Official 2019 NFL Draft Thread

F- this. I think I’d rather watch soccer.

Stupid Lions. Will always be losers.

This entire argument played out verbatim in 2014 with the Cap saying with Adrian is saying here almost word for word

Now I don’t know how his is going to turn out. But it’s deja vous…all over again

1 Like

…sorry?

1 Like

Not ecstatic but don’t hate the pick… helps shore up the OL, gives Stafford another surehanded target, and helps round out a huge team void from last season. If he even half lives up to the Gronk comparisons then we’ve got ourselves a keeper… that being said, everyone else I wanted was already drafted.

1 Like

You’re welcome

All good amigo. We are all entitled to our opinions :beers:

1 Like

After the attempted Gronk trade last year, you had to understand just how much Quinn values that position…TJ will help in the run game and also give Stafford a reliable receiving threat.

2 Likes

Hopefully Jesse James can help ease him into the role as well.

1 Like

Should’ve took Ed Oliver. Something about this seems familiar… Oh, that’s right! The 2014 NFL Draft. In this play, TJ Hockenson is playing Eric Ebron and Ed Oliver is playing Aaron Donald. Not saying that I don’t like TJ Hockenson. He would’ve been my second pick. But Oliver reminds me so much of Aaron Donald that I’m getting a very big case of deja vu. It’s a bad one, too.

1 Like

I’d argue we have a ton more depth and talent at DT than we did back then.

1 Like

I get arguing about the value of a TE that high.

I do not get the argument that it should’ve been a DT, considering it’s probably the one position we have locked down.

If value is what you want, it wouldn’t have been at DT.

1 Like

Hock is a solid pick for Quin. It won’t be a mistake. He is a proven athletic talent and a solid person. It’s value with little risk. He won’t drop the ball like Ebron and he will block a hell of a lot better.

4 Likes

Hock isnt Ebron, and Oliver isnt Donald. Its fun to talk about, but, in reality, there isnt any relationship between the two.

1 Like

Dude passes the sniff test. He likes contact and will block better than we have seen from that position in a long time. Hating him is like hating women because your last girl cheated. Different player. Different team. Different GM.

This is gonna help Mathew a ton. Let’s get a starting OG & DE tomorrow.

3 Likes

Oliver should have been a top 3-5 pick and he falls in our lap

I like Hockenson for a TE. He is compared to Kittle the pro bowl TE picked a couple years ago…in the fifth round

Hockenson isn’t guilty of Pettigrew and Ebron’s sins, but it’s hard not being a little upset with yet another 1st round TE, especially when we could have added a key piece on defense. Oh well, he should make an immediate impact, and if he completely lives up to his draft position, even better.

I assume we’ll see a lot of 2 TE sets this year.

1 Like

Schef reports we had trade down offers. Just stupid taking one of the deepest positions in the draft at 8. Sucks to be a Lions fan.

From optimum scouting:

http://www.optimumscouting.com/news/replacing-gronkowski

“Are TEs worth a 1st round pick?”

“…Outside of the quarterback position, tight ends have the steepest learning curve when transitioning to the NFL. The reason it can take years for a player to acclimate to an offense and develop into a starter is that the position demands a player to be a dependable piece in both the running and passing game. That means understanding the blocking scheme and how to read defenses from a blocking and passing game perspective. It’s also a time for these 21-22-year olds, who are competing against the most athletic and skilled players they’ve ever faced, to continue to fill out their frame and learn technique because there is zero room for error in the trenches. Then there is always the time it takes to polish your route running, possibly expanding your route tree and gaining rapport with your quarterback. Until a player can develop an all-around game they’ll be pigeonholed into a limited role.

Drafting and developing a tight end is the ultimate patience play and it can understandably be uncomfortable and difficult to hold strong when you see other first-rounders become instant impact players. The Lions are a perfect example of this. They drafted Eric Ebron 10th overall in 2014 and low and behold the next seven picks would make a Pro Bowl while still on their rookie deal. Those players selected would include the likes of Aaron Donald and Odell Beckham. Last offseason, Detroit decided to move on from Ebron as they determined that he wasn’t worth the price tag of his 5th-year option ($8.25M).

Ebron’s game was still a work in progress but the Detroit front office decided to cut ties even though he was putting up terrific production for his age and finished his final season in Detroit on a positive note…”

1 Like

Used to. I’m guessing there is a big drop-off in talent after him, if TE is your target. I think it’s obvious they see him as special, rather than just settling for a serviceable starter that was available in the 4th.

Let’s see him play before we worry.
Dude’s gonna rip it up and help see to it that Stafford doesn’t get sacked 10 times in a single game again.

2 Likes

There is as far as blocking & playing the complete game that TJ does.

2 Likes