NFL.com 49ers @ Lions Preview

Good breakdown:

2 Likes

It’s going to be an interesting game. Both teams have a ton of unanswered questions.

3 Likes

The Lions are the complete unknown going into game 1 scheme wise because we have shown almost nothing in preseason with new coaches across the board.

The 49ers are who they are though offensively. They are going to try to run the ball often using the zone running scheme behind their strong o-line and then use bootlegs and play action. That’s what Shanahan does.

If the Lions can slow down the rushing attack of the 49ers, then we got a chance. If the 49ers establish the run early, it’s lights out for us.

The 49ers defense is also a bit of the unknown, Saleh is gone and so are the 2 starting corners. The Lions need to try to have long sustained drives against that cover 3 scheme. Hard to get big plays on that scheme.

Whoever wins the TOP wins the game IMO.

2 Likes

I feel like the lions need Turnovers, in order to win. If we can turn it into a fist fight and a game of field position - Fox will become a factor. Yo, SF…Don’t let Fox become a factor!

I think we could lose to a superior roster in this one, but we have a puncher’s chance if Swift can rip a couple of big ones. Maybe a ST fumble for them and/or a big turnover and/or big PR for us?

I think it’ll take some magic for us to win this one.

4 Likes

Hopefully AG and A. Lynn have some tricks up their sleeves. The 1st game of the season is often where huge upsets take place.

3 Likes

I thought our run D looked promising in the preseason. If they can maintain that and improve on it, I think we might have a surprisingly good run defense. Especially with Glenn and Capers building this defense, they can make some noise!

Offensively I agree. It’s gonna be a 15 round boxing match and we are just gonna have to keep getting first downs and put points up. TOP will be a huge factor.

3 Likes

During their press conference today, I felt like Holmes and Campbell feel like they have a surprise in store for SF, and are anxious to unleash it.
That would be a special batch of koolaid for sure.
Playoff threads will abound.
My head tells me the score will be close to some of those predictions under the video.

4 Likes

Why wait? Let’s get started. Playoffs or bust!

3 Likes

Just please sweet baby Jesus, don’t give up a 40 burger to a bottom 5 team with a rookie qb in the coach’s opener.

5 Likes

The 49ers run game even looks strong with their scrubs. I don’t like rat boy but their run schemes seem to work regardless of personnel. Lions D can’t be vanilla and adjustments will be huge to try to force SF out of their zone schemes and into man blocking. Wish their rookie was starting because he would be easier to confuse than jimmy grapenuts.
Who knows maybe the Lions will stun them (everyone?) with quick strike offense and give the D a lead to play with? It’s why they play the game.

4 Likes

49ers are a good team especially when healthy. Going to be a tough game to start but it’s the NFL. Anyone can beat anyone.

2 Likes

This is why I think its a little bogus that the league hands us an early season version of the 49ers before the injuries set in.

2 Likes

We’ll win this game.

5 Likes

The good news for us is that this year the defensive line is our strength. It’s also so much more athletic. Same can be said about our offensive line. This matchup is literally reversed mirror images. Their corners are new and unproven vs our wide receiver group that’s new and unproven. They have a solid offensive line vs our solid defensive line. We have a good offensive line vs their good defensive line.

It’s funny to say given how talented this 49ers team is but this could very well come down to coaching and whoever makes the fewest mistakes at quarterback.

1 Like

Y’all know I hope I’m 100% wrong, but…

c6d2a3e0-6cb6-421b-841e-06749d7a2a36_text

5 Likes

Bosa is scary in this one.
Taylor Decker will need to be lights out.
Sewell will have to settle in and play big boy downs for four quarters.
Whoever wins turnover battle wins this game.
Need big juice out of Swift, Hock, and AmonRa.

2 Likes

Bosa mainly lines up on the left side but he does move around a lot so I’d say Sewell needs to be more lights out than decker

1 Like

Bosa isn’t an elite run defender. Sewell should have that advantage.

The 49ers suffered more catastrophic injuries last year than any team I can think of in recent memory. At this point in time, the 49ers are more talented and have run their offensive scheme for a few years now. Bosa can blow an entire offense up by himself. Shanahan is an X-factor.

I definitely think the lions can get to a point where they can compete with the 9ers eventually, but I don’t think that time is right now.

That’s why they play the games though.

1 Like

Nick Bosa mainly lines up over Decker, but he will flip occasionally depending on matchup. What sucks about facing the 49ers when their healthy is its a tough day at the office across the board. If you don’t draw Nick Bosa you get Dee Ford. If you don’t get Ford or Bosa you get Arik Armstead. If you don’t get Ford, Bosa or Armstead you get Javon Kinlaw.

Nick Bosa is one of the best run defending edge guys in football. That’s one of the things that makes him so special. His power, hand placement and discipline are a coaches dream.

2 Likes