Oregon CB Christian Gonzalez

Right, and if he contributes after the first 4 weeks where would we be now? I’m not sure they still do the trade if they thought they would have to wait this long for Jamo to be healed.

Yeah, I don’t know. I believe they’re much more patient in when to get contributions from picks than you or I.

2 Likes

I am not sure why we would do that. But in that hypthetical circumstance, adding the 5th year option would probably help his trade value. And it certainly wouldn’t hurt it.

The difference between Okudah’s salary in 2023 and the 5th year option in 2024 is only $600k. And the team that trades for him isn’t even committed to 2024. He can be cut at any time without penalty.

Sorry, I was distracted. Yes, sign him to the 5th year option like I suggested we would in an above post. Having the 5th year option on Hock made trading him more attractive to the Vikings.

2 Likes

Because I disagree with that approach to roster building. The best teams are forward-looking and so am I. You want to plug holes and use the draft as a need-filling exercise, so be it. To me that’s how you end up passing on better talent for more immediate gains.

I read every word of it and while I agree that it was once true, I don’t think it is any more. Did you read what I wrote about the CBs drafted the past couple of years? I guess that would be a no.

It is categorically untrue to say that the team is not serious about competing next season because they drafted 2 CBs in the first 4 picks. You may not think it’s likely, but if those 2 picks turned out to be Sauce Gardner, or even Patrick Surtain, Jaycee Horn, or Derek Stingley - you know, the four guys drafted in the top 20 the past two years - our defense would improve dramatically, immediately.

Most everyone here agrees our biggest holes are in the secondary, do you really think making an effort to shore it up would be us not taking our roster seriously? Apparently yes, because you’re hung up on the idea that CBs can’t help right away. I’m saying that’s just not true.

4 Likes

The 4 guys you mentioned were all taken in the top 9, you act like they can be found anywhere. Help me out here, how many picks do we have in the top 9? Yes, not only were they taken in the top 20, they were taken in the top 200. I’m not hung up on CB’s being able to contribute right away, I’m hung up on 2 of them being able to do so. I have less respect for your “opinions” on every post, this is just throwing shit against the wall and hoping it sticks.

I stand by everything I’ve said 100%, it’s crazy to say spending draft resources on CBs is bad process. Absolutely batshit crazy. If I lose your respect because of it, so be it. I’m not gonna lose any sleep over it.

4 Likes

So, it’s comprehension then. I never said to not use draft picks on CB’s, that it is bad process. I said if they use 2 picks in the first 2 rounds it is. You keep throwing shit against the wall to see if it will stick. Gotta love saying those guys picked in the top 9 were picked in the top 20, like somehow that would give credence to use using later picks. Love how you frame an argument saying how well rookie CB’s did playing like above average rookies…LOL. C’MON MAN,

1 Like

Right on Thats2.

The draft is about adding talent to your roster. Period. Get the best guys you can get and develop them. I am advocating drafting two CBs this draft and no, I do not believe that makes us less competitive in 2023 or beyond.

Like the DL (with a rotation) at CB you generally dress 5 on game days and you often give these guys real defensive snaps in a game.

Right now Will Harris is our Nickelback and I believe a top 50 rookie CB will play better than Harris.

This team is getting better. Two top 50 rookie CBs would be perfect as they learn behind Jacobs and Okudah. Chase Lucas likely gets beat out and we might get away from the shadow of Will Harris!

If Jacobs becomes great awesome. Same with Okudah and we have serious CB depth for years. If those guys get injured or fail we have options in a passing league for years to come.

How can you tell a team is improving? Because rookies are unlikely to play a critical role. In 2023 I think only a DT rookie would start and that would be part of a likely 30-45 snap rotation anyway. A rookie RB MIGHT play a significant role but that pick might not even have to be in the top two rounds with the RB depth in this draft.

I think now is the time to solidify the secondary for years to come. Re-sign Elliott, draft a strong safety and smile at our depth. At CB we have Jacobs (a revelation), Okudah ( still has upside), hopefully two top rookies, Chase Lucas and hopefully a re-signed Will Harris for veteran minimum and we can cut Will or maybe he becomes a special team demon and not awful 6th CB.

