NFL suspends Steelers' Damontae Kazee for rest of season for hit on Colts receiver

https://twitter.com/NFL_DovKleiman/status/1736152633952362886/video/2

We see hits like that every once in awhile in Lions games.

Betting the league makes it a point of emphasis for the rest of the season and guessing we’re going to see some unreviewable phantom calls based upon what the refs thought they saw as opposed to what actually happened.

Dirty as ■■■■.

There’s “football” and then there’s whatever this was. ■■■■ Kazee. Pittman was defenseless, he knew it, and he knew he could have seriously injured him, and got up and celebrated the incompletion anyway.

Bad human alert.

Imagine the counselor opening his office door, being greeted by Kazee and Draymond Green.

That second hit, on 2d and 8, is even worse. Pittman’s extended and Kazee makes no effort to go for the ball. Just goes headhunting.

Glad the Colts won the game. Steelers didn’t deserve to win that one.

He probably deserves a short suspension. But the playoffs too? Not that the Steelers are going to the super bowl but it’s up to a 7 game suspension

Steelers aren’t going to make the playoffs. They’re dead in the water with no wind.

They’ve got 9 teams ahead of them with better records and lose the tiebreakers to all the 8-6 teams in the AFC South.

I agree but it’s still possible. 3 games is more than enough IMO.

I mean we have seen dudes rip helmets off and swing them as weapons and barely get that much.

Aaron Donald grabbed 2 helmets swung em around at peoples heads and got zippo games. Mind you it was a scrimmage but still

Yikes, I’d start looking for a new profession.

I don’t like the direction the NFL is taking with some fairly innocuous or unfortunate blocks leading to fines, but that is just an outright dirty and unnecessary play.

This is why I’m glad that Broncos safety was suspended. We don’t need any of our guys getting injured by a head hunter.

And it’s apparently his 5th unnecessary roughness penalty of the season. I’m sure the league was like…

… WTF dude. We’ve given you 5 warning shots across the bow. Now it’s time for the MOAB to be dropped on ya.

It’s more his mindset that needs to be adjusted and not just this incident that’s coming into play here.

2 Likes

I was unaware of that. Makes more sense to me now. Thx for sharing

One hit was big, one was dirty.

Celebrating the incompletion caused by a well-timed, legal hit? Sure.

Celebrating a huge possibly injury-causing hit on a guy who couldn’t even see you coming? GTFO.

1 Like

Brady defending the defenders

2 Likes

Even if they go 10-7, they need help to still make it…

I almost wish that would happen; but I’m not supposed to that :cry:

Does Tom Brady know how replay works? We all saw the same damn play.

And two things can be true at the same time. QBs should not lead their receivers into the clutches of a safety, but the defender—on both plays—made a dirty hit.

I like what Tom has to say. It’s a split second decision for everybody and to lay it solely at the feet of the defensive guy is a bit unfair because it’s not always intentional and they need to protect themselves as well. if he eases up and then it results in a TD and the other team scores. He gets benched? If he eases up and the running back lowers his helmet he should just take it and risk being the one injured?

It’s tricky and offenses are taking advantage of it. If it’s truly about protecting all players then yes all players need to get involved and share the responsibility.

1 Like

This was my take too.

Defenders are taught to separate the wr from the ball since middle school.
There needs to be more emphasis on keeping eyes up for tacklers, instead of just missile-ing your body at a guy. Maybe a rule that is parallel to never turned around to locate the ball on pi…as it pertains to tackling…head position helps to determine intent.

1 Like

It’s hard being a defensive player in modern football for sure. The hit did look kinda dirty. But the defensive players get fined all the time. Whereas offensive players can lower their head, drop the boom on defenders and everyone celebrates.

Choose offense kids if you don’t like being fined

Good points. Idk about dirty it looks like he just plays with reckless abandon. Even for his own body. It also looks like he MIGHT have thought he had a chance at the ball. It’s just unfortunate.

I think the fines are just a way of giving defensive players second thoughts about making plays like these and are just sending a message with this indefinite suspension.

Some players would gladly play the fines. Anyone remember the saints bounty gate? Maybe some teams have like a pool of money just in case or just set it aside themselves.

1 Like