Pat McAfee live at Lions/Colts practice

Their TEs are both 6’7 monsters. Mo Alie-Cox has been there, they just drafted Jelani Woods.

2 Likes

I do think Matt Ryan and Goff compare very similarly. Neither is a statue. Neither is capable of making off platform throws or escaping danger regularly. Both are above average in accuracy with a clean pocket.

Goff probably has a better arm but needs to step into his throws more. Ryan’s got more experience but he is the one with a brand new team this season.

I like them both.

3 Likes

Birkett just wrote an article telling people to pump the brakes about this season because of this practice performance.

4 Likes

Meh, staying with 7-10 wins

1 Like

That seems a bit reactionary. Oops, they had a bad practice…better just shut down the whole season and come back next year.

5 Likes

Did they ever post the interview with DC from the show? Been looking for it but can’t find it

Edit: nevermind it looks like he couldn’t come on according to the YouTube’s

1 Like

It does. Maybe he’s combining this and the Falcons game.

He is only looking for problems he is no football knowledge guy just a so called writer.

I just remind people to listen to his questions an what most of his articles are about.

He feeds on creating problems he gets clicks. You even see him break down film like Rogers.

Don’t believe me just watch him till season starts , he will look for any player problem an run with it.

Pay attention to his questions they are leading not fan informative leading to create false problems or make a small problem into a bigger one.

I use to read his stuff an follow now after few years of him promoting his ideas i took hard pass.

He likes to tell fans what is best for them sound familiar LOL

1 Like

I’d say that the real barometer will be week 1.

If we beat the Eagles, there’s reason for optimism. If we lose closely, there’s room for optimism. If we get blown out, there’s room for more pessimism but then week 2 against Washington becomes important.

Agree. It’s been said before, but there hasn’t been a real football guy reporting on the Lions since Killer. At least nobody that’s been a straight shooter like he was.

Right…lol.

Also don’t think it’s fair to knock the dude, he has been one of the most outspoken MCDC and lions believers out there amongst the national media………

1 Like

Honestly, no. You know what the hardest week in the NFL to bet is? Week 1. Lot of crazy unexpected stuff happens week one. Jags went 1-15 one year and the 1 win was week 1 playoff team. Eagles are a dark horse super bowl contender. Our defense STRUGGLES against mobile qb’s. Schematically the eagles are our worst nightmare. If we win, cool it means nothing other then we won week 1. If we lose it means nothing other then we lost week 1 to a strong contending team. There should be optimism bc this team is going in the right direction and building. So 7-8 wins this year should be an optimistic exciting season. Week 1 lose pessimism will be funny to observe.

1 Like

In 2002 the Patriots beat the Steelers 31-14 in week 1. They went 9-7 that year and missed the playoffs. The next year they lost 31-0 against the Bills in week 1. They went 14-2 and won the Super Bowl.

2 Likes

Does anyone know the timestamp on MCDC being on there? I’d rather skip him talking to a bunch of Colts people.

He wasn’t on the show.

I didn’t read the article, but I also think people need to pump the brakes. Not just because of this practice. It’s because of the defense. The 2022 Detroit Lions simply do not have enough talent on the defensive side of the ball to be contenders. All camp the WRs have been smoking the DBs, then in the preseason opener the defense got steamrolled, and then against the Colts Matt Ryan had his best day of camp. This type of performance reflects the talent on the defensive side of the ball. More specifically the back 7. The rebuild seems to be on the right path overall - but next offseason the team needs to add to the talent pool on D to take the next jump in my eyes

3 Likes

A QB having his best day against the Lions, seems I’ve heard that one a couple times.

Was hoping not to hear that one this year.

2 Likes

I definitely think you could be right and that sucks… The defense made strides as the season went on. I didn’t expect them to be top 10 but they seemed to be 20-25 by the end of last season. I was expecting them to maintain while adding a few new pieces like hutch getting romeo back, levi back and their DBs plus some new safeties. Maybe jump another 5 spots in the rankings to 15-20…

If they can’t do this, team may not have a winning record despite the easier schedule.

This has me worried. Our DBs were getting COOKED badly. If we don’t generate pass rush this year we are toast and have us at 4-5 wins. We need pressure up the middle from our DTs but we are not getting that with Brockers, Levi is hurt and so far a bust, Paschal is a rookie and coming off a leg injury. Maybe I’m being too pessimistic, but being a Lions fans for so long i’ve learned that what can go wrong always seems to go wrong against us lol. Praying Levi comes back and overachieves.

There is an article where Goff stated “once we figured out the Colt’s D scheme we had more success” point being again, no game planning like you have in season. I’m not saying all is great or will be great just an understanding…it’s preseason

This paragraph is later in Birkett’s pump the brake’s article, if the strength of the Lion’s offense wasn’t included well that also may explain things.

None of this is meant to hit the eject button on the season before it begins. We’re still more than three weeks from real games and the strength of this Lions team is the offensive line, which wasn’t on the field for the one-on-one passing or seven-on-seven drills.

1 Like