5 Likes

The staff likes the size and attitude that Will Harris brings to the table. He can hold his own when teams aren’t targeting him. But as soon as the game situations becme meaninful they start dialing up #25. So if you want to replace #25 like I do, its going to take a guy in the 6’+ range with some weight to him that is willing to tackle and brings a “can do” attitude with him. The staff has an unhealthy love for this particular player and I would love for Brad to find a way to break the bond.

3 Likes

If CB is a premium position that is worth drafting as high as the top 10 picks (as opposed to TE and potentially other positions)zzzz

and the Lions spend 2 picks in this draft in the top 2 rounds at CB…

and those players become top notch players…

how is that a bad thing???

for example… if they drafted Jalen Carter and Brian Branch in round1 …, then Riley Moss in the 2nd round… and they all turn out to be good NFL players… is that a bad draft??? :thinking::thinking::thinking:

1 Like

AFTER Carter and Branch if you pass on “good” NFL players at OG, LB and Safety to do so, yep. Those are 3 positions of need and positions where rookies can walk right in and start. There is no guarantee that Branch or Moss would even play much in their rookie season. Remember how many x we benched Slay, it’s THE toughest position on D to learn even if you eventually become an all pro. It’s a “bad thing” because we are this close to making it to the playoffs and can make the OL into a major strength. Just how much would 2 CB’s change how opposing D’s run on us? You get a Jack Campbell in there vs taking a 2nd round CB and you will see major improvement. Make your OL an identity, improve how your D plays vs the pass AND the run and now you are a very dangerous team. How is THAT a bad thing?

I like Gonzalez to. So this is how my latest mock went.

• DET

Christian Gonzalez

CB Oregon

trade icon

• DET

Brian Branch

S Alabama

• DET

Jared Verse

EDGE Florida State

trade icon

• DET

Calijah Kancey

DT Pittsburgh

• DET

Andrew Vorhees

OG USC

• DET

Chase Brown

RB Illinois

• DET

Keondre Coburn

DT Texas

• DET

Dorian Thompson-Robinson

QB UCLA

2 Likes

I would really be happy with that draft. My only beef would be with Voorhees, I think he’s being a little overrated in the draft community and would much prefer guys like Ekiyor or Mauch (who, if you were using PFN, were almost certainly available at the same spot).

Otherwise I love it. I do wonder if Coburn will be around that long but he might, the two-down guys often fall.

2 Likes

Yeah with the Vorhees pick I wasn’t sure which OL to take there. Seemed like an ideal spot to take one though. The other guys I took them because I liked what I saw from them and I liked the fit. Can’t have too many secondary players and can’t have too many pass rushers. Also I went with Dorian as a potential HR pick there.

I don’t view the results of a team’s draft in the first year.

Thsi past draft has been amazing… with Hutch, Kerby, Rodrigo, and Houston all making huge plays… and promising looks from Jamo, Paschal, and even the Governor (Mitchell’s college nickname).

With that said… I don’t have any problem with drafting players that may take a year or two to reach their top level.

1 Like

Then you are the epitome of the “next season” guy, there is zero urgency in your approach.

When drafting… I think that is the best approach.
If you want to go all in… spend away in free agency…
or make some trades… and eff them beans.

Counting on a rookie to win a Super Bowl… is fool’s gold IMO.

Sunday we will find out if we make the playoffs this season. We are more than close. You don’t have to go the route of the Rams, we don’t need to bankrupt our future for a single season. What we need to do is spend our FA money wisely, like quit using big bucks on injured and/or old players. 4 picks in the first 2 rounds, enough money to sign our own players that we want back with enough left over to target 2 or 3 players to come in and fill holes. Any guesses on how much money we had sitting on the bench this season either thru injury or in Brockers case poor play? Drafting multiple players at positions where rookies generally don’t walk right in and play isn’t how you make it work. Counting on rookies that play at positions where they can walk right in and contribute is not fools gold, it’s how you fix what is broken.

In your opinion how many consistently average to above average NFL CBs dow we have? In your opinion how many average to above average NFL CBs does a team need to be a contender?