NFL salary cap rising $16 million+ in 2023

Salaries will adjust to the new number, just as they always do. Their percentage of the cap has stayed pretty consistent over the years.

5 Likes

That makes sense, right on

2 Likes

Season 4 Michael GIF by The Office

5 Likes

This is just making it official, all the sites have already factored this increase in. I can’t remember the exact number everyone was basing it off before, but this is very close to that. This doesn’t really change anything we have been discussing for the past couple months with regards to how much space we have available.

I believe deadstroke keeps tabs on this so he probably knows what places like spotrac and overthecap were figuring before the official word broke.

3 Likes

This is why drafting well and signing your good young players before they get to market gives you such an advantage moving forward.

4 Likes

This was posted by DeadStroke previously. At that point they were figuring a cap of 225mil, which is actually 200k more than this.

2 Likes

Yep. Contracts get more and more valuable the further into them you get. It’s like Goff’s contract right now. It’s a really good one for us, especially at the new cap number.

3 Likes

I’d be trying to pay St. Brown in season next year if he’s healthy

3 Likes

Yes, entering year 3, he does not have a 5th year team option like we have on Sewell. Lock up St. Brown sooner rather than later before he gets even more expensive would be a smart move.

4 Likes

Can we pay him now and cut to the chase?

Feels like this happened before recently and it worked out

5 Likes

St. Brown is everything we could want in a player, outstanding production, extremely hard worker, blocks like an animal, chip on his shoulder. Goff and him have a great connection on the field. He’s the kinda guy you don’t ever let see free agency.

5 Likes

I agree, he doesn’t make it to his contract year without a new contract. I hope he retires a lion

Maybe even front load it now while we have cap space so in a few years it’s not so expensive? Is that a thing?

Regardless #14 stays!!!

2 Likes

You are not oversimplifying it. That’s part of why some of us say “kicking the can down the road” isn’t as bad as some people try to make it out to be. Its also why it doesn’t make sense when someone tries to compare the NFL salary cap to home finances and credit cards.

This is an excellent point. The higher the cap the bigger the free agent contracts the larger the pay difference between rookie contracts and free agents.

Here’s the answer from NFL.com " Renegotiations: Rookie contracts for drafted players can’t be renegotiated or altered in any way until after the last regular-season game of the third contracted year. Undrafted rookies must wait until after their second season to amend a contract. Any rookie contract that is renegotiated or extended in any way is no longer considered a rookie contract and is not restricted by the rules governing such contracts."

2 Likes

Yes, that’s a thing. The 49ers gave Jimmy G $28M of would be signing bonus in the form of a roster bonus. Then his signing bonus was “only” $8M. So they ate $28M in 2018 which led to a nearly $40M cap hit that year. That made him cheaper in the future as they were not prorating that money. It also made him easier to cut or trade if they needed to.

Back when the 49ers did this they had tons of cash available.

2 Likes

Interesting, right on and thank you for all the info!

2 Likes

[quote=“stephenboyd57, post:13, topic:21256, full:true”]

You’d have to waive him to re-sign him, and you can’t waive him because he’d be playing in the Super Bowl in two weeks.

I could be complete wrong, however. Because the league rules say the waiver wire is “from the start of business year day after the Super Bowl through the end of the regular season”. So I’m not sure if the waiver wire applies the same way playoff teams can sign guys. Either way due to his time in this league, they can’t cut him. He has to be waived.

Either way, I wouldn’t take the chance of some other team finding a loophole.

But ASB isn’t stupid and neither are the Lions. ASB knows he’s getting paid, and the Lions know they’re paying him. They don’t even need to have a conversation about it this year.

2 Likes

I’m so confused now. Why would you have to waive him to give him a contract extension!?

Nevermind… I see what @Mr.Peabody posted. I did not know that.

So we can’t even talk to St. Brown until after next season, roger that!

2 Likes

You wouldn’t. I think it was proposed as a loophole in the system so we could sign him to a big contract early. But no way we take that chance.

2 Likes

Y’all familiar with Carlos Boozer and Cavs FA situation?

They let him out of his deal early and he was supposed to have a handshake deal to stay in Cleveland but he bolted to the Jazz.

1 Like

Houston is a good example. He was waived and re-signed. Two year contract off the practice squad, so it is no longer considered a rookie contract. It is considered a free agent contract.

Wait one more year for ASB to finish his third season and then pay the man. He too will then no longer be considered on a rookie contract.

1 Like