Like

Cut Cabinda, and keep all 3 active.

1 Like

They designed an O to have a lead blocker. I want someone who has actually done it before and has receiving skills.