No deal close with Goff - Schefter

https://x.com/AdamSchefter/status/1783207272715362369

What about Alim Mcneil

He’s the real wildcard here

4 Likes

Maybe we sign Alim and draft a QB.

The Grinch Smiling GIF by The Good Films

2 Likes

The little voice in the back of my head that doesn’t like logic has said ever since last year’s draft that the staff was going to wait to see Hooker play before they made a decision on Goff. I kept telling it to shut up, but stuff like this makes me feel like that might actually be a possibility.

(And no, I don’t have schizophrenia. It’s a metaphor.)

4 Likes

Buy low sell high? Seems insane to me, and I have consistently been a Goff doubter. I ain’t complaining after last year…but man you never know with these guys. Sorry to steal your meme:)

They better run and hide if they pull a stunt this draft.

Edit: my main response got cut off somehow: I would think they want to get a deal done right now. Now is the time. I would defer to the cap experts like @DeadStroke but it seems you can play with the money more when you still have a year left on the current deal.

I dont think they are going to sign him this offseason. Look what FA DTs were getting. They got $30m+ Even the B level guys.

Keep hearing conflicting reports.
Goff said on that podcast
“Because im probably staying here a while” so im not sure what to make of this.

Like what does that mean?
Term? Guaranteed? Total?

1 Like

I can’t fathom they don’t work it out. But its worth mentioning what happened with Swaggy last year. Though they upgraded there. Is there really an upgrade out there? They’d have to trade him and then pray the QB they drafted hit. And they are a SB contender!

Im guessing. Where they started at.

Lions wanted
215 for 5 years (42aav) 125 guaranteed (58%)

Goff wanted
208 for 4 years (52aav) 170 guaranteed (82%)

Question is where are they now?

1 Like

QB is such a hit/miss position, that if you have something that works, you don’t screw with it. I can’t imagine anyone so egotistical that they think they will be better off with someone in the draft or via trade. You have to get a deal done with Goff.

My guess is that the Lions wanted to get ARSB and Sewell out of the way before really focusing on Goff’s extension. Goff’s contract will be the most money and the easiest contract to manipulate the salary cap.

Goff wants to be here and the Lions need Goff, I’m not worried.

19 Likes

I would be surprised if Lions started at 42aav, seems lowballing.

4 Likes

I don’t know about the numbers, but I do think there could be a disagreement about his worth with the sort of stats he puts up vs how good of a qb he actually is i.e limitation s and how much was system). They seem to love him, and he’s done everything they asked of him so I do think it will get done. If it doesn’t, then it’ll be like Swaggy where the agent just got in the way. I just don’t think they will overpay.

I think this really goes into how they feel about Goff. Is he really their guy? Or a guy they traded for and maximized? I don’t want to debate which one is true, but I do think that is what it comes down to. How hard can this be otherwise? It should be a priority.

ARSB signing seems like good news for Goff. I’m not sure he has the same value with other QBs. He’s a Goff type of receiver.

5 Likes

If Goff is the type of player that needs everything around him, like so many have said, then it does make sense, like Dead said, that they get those guys done first i.e Sewell and ARSB…

good point!

I think there’s some conflation of “Don’t expect a Goff deal to be announced today” with “OMG, they’re not even close!”.

R-E-L-A-X and listen to DeadStroke…

4 Likes

This.

I can’t imagine a world where the Lions (or any team) have a top 5-10 QB and he doesn’t walk into the season with a new deal.

6 Likes

I know the Lions would not leak this “info” and Goff doesn’t appear to be the guy who negotiates thru the press. I call BS on this story.

2 Likes

I figured this at the beginning of the off season.
I figured the 5th year tag would happen with sewell (surprised about the extension)
St brown would be shortly after

I even expect Goffs extension to come after

1 - 2nd and 3rd wave of FA. (Post Draft and Post June1)
2 - The NFL voids Suttons dead money

We get too much past july 4th and theres no update ill be worried. Till then its draft time baby!