NFL draft 2022 rankings: Updated top 25 prospects, best by position in Mel Kiper's Big Board

I think it’s way, way too early to tell, the process is gonna cause a lot of guys to drop and a lot of guys to rise and whether we go QB or not depends on too many variables. And while we absolutely need to solve the QB situation, what if there just aren’t any solutions at QB? There are plenty of drafts where NO QBs hit, this might be one of those (in fact that’s the way I lean). If a later-round one hits, it’s usually just a lucky guess, like the Cowboys getting Dak when they really wanted Paxton Lynch.

1 Like

hey, as long as Hock IS here, HE is our TE and a pretty good one, yes he’s been blocking more, yet that is part of a TE’s responsibilities. you get another TE that sends a negative message to Hock, that he’s not cutting it and we will lose him to. then your left relying on a rook , who better be as good or better than FAST.

Guess you never seen 2TE sets ? 2 good TE in the red zone can be hard to defend.

yes I have, however that might , not sure at this time, be a luxury . The team is weak, save for maybe 6 players, so we have a lot of heavy lifting this offseason. If they don’t make educated choices, or guess? It’s going to weaken areas of this team …the picks have to be right or not at all ! and IF there is room for a decent TE ? I’m not against that at all. can only help IMO.

Going into the draft I don’t think TE is a need for this team.

1 Like

Brock Wright has 1 catch for 2 yards this year.
He had 7 catches in his Notre Dame career.

There are only 2 TEs on the roster.

It is a need… just not at the top… or even middle… of the list.

1 Like

I don’t see it as need for the draft. There’s FA, Undrafted FA’s and so forth. If there’s a guy later in the draft that falls I’m great with it. But I just don’t see a “need”. We have enough draft capital already associated with the position lol.

2 Likes

agree… would rather get a free agent.

And it looks like 90% or so of veteran NFL TEs are free agents this year… holy smokes!!!

1 Like

I was told a few days ago because I didn’t see TE as a need at all that the poster could never talk NFL Football with me again… :laughing:

Lions have 2 TEs on the roster.

NFL teams almost always carry 3 TEs… or more.

The 3 teams that have NFL best 8 wins…

Green Bay has 4 TEs on roster (not counting Tonyan on IR)… and utilize 3 of them at least 20% of snaps.

Titans have 3 TEs that have played over 200 snaps and also each has over 10 catches.

Cards… the Air Raid team… have 4 TEs with over 125 snaps on the season. After losing Maxx Williams to injury, the Cards traded for Ertz to get them back to 4 TEs on the active roster.

And then there is Belichick.
He values TEs enough to sign the top 2 UFAs and hand them $56 million guaranteed.

TE is a need.

May not be wise ro draft 1 when there are a ton of UFAs available this year… but it is definitely a need.

2 Likes

You can lead them to water but your facts won’t make them drink. Drafting one is the wisest route so you can use the big bucks on WR, LB and Secondary. Not understanding the actual role and relationship between teams with TE depth and their records is one that people with limited knowledge and capacity to understand will never get. That conversation is lost.

Are the Jets, Giants, or Eagles in dire need of a top flight DE?

We will have to wait to see what the options are in free agency at WR.

Looking at the list… I am currently predicting that Godwin, Sutton, Williams, A-Rob, and Adams will never see the open market.

IMO… Gallup, Chark, OBJ, Fuller, Juju, Watkins, Kirk, Watkins, Keelan Cole, and Tim Patrick are the guys that will be left in the under 30yo group.

There are a ton of TEs hitting free agency under the age of 30yo… and some have nice upside.

No idea who he is… gonna deduce he’s a punter though.

1 Like

He’s a TE…a position the Lions least need to spend a high draft pick on

Yeah, I gotta agree with you there.

Good, it’s nice to see you guys sort yourselves out.

What TE’s out of the tons are you thinking of?

Goedert, Njoku, Uzomah, Tonyan, and Gesicki might be a little pricey… and they may not all hit the market.
Evan Engram will likely get too much money for a guy that has many soft tissue injuries.

Mo Alie-Cox, Hayden Hurst, Geoff Swaim, OJ Howard, Will Dissly, Dalton Schultz, Ross Dwelley, Anthony Firkser, Jordan Akins, and Ian Thomas are guys that I would take a look at in free agency… and may not cost a fortune.

None of those teams are fielding the equivalent of a Junior College roster either. The Lions didn’t start the year off with just two TEs….so them having just two TEs has to be because of injury. That said…I still don’t think it makes the TE position a “need.” What is a need is impact players on defense. What is a need is credible WRs. LB has been a problem ever since Reggie Brown suffered a career ending injury. They need help in the secondary. These are all positions that supersede a need at TE. However, I don’t think the Lions can go wrong signing a free agent TE…I agree with that totally. I just don’t think they need to spend high draft picks on the TE position….it’s not in dire straits :man_shrugging: