New kick return rules

I actually like this a lot …

https://x.com/nflfootballops/status/1771294742426350032?s=46&t=XNaCYqjbnQMZs3PB8Kzlfg

4 Likes

Wow that seems designed to give us a meaningful KR. I like it!

5 Likes

Very interesting. New touchback is the 35.

No more surprise onside kicks. I don’t think they addressed that part or if a change is being discussed for this upcoming season.

1 Like

Oh good catch!

Only thing I don’t like is the new touchback spot at the 35. That’s a little much, maybe the 30. They are trying to encourage you teams to focus on landing kicks inside the 20 so there is a ton more returns.

5 Likes

Seems a little complicated… I don’t like not having the opportunity to do an on side kick whenever you want. I do like that they HAVE to return a kick that doesn’t reach the endzone

1 Like

This is basically adopting the XFL rules, which I was always a fan of.

7 Likes

I absolutely hate moving the touchback mark. That makes it WAY harder on defenses…as if it wasn’t hard enough already.

Longer touchbacks = Fewer long plays = Less Excitement

You know who I think would be lights out returning that play:

Sione Vaki.

Bam Knight would be good as well. You are likely to need a little more tackle breaking lower than the old way.

1 Like

REALLY hope this crap doesn’t pass as is

3 Likes

It’s the 25 now, right? So it’d be the 20 if they fair catch it in the landing zone, but 35 if it’s out of the end zone… Puts more pressure on the kickers if anything… Land it in this zone, but don’t go OB

I think you won’t see very many touchbacks, which is the point. Most kicks will wind up between the goal line and the 20 and be returned.

1 Like

If it creates more returns… great.

Nothing worse then them coming back from commercials kicking a touchback and then back to more commercials

This touchback was brought to you by Fanduel… who the ■■■■ cares.

6 Likes

We are going to need about 10 RBs to get through a season.

1 Like

We probably won’t do it. But Jamo returning kicks if those rules get approved could be deadly.

6 Likes

The XFL made it through the season without a single injury during kickoffs. Taking away the “flying missile” aspect of special teams makes it a lot more like a play from the line of scrimmage. Obviously players will still get hurt even in this scenario, but it should be greatly reduced from what it once was.

1 Like

Wonder if this was part of the equation that’s led to us moving on from Pittman, Cabinda, Harris and others.

1 Like

Huh, that’s a good thought. Though honestly with MORE kicks returned, they might be more important than ever.

3 Likes

I like most of it, but HATE that onside kicks are only allowed in the fourth quarter. Wtf does that accomplish for player safety& excitement?

2 Likes

The part about the ball needing to reach the 20 yard line (under penalty of being placed at the 40) seems overly complex. I’m not sure what that adds.

Overall, I think this is a positive. Lots more returns, with the only loss being the occasional surprise onside kick. That’s not a terrible tradeoff, IMO.

1 Like