Our ballyhooed Oline not great protecting Goff

There is no question Goff in an above average qb. The problem is when you ask him to win a game by himself. He can’t do it. He’ll win you regular season games but you won’t win the big one. He’ll do something bonehead that will cause you to lose the game.
At some point if your goal is to win a superbowl you better find his replacement

Here is what I see and what I think PFF sees.

Our guards are getting beaten a lot in pass protection, BUT our tackles and center have been solid. Goff can keep an eye on guys getting up the gut and get rid of it and if they do sustain their blocks, he’s had an easy time picking apart defenses. It’s what he does best.

What Goff can’t take is a free rusher from the outside on a corner blitz or someone untouched up the gut. He isn’t fast enough to roll out or avoid.

If Goff is going to get pressured, the way he has been is perfect for him. He can see his guard getting beat and get it out quickly without having to run for his life.

Because you have great tackles on the outside, he isn’t getting hit from behind and they are savvy enough to help him with corner blitzes.

If I am correct, Billichick will probably overload a side or stunt a lot to confuse the guards. Skipper is a mammoth of a man but if you get him going the wrong direction, he leaves a big hole in the front.

Because the Lions have been using an extra lineman and TE, they’ve had the numbers advantage for the run or pass.

“dunno…but if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.”
Bored Bugs Bunny GIF by MOODMAN

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 240 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.