Packers hire Jeff Hafley as their DC

https://x.com/PeteThamel/status/1752833554231304456?s=20

This is bad. Pretty bad.

Angry Coach GIF by Strapped Entertainment

He was the 2019 Ohio State de facto DC so unless he’s changed anything, expect…

Majority cover 1 and cover 3
Simple, fast flowing run defense
Occasional exotic looks

He was brought to Ohio State to “let the players play”, after we went through the calculus class shit show that was Greg Schiano. I assume that’s how he’ll be in Green Bay with those athletes they have.

1 Like

I look forward to us humbling him.

4 Likes

It’s not a good look for college football.

1 Like

I love this hire for a division rival. I have long railed against “college coaches” being unqualified for upper level positions in the NFL unless they played in the league or worked up the appropriate ranks/training program. Who are his assistants? How much does he actually know about the details that mean the difference between a 1 yard loss and a 30 yard gash play in the NFL? He can’t “out athlete” the other team. They have the same athletes. His coaching is the thing determining winning and losing each play.

This guy dabbled as an assistant in the NFL, but not enough for me to worry about. The pattern here is for him to have varying levels of success early on. Then once the novelty wears off, he will slowly get eaten up by the details.

Spongebob Squarepants Nickelodeon GIF

3 Likes

And the guy who over saw Geno Smith’s resurgence is going to be teaching Fields.
This is BS.

2 Likes

The Packers getting Okudah somehow would not shock me at all this offseason.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/1752851255641178241

The conferences have to reach some agreed upon rules, before they completely burn coaches out. The NCAA will not lead on this. Someone has to.

1 Like

At the very least it will create a situation where the college ranks (outside of the biggest programs) will be flooded with certain “personality types.” Someone who is steady handed and wants to build a program will no longer be a fit at many schools. Guys with more of a Juco or AAU basketball mentality will become more desirable. Also, coaches who love the game itself and like to grind away at film and gameplanning will need to make the jump. Guys who would rather spend their time at events and talking to people will be even more valuable than they are now.

Now that I type this, I think I could see a shift in mindset completely. Its basically time for schools to have their own personnel departments, complete with a General Manager. And I realize that someone is going to say “that’s basically what some schools have now.” And while I agree, I will say that there are alot of “dual hats” that college coaches have to wear when it comes to coaching vs personnel. That line between the two might get more clear and separated.

We are beginning to see programs do this. Alabama just did. Sherrone Moore is in the process of making this type of hire. Someone who is in charge of NIL as well as HS scouting and scouting the portal.

I think there needs to be structure. There has to be agreed upon rules to how this works. People are still going to want to see the HC in order for them to raise money. Athletes will still want to be recruited and visited by the HC himself. What I think the biggest difference is would be the HC now has to constantly recruit his own roster.

There are no rules to this whole portal deal. Programs are finding out that their version of free agency is the better route to go as far as handing out NIL dollars. Paying the athlete right out of HS is the unknown as Texas A&M found out. They know what they have with a player in the portal vs an athlete right out of HS. Since there are either no rules, or rules that just aren’t enforced, the HC is constantly having to recruit his own roster with the fear he will lose his star players as well as the time he put in to develop them.

I agree the GM route is the route programs will now go to in large numbers for the same reason the NFL has completely gone that route. They also need to have some agreed upon rules or I can’t see coaches sticking to it for the long haul. Love them or hate them the NFL still has structure. They have a salary cap. They have clear dates on when different stages of the off season can begin. They also have a players union. The sad part is this will never be NCAA led. It’s going to have to be conference led.

Kalen DeBoer brought his “general manager” with him here from Washington. And that’s his title: “General Manager”.

1 Like

From what iv heard at Boston College his defense wasnt the best

and when he was DB coach for the 49ers, they were uhh

shit to say the least

not gonna shit on the hire, but it is

kinda weird?

He was always behind in the personnel department at BC. I’m not saying he can’t be bad for Green Bay, but my experience with watching him in 2019 says he’s going to be very good.

yeah we will see

they are def looking to upgrade that secondary big time though, gonna put alot of investment into it

also was gonna say that 2019 Ohio State defense was stacked player wise

Well so was the 2018 Ohio State defense, all of the players were pretty much the same except 2018 had Nick Bosa for the first three games, and he had Dre’Mont Jones.

Greg Schiano still found a way with that roster to give up 31 points to Oregon State in the season opener. At home.

A stacked roster doesn’t make the coach…necessarily.

that is fair

lets see how it goes for the packers

again, dont think its a bad hire, but question is if he can keep up with modern NFL offenses rn, as stated, he does love to run alot of Cover 1 rn, where the “Meta” of defenses right now are running quarters and cover 6

Would love that. :laughing:

College football and NFL football are two different games. College football is really basic and more about the Jimmy’s and Joe’s. The NFL game is a different animal. Guys with Hafley’s career background rarely succeed over time. Even if they have early success, teams generally pile up game film and figure them out. Then its a downhill spiral from there.

Also, the bio says there was a co-defensive coordinator with Hafley. While it was Hafley’s first coordinator gig, the other guy had several stints as DC. He was the DC for the Baltimore Ravens after Rex Ryan and he was the DC at U of M and Florida.