Okudah question

That’s not how it works … have you ever been recruited? … I have.

Did you read the article I provided? … it will explain it all for you.

The logic is that in college they both played NT. And people are debating that their not the same position because their skill set is different. Their both DT’s.

Your doing the same thing with Okudah. He’s a DB and if you read the article it talks about the multiple skill sets he has and how he played LBer, S, and CB in HS.

This is just the silliest argument … lol

I’ve tried going through the list to think of one who would compare. Brunell is the closest. Player/High School/NFL position coach. Everyone else has more NFL coaching experience than Steven Gregory had, including Antwaan Randle El.

Reading articles it sounds like they moved him around, especially as a sophomore. What’s interesting is I just watched a bunch of youtube highlights and he was at corner in all of them. In some formations I guess they could call where he was standing the “rover” position, but it was still where a corner would be in the NFL.

Slay was unique in that he actually had good coverage on guys right away, just just had the worst ball skills ever. He was plastered on guys and they made the catch anyways because they outplayed him for the ball.

In college the line is alot more blurred than that. The UNC linebacker that just got drafted was a QB, for instance. Zaven Collins was a QB. My high school QB also played safety, but he was recruited as a WR. Iowa is known for recruiting high school TEs and moving them to offensive line.

1 Like

I feel like Okudah get’s unfairly dumped on, everyone talks about him like he’s a bust already. Do most people not remember that he had multiple injuries that he dealt with for the entire season? Started out with a hamstring issue in camp, we don’t know exactly how long that injury lingered. Then for the remainder of the season he dealt with the core injury that he had from the previous year, he was playing injured the whole season!

1 Like

Read the article Air sent. I don’t think they’re lying. Anyway, it really doesn’t matter, we can use him as we see fit.

Highly highly doubtful. I’m not 100% sure that he’d be the top corner in this class. This was a much stronger draft class at the top.

In any event, I do think that people are writing him off way too quickly. It’s ridiculous actually.

A couple of things to keep in mind when assessing his rookie season. Covid was especially hard on rookies because of the abbreviated training camp and no preseason. He started the season with an injury then got injured again late in the season so he was never able to gain his footing and perhaps the most important factor, he was being coached by some of the worst defensive minds in the NFL.

Give him a chance with a full, healthy, training camp, a year of maturity and with a new set of coaches who seem more competent and we’ll get the true measure of what he really is.

2 Likes

Yeah but he would have ran a 4.38 forty if he came out this year, so that would have helped. :joy:

The article Air sent is a little old and not a complete picture. And I think that’s where some of the confusion is coming in. Looking back at his high school film and reading a little more, it appears he played everywhere his sophomore year but for the purposes of this conversation we can call him a safety. Then his junior year he started getting more corner snaps. Then by his senior season for the purposes of this conversation he was a corner. Its kind of weird because one highlight package labels him a safety to start the highlights but then proceeds to show nothing but corner highlights, not a single snap at safety. Then at the HS all american game he played corner.

1 Like

Thanks for digging up this info. It all makes sense.