New Living room furniture question and poll

We have just purchased a new sofa, chair and end table. The lay-out will be the same as the furniture we have now, all lined up on one wall. The total width of the 3 items will be approximately 19 inches more from 139in to 158in. We currently have a 55 inch TV, I told the wife since the furniture will be bigger, we need a bigger TV. She said we should keep the TV we have now since the distance from the TV to furniture will be basically the same, 11ft. What do you think and how should I change her mind.

• Keep current TV
  • Buy 65 inch TV
  • Buy 75 inch TV
  • Buy 85 inch TV
0 voters

Write in vote

GIF by Best Coast

What’s your budget for that TV?

If you don’t have the money to buy a 65/75 inch TV with a top of the line picture, then I see no reason not to go get an 85 inch TV.

The only two logical arguments I’ve ever heard against getting the absolute biggest TV possible are price and picture. I don’t buy into this “the TV is too close” crap. No, it’s not too close. You’re too close then. :rofl:

“Honey, if we aren’t trying to fill at least 70% of the viewing space, then why’d we buy new furniture?”

and then when she responds, hit her with the:

“What? Family pictures are stupid. I know what you look like.”

2 Likes

You start with strong demand for the 85" tv, she will counter with the 65" tv, you keep pushing for the 85 until finally relent and compromise for the 75" TV. It pains you greatly to go down to this but, you will sacrifice for her sake.

1 Like

Or just go with 65 incher and move the recliner closer to the TV. Haha my old man sits literally in front of his TV. :joy:

The only acceptable answer here is New Wife.

Duh.

3 Likes

Ok, seriously.

They measure TVs in diagonal viewing area, right?

You just added a foot of space to the side, right?

So your viewing angle just got a foot shallower.

So your viewing space just decreased by a foot, let alone any glare from windows that hit the screen diue to that angle.

So, and its not me here, it’s Dead Old Kind of White Guys, like Pythagoras and Euclid that solved this problem for you milennia ago.

One bump to 65 for the distance, one bump to the 75
for the glare.

It’s science, dude.

2 Likes

Barry White Flirting GIF

2 Likes

VR goggles?

I have an 86” LG in my living room. Great picture and I can see it from the kitchen when I’m cooking. Works out great. But it is a monster when standing next to it. I have a 120” projector in the basement. My couch is only about 12’ from the screen and it’s awesome. It’s where I watch just about every Lions game and many other sporting events. I voted for 75 inch in the poll, but now I’m thinking 85 inch is the way to go. My wife used to say that certain TVs were too big and I told her there was no such thing.

1 Like

Agree.

I’ve got 120” screen in my theater room and a pair of 65”s above the bar and pool table in the man cave.

I upgraded my family room to smaller console vs a wall until and mounted a 77” oled- I am PISSED that I didn’t do the 86”- but it enough to rebuy a few months later

My hearth room (off kitchen) is my bourbon sipping chairs area and I have a 55” above the fireplace (it’s a built in that will accommodate no more) and I can’t bear to watch anything other than sports center or Sunday morning golf.

Get that 75” plus brother. Live once

You’re technically compromising, which wives love.

1 Like

I don’t hate this idea either.

I feel so small now; my is only 55”!

download one of those aps that show you how different sized TVs fit into your space

I think Sony has a good free one. It’s how I convinced the wife a bigger TV wouldn’t overpower the space

Heres what a 75 looks like 200 inches away on 1x on my S23+ camera. 85 would work but tight, it really depends on your wall space, room layout and ceiling height

2 Likes

Is that a Howard Miller you have there?

Yep.

They have been a client off and on corporate life and PI life since they are nearby in Holland, but this is actually Mah Sweetie’s

The development of the business relationship between Miller and Kieninger as it pertains to WW2 is a fascinating story.

Got my beauty for $300. When I went to pick it up I asked what he wasn’t telling me because this was a stupid price for it, he said, “This was an anniversary gift from my first wife. Let me introduce you to my current wife, who isn’t a fan.”.

Fair enough, sir, I’ll take it from here. Ma’am, thank you very much.

1 Like