NFL Waiver wire claims- Lions claim a rb?

Cardinals claimed former Eagles’ OT Brett Toth, per source. Toth gets to continue to chase his dream in Arizona, which has the Fort Huachuca Army Base in Cochise, AZ. Toth can serve the Cardinals and the military. 4th round grade given by a talking head in Philly
Former Seahawks’ DE Cassius Marsh, a casualty in Seattle from the Jadeveon Clowney deal, is now expected to stay in the NFC West and sign with the Cardinals, per source. Marsh had 5.5 sacks and 14 QB hits last year. Would play in a rotation with Terrell Suggs and Chandler Jones.

Bengals claimed two players on waivers: former Cardinals’ WR Pharoh Cooper and former Redskins’ RB Samaje Perine.

Dolphins shake up continues: Miami claimed five players on waivers today, including two from the Patriots. Claims: DE Trent Harris from New England. DB Ken Webster from New England. LB Deon Lacey from Buffalo. DE Avery Moss from the Giants. DB Steven Parker from the Rams.

Browns claimed former Cardinals’ TE Ricky Seals-Jones on waivers, per source.

Raiders claimed former Packers’ QB DeShone Kizer on waivers, per source.

Sunday, the Redskins claimed former Eagles’ RB Wendell Smallwood on waivers, per source.

Jets also claimed former Patriots’ WR Braxton Berrios on waivers, per source. DAMN DAMN DAMN

Jets claimed K Kaare Vedvik on waivers from Minnesota, per source. Jets tried trading for him with Baltimore; now get him for no draft comp.

Gaints claimed former Bengals’ WR Cody Core on waivers, per source.

Lions claimed former Seahawks’ RB J.D. Mckissic on wiavers from Seattle, per source.

Carolina claimed former Vikings’ WR Brandy Zylstra on waivers, per source.

Former Rams’ QB Brandon Allen, released this weekend, was claimed on waivers today by the Denver Broncos, per source. Allen now will be Denver’s No. 2 QB,

1 Like

According to an initial report from ESPN’s Adam Schefter, the Detroit Lions have claimed running back J.D. McKissic off waivers from the Seattle Seahawks.

McKissic is entering his fourth NFL season. He has been listed by the Seahawks as both a running back and receiver, but his primary function has been on special teams. He has just 50 carries and 36 receptions in his three seasons in Seattle, with almost all of that action coming in 2017. He was originally an undrafted free agent from Arkansas State.

He doesn’t move the needle much

1 Like

So I’m guessing his value is in knowing Bevell and his system, as well as special teams?

2 Likes

Yeah, I would think ST more than anything. I don’t know who in our backfield would get much time there besides Bawden. I’d prefer that Kerryon and Anderson not take extra hits when they’ll get the bulk of the carries.

Lions claimed RB J.D. McKissic off waivers from the Seahawks.

McKissic is a catch-first running back in the mold of ex-Lion Theo Riddick. The problem for McKissic in Seattle was he simply could not stay healthy. He’s familiar with Lions OC Darrell Bevell from their time together with the Seahawks and could step into a pass-down role right away.

RELATED:

1 Like

Dang, shoulda seen that coming

Ah, THAT J. D. Mckissic.

Thanks!

Looking at some of his college film and then some cutups of him in the NFL, he seems like an intriguing guy. A true hands catcher at the RB position, with explosive cutting ability that makes him a problem for LBs to cover…but reminds me of a poor man’s Isaiah Crowell running the football.

I know we get needlessly excited for these random pickups, but I think there is a legit reason to be excited about this kid being more than just a warm body…if he can stay healthy.

My question is, do the Lions have all 5 RBs active on game day? Is this guy like injury insurance, won’t play if the other 4 guys are good to go? Seems a lot like TyJo, not as fast but maybe shiftier. But, as far as I know, TyJo does not play on ST and this guy does.

I don’t think they’ll have all of them active. I think Quinn saw a potential contributor that our OC had experience with to bring in, so he took advantage of it. Looking at his game tape, I can see where he has enough of a skill set to just pick him up and worry about what to do with him later.

He was actually a WR in college. As a red-shirt freshmen, he caught 103 passes and 5 TD’s.
Dude almost had 300 catches in college!..only 47 rushing attempts.

Receiving & Rushing

Receiving Rushing Scrimmage
Year School Conf Class Pos G Rec Yds Avg TD Att Yds Avg TD Plays Yds Avg TD
*2011 Arkansas State Sun Belt FR WR 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
*2012 Arkansas State Sun Belt FR WR 13 103 1022 9.9 5 2 13 6.5 0 105 1035 9.9 5
*2013 Arkansas State Sun Belt SO WR 13 82 662 8.1 4 18 139 7.7 1 100 801 8.0 5
*2014 Arkansas State Sun Belt JR WR 10 52 629 12.1 0 9 115 12.8 1 61 744 12.2 1
*2015 Arkansas State Sun Belt SR WR 13 52 525 10.1 2 18 112 6.2 0 70 637 9.1 2
Career Arkansas State 289 2838 9.8 11 47 379 8.1 2 336 3217 9.6

J.D. is country-strong, posting 17 reps of 225lbs on the bench, good for 5th place among WRs competing at the NFL Combine. He also recorded the fastest 40 at A-State Pro-Day (4.59). It’s a good time, but it’s not elite. Of course, a 40 time doesn’t tell McKissic’s story. His versatility and toughness as a Red Wolves multi-purpose wideout does. Let’s hope the scouts are watching tape, too.

JD McKissic is actually a pretty interesting slot target to monitor. Could be a Lucky Whitehead or something

— Mario Puig (@NFLDraft_RW) April 5, 2016

Sounds like Powell…but playing RB.

Powell did play RB, and when he was “bigger” while playing RB when he first got to Florida…he seemed like a more explosive player. Once he slimmed down and moved to WR, he didn’t seem like the same guy…on so many levels.

I didn’t know this guy from a hole in the wall before we picked him up. After watching some of his game film in college, and limited video of him in the pros…I am definitely intrigued. And like I said, when he runs the football he looks like a poor mans Isiah Crowell, so he definitely looks the part when he’s in the backfield. He doesn’t look like a WR trying to play RB.

Sounds like Riddick…

Yeah but without the 3.5 million dollar price tag…or whatever he was making.

1 Like
1 Like

Riddick was getting hurt and missing games, and some say he lost a step or two. I loved the guy but the Lions made the right call IMHO. As far as McKissic, well he didn’t cost nothin’ so let’s see what he can do. Might not be as good as a receiver but he might be a little better as a runner and he plays on ST.