No deal close with Goff - Schefter

Wouldn’t the Lions want to get Goff done before the draft? That was my thinking, but maybe HSV is onto something. I think Hendon Hooker has a little Teddy Bridgewater in him, but maybe better, but I can’t get my head around thinking he they are just waiting on him. It’ll just get more expensive or it’ll be too late.

I’ll tell you what I keep thinking in the back of my head: are we gonna run into the same problem that the Rams did with him?

We already got a Hooker and you want another one.

Animated GIF

I don’t think Hendon Hooker has a single thing to do with why Goff isn’t signed.

3 Likes

Draft party! Hookers to the left drugs to the right

3 Likes

I knew it all along. We’re drafting that QB and giving him number 7.

2 Likes

Man everyone needs to breath.

He said they are not close to signing. Not they are not close in terms.

I would suspect that Goff and the Lions are in lock step. And Goff could have said “Listen please sign these guys first and get them announced”. And then we will announce mine later or maybe at the beginning of training camp so it is on the down low and keep the focus on the team.

I do not read in anything in that comment that concerns me.

And yes maybe because I am listening to this dumbass sports radio show and they are trying to create drama on this contract for Goff stuff.

1 Like

Unless Goff gets injured, Hooker isn’t seeing a minute of regular season action outside of mop up duty in a massive blowout or a meangless final game. Goff is a UFA after next season so there won’t be time to evaluate Hooker.

1 Like

I think they can still get a decent evaluation of him in joint practices…which we face a couple different teams in. Plus throw him out there with the starters against the Lions 1st string defense in camp. Plus preseason games. It’s obviously not the same as live regular season bullets… but they’ll have some idea if he’s picking up the offense and has chemistry with WR’s or not.

It’s Scheffler

Goff will be signed by tomorrow morning

We can almost certainly franchise Goff once, Dak got franchised twice. I doubt we would go that route. If Dallas really likes Dak that much, they should have just paid him.

When a QB costs 52m AAV or 55m AAV it doesn’t matter…it’s a ridiculous amount of money. Theres no risk in waiting in terms of “it will be more expensive.”

The fact that a deal isn’t getting done should tell everyone he isn’t giving a discount. And I don’t care if it sounds egotistical…I totally understand not wanting to pay a QB like Goff Joe Burrow/Justin Herbert money. Because he isn’t on their level. And that’s not hating that’s just a fact.

One of these teams is going to buck the trend that you have to pay your QB because he’s better than most and everyone does it. I wouldn’t be shocked one bit if the Lions regime is the one to actually do it. And if they do, I totally get it.

2 Likes

I think we are getting near that point. And then what will likely come out of that if a few teams follow suit is the emergence of a starting QB middle class, and with it a 3rd approach to team building (meaning in addition to pricey franchise QB and rookie contract QB). I guess we have that already with Geno and Baker though ultimately I think they are viewed as transition QBs. What I’m speaking of is an era where a guy can be a decade starter but at a cost -30/40% of the top tier guys.

2 Likes

It’s needed imo. The above average QBs getting 12%+ of the teams cap is ridiculous and franchise breaking almost every single time. At any given time there are 3-5 QBs that make a true difference above the rest. You can pay them because they really are that much better and can make up for team deficiencies. Goff is not that kind of QB. And it’s hardly a knock on him as very few are.

The difference between QB5 and QB6 is like the difference between QB 15 and QB 25…it’s massive.

1 Like

Part of me wonders if Purdy is going to be the guy that starts that trend. He’s coming from Mr. Irrelevant so perhaps 4/140 is so much more money then he though he’s ever earn so he’s cool with it. I’d have to imagine Shanny feels confident he could figure it out with another trigger man if Brock says no.

2 Likes

Wolfcub will know at least 24 hours before the rest of us. I’ll just wait for him to post it.

4 Likes

For me personally…I view Purdy as a high end Jimmy G. He’s more accurate down field but doesn’t necessarily make all the “throws” or is a bonafide sit back and carve em up QB. His intangibles and mobility are key to his game. A try hard limited QB who has intangibles but is reliant on a great system. Take him off SF and away from Shanny and he’s Gardner Minshew esque.

2 Likes

It’s not nearly enough of an evaluation to move on from a top 10 QB in his prime on a Superbowl contender IMO.

I mean, if they want to hand the keys of a SB contender to a guy based entirely on practices (Practice? We talkin’ about Practice?) then good luck to them I say because that’s quite a giant leap of faith they’d be placing in him.

2 Likes

I agree. It would be risky for sure.

1 Like

Also risky is paying Goff like he’s Patrick Mahomes. That puts us at a tremendous disadvantage from a team that really has Mahomes. So lets hope Goff eventually comes to a reasonable number for a mid-tier QB.

1 Like