Our Boy James Houston getting some love

An excerpt from an ESPN article of top rookies…

Which late-rounder is overperforming right now?

Reid: James Houston, OLB, Detroit Lions (No. 217 pick). Since being elevated from the practice squad, Houston has been a bright spot for the Lions. He was the first player in franchise history to record a multi-sack game in his NFL debut. The former Jackson State product has been productive opposite Hutchinson. Now signed to the active roster, he’s a name to keep an eye on moving forward.

Go get it young man…

Hutch at 7 ftr. Sounds about right although I’d have him at about 5.

5 Likes

I bet this guy has no idea he has only played 16 snaps in two games. My guess is he saw the three sacks in two weeks and thats it.

Nah Jordan Reid’s real into the HBCU guys, having been a starting QB at one himself (North Carolina Central). He knew about Houston before anyone on here did, and I guarantee he’s been keeping up with his career.

5 Likes

How about B. Holmes getting both Rodrigo and Houston in the 6th freaken round! And St. Brown in the 4th. Complete steals.

B. Holmes needs to draft a QB in round 6 this year… the dude will be Brady 2.0 for sure!!

7 Likes

Brad was flexing on the other GMs by trading back 8 spots while still getting Rodrigo and a plus one in Chase Lucas.

Love Myself Kiss GIF by WWE

6 Likes

Take your vitamins brother!!!

hulk hogan 90s GIF

3 Likes

Joseph late in the 3rd isn’t so bad either.

He’s still following the Lions 2nd round curse so far but other than that, his drafting has been golden so far.

4 Likes

■■■■■■■ Steal!!!

4 Likes

More love for Houston:

1 Like

A lofty comparison

In the first two games of his pro career, James Houston has logged just 17 defensive snaps. But in those limited opportunities, he’s proven to be a dynamic pass rusher, registering three sacks. Only first-round pick Aidan Hutchinson has more for the Lions this season.

Houston’s most recent effort, dropping Jaguars quarterback Trevor Lawrence just before halftime, came on a unique rush move, where he took a skip step after the snap, before accelerating and bending around the blocker on Lawrence’s blindside. Glenn was asked what he called the rush move, and he referenced the nickname Houston picked up in college.

“The Problem,” Glenn said.

The coordinator said he’s seen Houston working on that move on the practice field and it successfully translated to game day. But, Glenn also continued to preach patience with the young, pass-rushing prodigy.

“Again, we want to bring that player along slowly and let him continue to get his confidence the way he is right now,” Glenn said.

Right now, the undersized Houston is being used almost exclusively in passing situations. Asked if he could see Houston developing into a three-down player, capable of handling 40 to 50 snaps at some point in the future, Glenn didn’t dismiss it, comparing Houston to veteran pass rusher Yannick Ngakoue.

Same player, you just have to really understand how to utilize him,” Glenn said. “That just comes from what’s your scheme? What are you willing to change to have that player be a part of what you’re doing? …So the thing is, we know exactly what we want to do with that player. We just want to make sure we’re careful with him to make sure he continues to rise with the way he is right now.”

Ngakoue, a third-round pick in 2016, spent his first four seasons in Jacksonville, with Lions defensive line coach Todd Wash serving as defensive coordinator. Ngakoue has 64 career sacks, but had his best season under Wash, racking up 12 sacks and an impressive 84 quarterback pressures in 2017, earning Pro Bowl honors that year.

Holmes is a stud, it’s fun seeing his picks develop.

2 Likes

I think bringing in Dorsey, an experienced successful GM to mentor Holmes was a very underrated move that probably doesn’t get enough attention.

4 Likes

3 Likes

1 Like

Is there a way to get him to play spy on Fields?

This topic was automatically closed 240 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.