New kick return rules

Patt MacCafee said these are pretty much the formations used in practice to prevent injury.

I say just get rid of kick offs. get the ball at the 35. And if you want to go for an Onside kick. Do what the UFL does. Ball at 35. 4th and 15.

But even if the ball is returned. What percentage of kicks returns are over 35 yards?

It’ll be fine once we’re all used to it, just like the college OT. No one liked it when it was instituted and now most everyone loves it. I think this new kickoff rule will provide a lot of excitement, and I think it’ll only take a couple of weeks before we’re used to it.

1 Like

I’d hate that personally. Might as well just eliminate all kickers and punters.

Special teams returns are exciting IMO

They are. Punt returns make sense. Lots of factors.

But kick off? Again what percentage make it past the 35? I bet under 4%. so whats the point.

Punting and kicking still makes sense. But kickoffs. Its just pointless any more

Part of the team that created the proposal says that this rule change would likely lead to 85% of kickoffs being returned.

1 Like

But what percentage will make it passed the 35? Thats the thing. Even when a kick is returned i feel like most dont go past or much further than the 35.

I agree. I think Vaki would be even better at it.

It may damn near revive Kadarius Toney’s career :grinning:

1 Like

I am not sure why that would be the focus, given the rule changes in this proposal. All a kicker has to do is kick the ball in such a way that it comes down anywhere from the 20 yard line to the goalline. Once that happens, the receiving team is forced to return the ball OR down it in the endzone. Any ball that hits in the landing zone and is downed in the endzone comes out to the 20 yard line. The 35 yard touchback only applies if the kicker strikes it so hard that it flies into the endzone. So the entire concept of a touchback is altered.

1 Like

I just dont know how many teams are going to risk kicking it in that range. Maybe at the front of the enzone.

Which cool results in more returns. But they wont make it passed the 35.

If it results in fewer block in the back penalties then I’m all for it. Nothing spoils a great return more than a block in the back penalty.

1 Like

Why is the 35 yard line so important to you?

I much prefer the 34 yard line…for drives if you know u know

We recently won a game by doing an onside kick unexpectedly early in the game.

Super fun, and a game changing play

1 Like

Because the nfl is changing the rules for safety and more fun right.

My whole point is, is it really gonna change the game, is it going to change the outcome? No.

Our punter and kickoff guy is Jack Fox. He’ll sky the ball for his standard ridiculous hang-time, land it inside the 5 where a bunch of Lions will be standing around the returner waiting for him to catch a ball that he can’t fair catch. Catch, Smash, Grab!

Lots of long plays with balls inside the 20.

Let this guy return kicks…

They’ll find soemthing …

Does the NFL version allow teams to move at kickoff rather than at reception?

McAfee said this change would influence WHO does the kicking off. Pat kicked off for the Colts because he had a big booming leg. But suddenly Adam Vinitieri might be the kickoff guy. Pat also said that there are some kickers who get passed over for jobs because they can’t kickoff and the team doesn’t have a punter who can kick off. So they are forced to get a kicker who can also kick off. This would give teams more flexibility in selecting their kickers and punters.

One thing Pat said last season was how much kicking off can shorten a guys career. A leg only has so many full power swings in it, like a pitcher’s arm. And its not just about game reps. Its about all of the practice reps and warmup reps as well. So this rule change could extend Jack Fox career!

Football Yes GIF by Detroit Lions

2 Likes

No, pretty sure it was stated they couldn’t move until the receiver caught the ball or it hit the ground.

1 Like

What game are you referring to Natty? My brain does not remember that. But I did get hit in the head a lot playing sports. :wink:

1 Like