New regime next year will keep Stafford?

thank you for the humor. It is much appreciated. :grinning:

I think Tampa could be an option if Brady doesn’t come back. It might have to be a team w a retirement at QB so there is cap room. Colts, Saints and Bucs could be in that situation

or several…

Lot of qbs like Herbert are coming out every year . I don’t think this old concept of unproven veteran qbs will have any demand like in the past . Never even heard a rumor like somebody is interested in stafford since lions drafted Stafford. Already slow and like iggy said grass is not going to help, also cold weather is not his comfort zone, always lay egg in lambeau field. Same applies to rivers and Matt Ryan too

I think Herbert is better than most. Nothing he would do would surprise me, as I don’t think we’ve seen his ceiling yet. Dude’s gonna be a good one. I am probably not putting near as many into that category as you. I think Matt is undervalued by Lions fans, but time will tell (maybe).
To me, Matt is more like Favre than anyone I’ve seen. I liked Favre as well, even though he did spell his name wrong.

My personal preference is that we keep Matt and draft a youngster to learn behind him for a year or 2. Get a good coach, slaughter some folks in the playoffs, boost our own players stock so they have trade value, then make decisions from there. I would love it if we could land someone better than Matt. Given the current state of the franchise, I don’t think it’d do us much good, this year. Good lawd, I hope we can get good coaches in here.

2 Likes

Agreed.

I’d like to see an OC that can maximize the benefits of a big-armed gunslinger with a dangerous vertical offense.

I know I’m in the minority here, but I think Jameis Winston could be a perfect backup / heir apparent, especially with the right OC. He’s got that same aggressive gunslinger mentality and talent. He just needs to learn to be a teeny bit more conservative and be in an offense that maximizes his skills.

2 Likes

I like Jameis as a backup with upside but if we’re rolling with Stafford and Winston I’d still want a young QB later in the draft.

Arm talent wise I agree. Elway as well. But both of those guys were better athletes during their primes.

Then you’re not paying attention. Team have reached out to the Lions many times and it’s been reported.

Im just curious why every thread you make has to be about getting rid of Stafford. Did Matt beat you up in school or something?

I mean … how many different threads do you need to start about getting rid of Matt?

12 Likes

I love what u saying its time for Stafford to go

My step son is a Steelers fan he is praying that they trade or get Stafford if he leaves, he’s says they will win a super bowl for sure.

Not like that air. If we had drafted a proven qb like Watson and if he made same productivity like Stafford by now,he will be out of town now . Saying we never had a qb like Stafford is not an excuse .,It’s like comparing average to bad .Personally I believe lions screwed their future just building everything for stafford ignoring that fact that he is the main constant. Again it’s just my personal take . He keep making same mistakes as a veteran , everybody is calling out Patricia and Quinn , no single word on Stafford , he is the one playing in the field. This age and day I can a get full stack qbs in every draft and why should I build around a non proven qb who can’t make plays under playoff simulated defense

Lols wow

When you have a top Talent at QB like we do in Stafford …you build around that .

The only constant ??? Matt Stafford is the near only positive constant .

The Defense constantly sucks
The Coaching is always in flux .
We are always needing to score to keep it close , because the Defense constantly sucks.

The consensus take by most outsiders fans , media , players, Coaches around the league etc is Safford is top notch and being wasted here …with that said , it would point to any outsider Coach or GM that Stafford is the guy to lead this team …and be the leader to implement any new plan …Why? Because he is a top talent at the position . You build around that and Stafford has showed no signs of losing his abilities.

5 Likes

This 100%. The organization is a joke and it’s only jaded angry fans looking for a scapegoat who view stafford as the issue and the solution is moving on.

2 Likes

I respect all your take because 95 % seems to be Stafford supporters in this board.Whenever I listen to Detroit sports radio 95 % don’t support Stafford . So I am really confused . They are fans just like all of us too know. We are all seeing the same thing right . It’s been long know, time to clean coaches and even old good called players know.

Thats it , these guys look at Stafford and say we haven’t won any meaningful games and guys like rodgers, gms and coaches say without Stafford that team so bad it don’t win a game. You guys look at his 5000 yrds season and say hey we were behind most the time they are garbage time yrds, and the rodgers and nfl people look and say he’s one of 5 QBs to do such a thing and he did it playing with poor organization.
You guys see his come back wins and say well if we wasn’t behind he wouldn’t have to do that. They say how many times can a defense put this guy in that bad of position yet he finds a way. I want one of them. You guys look at his arm and say he has no touch, they say dude can make throws most can’t.
That’s why he will still be here even with a new coach and GM.

Most of you just wanna copy the new fad with KC Lols

3 Likes

Let’s wait and see.

So 95% for or against stafford is bullshit number that you made up in your head. I listen to a lot of sports talk radio Detroit centered and people aren’t 95% against stafford. Having lived in multiple big cities the talk about Detroit is always “dumpster fire franchise wasted 3 superstar talents”. Steelers talk radio would love to see Stafford in Detroit if Ben retires after this year.

Don’t worry bro. Stafford will be gone soon enough and the lions will have another round of Rodney Pete’s, Erik Kramer’s, Dave Krieg, Scott Mitchell’s, John Kitna’s, Andre Ware’s, Jeff Garcia’s, Joey “fucking” Harrington’s…

6 Likes

I was a Scott Mitchell fan …really liked him here . Charlie Batch as well . Not top QB talents but if we could have combined the two of them that would have been a hell of a QB .

1 Like