Nick Williams finds a job

Mike Garafolo

@MikeGarafolo

The #Giants are signing veteran DL Nick Williams, source says. Williams started all 17 games with the #Lions last year and 13 the year before. To make room for Williams, the team is waiving DL Jabari Ellis, who signed as an undrafted free agent out of South Carolina.

6 Likes

When you consider the amount of snaps Williams played last season, and the number of free agents the Lions retained, I wonder whether he just didn’t want to be here or whether he fell into the no turds category :thinking: Not exactly like joining the Giants is the path to a ring. On the other hand I have a hard time seeing him in the turd category.

Good for him. Seemed like a good dude.

He can serve the Giants in the same role as Michael Brockers did with the Lions last year: a cheerful collector of paychecks who shows the youngsters that reputation is more important than production. (That sentence really needs an emoji…)

5 Likes

I think it’s one of those “you can’t continue doing the same things over and over again and expecting different results.”

With Nick Williams in the lineup, the Lions were one of the worst, if not the worst, DLs in the NFL last season. Not really surprising that they wanted to move on from a 30+ year old veteran who wasn’t in their future plans.

3 Likes

I think it was the Lions weren’t interested in having him back. He starterd 17 games and had 0.5 sacks and 2 QB hits all season.

1 Like

Or like way overpaying Kenny Golladay!! The Giants love former Lions. They brought in Golden Tate at the end of his career too.

1 Like

Interesting. Definitely seems to be a trend, :laughing:

1 Like

I recall reading an article about how his wife is very much into diet and what to eat and Nick Williams shared that info with the young kids, how to eat and stay healthy. How to take care of your body at that position.

He wasn’t productive for us but he was probably a good veteran presence similar to Brockers who helped the kids eat better and train better. He may not have been a world beater but the guy does keep getting signed…

2 Likes

Good for him, glad to see him get another year somewhere. Seemed like a good dude.

3 Likes