Okudah progressing

First, settle down.

Next, why don’t you back up your point with some facts.

Watch Okudah trying to cover Adams last year, pre-injury, and then tell me he’s a stud.

Also, a lot of DB’s looked really good against Big10 passing offenses. That doesn’t hold water.

If we are talking about his ability to run with NFL receivers, I would say it’s an issue.

If you don’t think speed is important, you are welcome to your opinion.

It’s clear you are an Okudah super-fan, and you get very upset with those of us who dare question whether he was a good pick.

That sans injury has me worried. I heard it’s worse than a Lisfranc injury for a running back…

Should I settle down or should you perhaps learn to interact without questioning other poster’s knowledge bc they form a different subjective conclusion? What precisely were the facts that you brought to the table btw.

I watched every play of his rookie year as well. He was lost he was open about that. That’s not really up for the debate. Great players often have bad rookie years especially when they are battling injuries and in a terrible situation.

Okudah in 2019 -
Opposition catch rate 39%
Opponent passer rating when targeting him 46
Never allowed an opponent to go over 50 yards receiving (nor in ‘18)
Zero penalties against in ‘19
Should’ve won OSU the semifinal game with an amazing play that the refs took away

As to your concerns about his speed here is one of the three or so fastest wide receivers in that draft class when asked who was the best CB he’s ever faced,

1 Like

It’s definitely possible. But it’s not going to be due to his lifestyle, lack of preparation or anything like that. El Jefe Will control the things that he can control. I’m still confident that we’re all going to love him. I do totally understand that if Herbert keeps balling like this and we end up needing a QB that there will always be that what if. That’s just how being a fan works.

You got that right.

And his stats against week Big10 passing teams, with Chase Young getting to the QB in about .8 seconds, is exactly what caused the great Bob Quinn to overestimate his abilities.

I hope he turns out great. Some CB’s can take 2-3 years to figure it out. It’s the lack of speed and athleticism on tape last year that is the cause for low expectations to ever be worthy of #3 overall (again, not his fault where he was drafted).

It’s not a perfect analogy because Slay was a 4.36 40 guy, but even with Slay’s talents, he struggled at the beginning. After his first year, when he realized that he couldn’t rely solely on physical talent, he studied under Rod Woodson and worked with Rashean Mathis. Slay developed into one of the top CBs in the NFL. The physical ability was there, but it was the hard work that was the investment which paid off.

With Okudah’s work ethic, and having a former CB as a DC and one of the best DB coaches around, I suspect we will see a similiar leap from Okudah in year 2. Year 1, basically a throw away year for most of the defense with Matty P in charge, is water under the bridge at this point.

3 Likes

:point_up_2:not facts. I offered some facts when you requested. Feel free to respond with facts from his 2019 season that suggest he was unworthy of the consensus perception that he was an elite CB prospect.

1 Like

So Chase Young being dominant, and Big10 passing offenses being weak in 2019 aren’t facts. Umkay.

I’m over it.

Yes.
And I think our current regime would have made that happen (with either Okudah or Brown). And we would have had another first this year or second last year.

1 Like

This is what I’m referring to. This shouldn’t be that complicated to understand. You extrapolated an opinion from some underlying circumstances and stated it as a certainty.

I’m fine being done with it. Just lay off the “if you don’t agree with me then you don’t understand football” line of reasoning. Such an approach is weak, vacuous and doesn’t add anything to the conversation.

2 Likes

See his combine? Trying to time a jump in shorts? Knocking his melon on the turf? This clown is goofier and less coordinated than Roy Williams

Nope. Whether it fits your narrative or not, I’ll continue to believe what I see on film, and question when you see it differently.

So then you’re not done with it?

1 Like

Okudah didn’t play a single game in 2020 “pre-injury”.

In fact, he missed week 1 with a hamstring injury… only 1 week before he had to play against Adams. :roll_eyes:

Wait What Reaction GIF by Bounce

2 Likes

Tre White… 5’11" tall, ran 4.47 in 40, a 32 inch vertical, 117 inch broad jump.

Okudah… 6’1" tall, ran 4.48 in 40, a 41 inch vertical, and 135 inch broad jump.

Similar in the 40… but I guess you are right… because they are not that similar… since Okudah is much more explosive jumper.

1 Like

Not similar in the fact that one was good at football last year, and one wasn’t.

But who cares about that, when you can copy and paste some numbers. Nice internet win for you.

1 Like

You’re really hoping it was his injury that made him look like a UDFA trying to cover NFL receivers.

Jefe found out the hard way, that NFL receivers are better than the studs from MSU, Tulane, and Florida Atlantic.

Okay, you win. He’s the best ever. He’s the next Deion.

LOl

Yes, we had 3 top corners names mentioned earlier. So LOl to you.

At this point, I’m wondering why he wasn’t drafted #1 overall. Huge mistake by WFT.