NFL Network: Multiple teams planned to acquire Gibbs in the teens

Let’s put this thing to bed. Not sure how many sources we need to tell us that Gibbs was the right pick at 12.

30 Likes

Heard the Jets and Pats both wanted him….

5 Likes

The Gibb pick goes against conventional wisdom and recent draft history. Therefore, that’s not a good thing in many people’s minds.
Me on the other hand…loves the pick.

12 Likes

A lot of us were pissed in moment but more i review that wasnt bad pick…might not be popular but not terrible

4 Likes

This was also a win now kind of move. It’s clear Brad sees the Lions as being ready to compete and said as much when he mentioned these guys are ready to contribute right now. Very different from Jamo last year.

Ask yourself this question, if the Lions could take one player to make this already top 5 offense better, who would it be?

Gibbs is likely the best answer to this question. He is additive to the RB room, especially if Swift is on the outs/hurt. He is additive as a pass catcher.

Bijan? A better all around RB but would be splitting carries with Montgomery and so it’s really a depth pick.

A combo OT? Once again likely a depth pick but doesn’t add to last year’s oline right away.

A TE? Kincaid is probably the other guy at 12 that gives you something extra. TEs typically take time to develop and the Lions supposedly like Mitchell a lot and he was limited last year by injury.

A WR? NSJ is probably the best and most ready to add value. There is overlap there with St. Brown but I think he could add some dynamism to the Lions. He was still there at 18.

A QB? Levis and Hooker are still there… Both would likely be depth to Goff for this year at least and thus not contributing.

So when you come down to it, if you could add one player to this offense to help them get from top 5 to top, Gibbs is the single best player to add in the first round and at 12 he is affordable for the long term.

16 Likes

I don’t follow this point as they’d both add to running back room

I think it does show that lions valued Jamaal and Montgomery for the role we saw Jamaal in last year

Rather than Montgomery being the back that opens up the playbook.

4 Likes

The only thing that makes me salty is we passed on Bijan at 6. Sounds like we had Gibbs higher anyway so probably a moot point.

Gibbs has high end potential, similar to an Alvin Kamara, IMO.

Bijan has all time potential, similar to LT.

While I expect/expected both to be excellent pros, there is a stark difference between LT and Kamara. I honestly would have been pissed if we took Gibbs at 6. The fact we picked up what essentially amounts to a late 1st, and then got Gibbs while giving up a 3rd makes it much more palatable.

4 Likes

He’s MUCH faster than Kamara (who ran a 4.56 at his combine). If he hits his high-end ceiling I’d say he’s more Marshall Faulk or McCaffrey, which is definitely comparable to the high-end Bijan comps. Tall task for either to hit those heights of course, but that’s where they are IMO.

4 Likes

Bijan is an all around and more of a power back like Montgomery. Gibbs is more of a scat back like Swift. Both Montgomery > Jamaal and Gibbs > Bijan at catching the ball. This was clearly important. That is tailor made for Goff as a QB that can do the quick game like Brees did with Engram and Kamara.

It looks like DC is trying to recreate the Saints offense and Gibbs was more fit/need than Bijan.

4 Likes

I think when Anderson and Witherspoon were off the board the plan B for Gibbs was enacted… Just based off what BH said

7 Likes

Lions likes him at 6, but wanted more picks and were confident he would be there at 12….wow……

https://twitter.com/tompelissero/status/1651998280631431186?s=46&t=mX4UxGjrvdU8nHO48U8nmQ

3 Likes

Put on the tape and compare the speed of Bijan to Gibbs.

One has NFL speed. Not sure about the other.

3 Likes

Holmes admitted they had players they liked that went before 6.

That could be Witherspoon. Could also mean Anderson.

But two things can be true. They could have felt Gibbs met the demands of a 6th overall pick while also liking other players.

If they had picked Gibbs at 6, the forum would have imploded.

7 Likes

Exactly what I thought after the pick…I was like holy shit we are going all in here. Now, hopefully Gibbs stays healthy and is electric. A RB’s dream scenario to run behind Sewell, Ragnow and the boys up front.

Gibbs is also good in the passing game which could be deadly if Jamo ever gets on the field. The speed of those 2 are going to cause serious problems for defenses. And then of course St. Brown is always freaken open in the slot and across the middle.

7 Likes

You are right about the speed with Kamara, I was more so thinking play style.

I don’t quite see the Faulk comp, IMO. Don’t think he is nearly as physical as McCaffrey either.

The best comp I have seen is a prime Jamaal Charles. Injuries derailed his career towards his late 20’s, but prime Charles was among the most dangerous players in the league.

4 Likes

I like the Charles comp from a running style perspective, but Gibbs is a much better pass-catcher. That’s why I like McCaffrey and Faulk. They’re both a little shiftier laterally, but Gibbs is more explosive than both. Like Faulk, Gibbs will do his best work in space. I think we drafted him to use him in a similar way the Rams used Faulk.

7 Likes

Could also mean Richardson too :face_with_hand_over_mouth: :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

3 Likes

Also reported that multiple teams were trying to trade back into the 1st round to get Campbell but Lions took him.

2 Likes

That would be something if he got anywhere close to Faulk. Did Gibbs play in the slot a lot in college!? Or was he catching passes out of the backfield? What type of routes was he running? @Thats2 - You must have been shocked with Gibbs at 12 I bet, I know I was.

more 2 RB personnel… with Gibbs in motion….
threatening the defense horizontally and vertically….

Bill And Ted 80S GIF by IFC

4 Likes