Packers extend R Gary

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1718967095960957167?s=20

That’s a lot of money for someone that hasn’t done that much

1 Like

Gary has certainly been a better pro than a collegian.

been seeking the council of Kwesi

Gary could have been a more impactful player if he would have played DT. But…he was smart. He knew that being an above average edge was just as lucrative if not more than being a good interior defender. Plus there’s less trash to sift thru on a weekly basis.

LOL at the Packers for giving him that contract. :rofl:

“Above average” is very disingenuous. He’s a really, really good player. He’s not on the Bosa, Watt, etc level, but he’s really damn good. Does everything well - sets the edge, collapses the pocket, puts pressure on the QB, etc.

He has not reached the “really, really good” level yet IMO. They are hoping he can get there. They didn’t give a man $24M/year to “set the edge.” He’s not Bosa or Watt, but few people have ever been able to do what they do. But there is a tier below that, and Rashan Gary isn’t on it. What I like about Gary is he seems to have a good mindset towards what he is trying to accomplish. I’d bet money that next years version of RG is better than this year.

Sets the market for chase young or sweat

It’s a bit rich, but his situation is quite as clear…

He was drafted really young and sat in a deep rotation with top paid guys like Zadarius and Preston Smith starting, and still managed solid production. He broke out in 21’ as a starter and started earning 80 plus pff grades as a stud run defender who also got 9.5 sacks (same as Hutch last year) and the. Last year he was hurt while on pace for 11 sacks and is once again on pace for double digits….

It’s a little rich, but as I’ve been saying- there is more money to spent, than guys worth spending it on