New RB Reynolds - introducedHimself to team in huddle!?!

But its just the first preseason game. If it starts happening in the regular season I would be concerned.

He was consistently good for Green Bay. However he wouldn’t be the first Green Bay player to be good for them and come here and disappoint.

As of right now though Im more excited to see what he brings to the offensive than worried.

I didn’t “miss” it… I just am not overly excited about a few runs against 3rd and 4th stringers who blew their assignments.

I certainly don’t think he is close to over taking Jermar, who was all Pac-12 and co-offensive player of the year for pac-12.

2 Likes

“if he keeps up”, that’s what she said.

3 Likes

Yes and Reynolds has been in the league a couple seasons without a lot to show for it.

You miss the point, it wasn’t the oline or the dline he was playing against, it’s that his hole was closed like others but he seen the cut back lane and bursted threw it. He had patience. Didn’t just run the script right in his olines ass.

1 Like

Dunbar got 1.2M with just 137k guaranteed.

Williams averaged 4.2 and 4.3 yards the last 2 years on a playoff team, and did great in passing game and pass pro.

I feel like we can avoid panicking about the ineptitude of Holmes with regards to a pair of guys who got 1 and 2year deals respectively, and for about 4m combined. Now we are even paying Dunbar.

We over scrutinize every move almost to a fault. When a guy gets a vet Min deal and gets cut, it’s not an indictment of a regime, it’s barely news.

See - I don’t care about “who” was in defense…. It’s still simply badass that he literally flew into Detroit, took and passed his physical and only a few hours later without Any! TC or time to learn anything play book wise … and he balled and executed on the field with a group of basically amounted to total strangers, in a strange town, and played in a game without any installs…. And he took what the defense gave him…… to the house baby!

He could get cut this week but he still was amazing last night

2 Likes

I’m not really scrutinize just pointing out 2 of our Main FA signings ones gone and ones not looking good in my book. We didn’t have much money but these two were expected to help in a big way. This team still looked promising.

Williams looked like shit to me. There…I said it.

GIF by Bravo TV

I didn’t miss his point.
His point was that Reynolds’ level of play in that game was good enough that the Lions might cut Jermar if he “keeps it up”.

So my response is… was it REALLY that impressive???

I am not going to get super excited about a RB because he recognized that he SHOULD cut back when he is looking at 2 DL directly in his path… and a 3rd DL running himself out of his assigned gap and into Reynolds’ view. Look at big old #62 (Harrel) running past the other DT towards the outside… totally abandoning his gap responsibility.

This picture shows the LB crew prior to snap.
The MLB is on the hash directly over the center.

And after the snap… the MLB (Giles-Harris) who started on that hash mark has now turned his hips away… and took several steps away from the flow of the play to start dropping into coverage.

This is a really strange read on the play since RG Tommy Kraemer crossed his face as he fired out 3 yards downfield, which means that the Lions would have had an ineligible receiver penalty if they were throwing the ball.

MLB Giles-Harris is so far out of position, that Tommy Kraemer doesn’t even stay to block him.
He heads further down field looking for a different guy to block.
The hole in the middle of the defense is about 8 yards wide.

Great run? No.
It was really bad defense on that play.

1 Like

Have to disagreement some brother…

Just watch the tape on that play…. He stop, stutter step to the right was freaking a thing of beauty….

He used vision to set the open lane to his right…. He stopped in place and jumper to the right and showed burst as well

The play was all on him seeing and reacting as he should of….

1 Like

Did you do the same for Jefferson and especially Williams?

1 Like

Haha… I think we all agree there wasn’t anything good in the run game early on in the game.
I’m just not getting tipsy on kool-aid for Reynolds.

Pointing out one back seeing a hole and others not seeing the hole isn’t getting tipsy on kool aid. Its some seeing something you missed.

2 Likes

Jamaal Williams is already a bust after one preseason game?!? LOL
Oh boy.

3 Likes

Yet again… I will point out that I was in NO WAY comparing the performance of Reynolds to the other RBs. It is NOT relevant to the point I made that was directed only to the fact that Reynolds had 2 positive runs that were largely the result of poor defense.

But… if you want to say I “missed” something about Jermar’s runs last night… we can take a closer look at his 4 runs to see all of the great opportunities he missed (heavy sarcasm there).

Run #1 in 2nd quarter.
Jermar hits the hole and is passing the LOS at 28 yard line here following a double team block by Stenberg and E. Brown.
Epenesa and Rousseau had effectively set the edge at the DE postiion.
Matt Nelson is on a knee at 27 yard line after whiffing on a cut block that allowed the backside DT to get penetration and gave Jermar no other lane.
Bills LB Tyrel Dodson (#53) was not touched by any Lion blocker and closes in on Jermar.
This pic shows the back of Bolden’s jersey, because Cameron Lewis (#47) had just finished tossing him aside with little effort.
Bills CB Siran Neal (#33) sidestepped Brown, and the Bills end up with a triangle of defenders to tackle Jermar after a 5-yard gain.

Run #2 on 4th down.
JJ gets the handoff with 8 blockers in front of him.
Bills have 9 defenders on or behind the LOS when he gets the ball.
The edges are set. Every gap is filled by a Bill defender. No where to go.

Run #3 in 3rd quarter.

JJ gets the handoff 5 yards deep.
The Bills have 8 guys playing the run… against 7 blockers.
And… the Bills have a DT and a DE that are already 3 yards deep and passed the blockers.
There is no chance on this play

Run #4 for 3 yard gain.

JJ gets the ball on an inside zone run.
Lions have 6 guys attempting to block. Bills have 7 defenders in box.
Both of the DEs have set the edge to the outside, plus #36 is unblocked on backside.
The NT has pushed E. Brown back into the backfield on the play side, which would have forced Jermar to try to bounce outside.
However, he recognized that the DE had outside leverage to top of screen, so he looked for a cutback.
OLT Nelson took a weird angle and ended up practically pushing OLG Stenberg in the back.
TE Brock Wright can be seen falling to the ground as he whiffed on his block on Boogie Basham (#96)… and Jermar had no other option than to try to push the pile that Stenberg and Nelson had started.

I didn’t see any 8 yard wide lanes on those runs by Jermar to compare to the one Reynolds had on his TD run. Look at all that open green turf below…

Vision and patience is vital to the running game. RB is a position you either got it or don’t. And rather he’s a bust or not he showed a lack of vision and patience . You might like that in your RBs but I have found when a back lacks these 2 things they don’t amount to much.

And isn’t that what everyone said after Patricia and the Jets game. It’s only the first game. If I had a dollar everytime one of you said this i wouldn’t have to work.

But day what you will a RB that lacks vision will struggle.

Vision is God given but patience can be taught. But we are definitely on the same page in what we look for in a RB. People like to put everything on the line but in reality it’s the RBs Vision and patience that can make or break many run plays. Some guys can consistently find the small opening and time it to get thru it while others either don’t see it or their timing is off so the hole is closed when they get there.

2 Likes

I always enjoyed watching Le’Veon Bell run for his patience. He’d stutter so he could hit a hole that hadn’t opened yet at full speed, like he could see into the future.

3 Likes

Oh, was that what “everyone” said? LOL

I’m not saying that Jamaal is or isn’t a bust, but it’s just been one game.

He’ll be a decent power type of back, he’s not someone that is going to do what Reynolds did on that TD run but that’s not what we brought him here for. If he can be that 2nd RB to pound some yards, get first downs, and run tough to wear a defense down, he’s what we wanted.

If you want some elusive, speed RB, that’s not him.