Payton rips Hackett for job with Denver, jabs Jets

That’s true, it was a shit show last year. Payton better win now though.

I guess being a leader in a professional setting, I have a really hard time understanding how things like Hackett allowed happen. Or things Patricia and McCarthy did.

People make leadership so hard and I’m stunned it happens to fail so often with multiple million dollar a year jobs.

1 Like

Seems like Payton trying to garner attention. Whether this issue or gambling. If the donkeys stink, attention will be focused on him

1 Like

Absolutely, and that’s how I see it. He’s taking he criticism off of his players and instead putting pressure on himself. I would think they will respond well to that.

3 Likes

Could have been done without spiking Hackett deep enough to see Jimmy Hoffa’s corpse

2 Likes

My read is Sean is trying to win his team over and maybe going too far in blaming the past coaches and front office. Sean seems to be over-the-top defending Wilson but damn, they gave up a top five pick to get Wilson so Sean is resetting the team vibe and getting to work.

Going after teams trying to win the offseason was too much but he was giving context to what the Broncos did and using the Jets as a team now doing the same thing. That was a mistake for Sean.

BUT…I’m sure the Bronco players already REALLY want to beat the Jets so I’m not sure Sean’s comments matter much overall. But I do think they matter to Russell Wilson.

1 Like

He could have, but I don’t hold anyone to a standard I don’t hold myself to. I remember how Hackett was talked about on this board.

1 Like

Never thought about this angle.

Hackett had zero experience at the job, and was fired before he could even finish his first year at the job. Guys like Hackett would have a chance to coach for 3 years and learn and grow with a lesser team. But being with the Broncos and trading for Russell Wilson put a spotlight on him that he couldn’t overcome. Nathaniel couldn’t “Hackett” but I also blame whomever was involved in hiring him to begin with. He wasn’t the right guy for their situation and expectations. I still believe hiring Hackett was part of a failed attempt to bring in Aaron Rodgers.

And the job itself is significantly different than what people deem to be the qualifying role to get the job (coordinator). Coordinators can focus on football and spend tons of time “in the lab.” Moving to HC means they greatly reduce their time in the lab, and now have to deal with every single aspect of the organization overnight. The food, the cleats, the jerseys…everything.

5 Likes

The Track and Field Junior Olympics are going on right now in Eugene. One of our guests is a guy named Devin Bonik. He’s here with his son who is competing (and will likely be a 4 star football recruit in four years). Devin played for Jimmy Johnson at Ok. St. (@Thats2 may be familiar with him). He also coached in the NFL for 11 years.

Just a couple hours ago I said to Devin, “Hey, did you see what Sean…”

He interpreted me. “He’s such an ass. You just don’t do that to another coach. Major red line. But he’s always been an ass. Most coaches that I’m close with have always thought he was an ass. Just a self absorbed Napoleon type.”

I asked him about Dan and he said though he was out of coaching since Dan started with it and has never met him, he has heard that he’s a really good guy.

He also told me that when the cameras aren’t rolling and there is nothing competitive at play that Bill Parcells is actually a surprisingly nice guy. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Yeah I remember him, more for what’s happened since his career ended. Almost got Gundy in trouble a couple of years ago lol. Or at least that’s how it was reported.

https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/status/1684560059030806528

Bingo!!

From when Devin was doing the agent thing I presume.

Yep. Is he done with that? It was fairly recently.

I know Ive mentioned this before, but I do a spot on impression of this Hackett

Not sure. I’m not bringing that up :joy:

It’s why you’re our Buddy.

Did I mention I do the impression of him singing the South Park Movie Terrance and Phillip Canadian Classic song Uncle F#^%er?

Post a video or you’re full of shit! :smiley:

1 Like