Personnel news - Wed 30 Oct

Austin Bryant is now practicing with the team. The Lions could activate him as soon as Sunday to play against Oakland, but they don’t rush players back into the fire without some lead-up time to make sure he’s not just healthy enough to play but also NFL-ready to go up against NFL talent. This means they have a 21-day window to activate him to the 53-active roster or leave him on the IR.

In addition to this move, the Lions have announced that they signed cornerback Michael Jackson from practice squad. Jackson was the Cowboys’ fifth-round pick this year after a four-year stint with the Miami Hurricanes. At 6-foot-1, 210 pounds, Jackson fits the mold that head coach Matt Patricia likes in his corners: big and physical.

Interesting that to make room for Jackson, they cut RB Paul Perkins. I guess they ain’t at thin at RB as I thought.

1 Like

I’m excited to see what we have with Bryant. He was a decent pass rusher at Clemson.

1 Like

Glad to see Bryant. The running corp still befuddles me.

1 Like

Part of me is starting to think they have a eye on RB as a draft pick this next draft…

1 Like

If we are winning games, and at 5-3-1, he is activated.

we don’t win - he goes to IR imho…

1 Like

I don’t think it’ll come down to W/Ls… I think health alone, because win or lose getting on the field as a rookie would benefit him

2 Likes

They’d better!!

I’d like to see them draft an RB at some point, but they could also sign an FA RB. Next year is probably the last for both Decker and Wagner, unless one or the other gets cut. So, IMHO, they need an OT and probably an OG if they don’t keep Glasgow. Plus a slot receiver if they don’t keep Amendola.

On defense, it depends on whether A’Shawn Robinson leaves, and my guess is that he will take the top offer he can get. Plus, Daniels will likely be gone so IMHO the Lions need a DT. Maybe an LB too and a CB since it’s probably Slay’s last year here too.

If we let Decker walk and draft ANOTHER offensive lineman in the 1st round I’m going to puke.

1 Like

That’s what happens when your draft picks aren’t good enough to be building blocks

Can you imagine how exasperated Paul Perkins must be?

We sign ya.
We cut ya.
We sign ya.
We cut ya.
Rinse. Repeat.

Life at the bottom edge of an NFL roster.

Yup- gotta get him some experience AND find out what we have in him. Do we have a developmental player? A stud? Someone who can’ cut it? Good to know what he is so we can react accordingly next offseason.

I want to draft a LT and move Decker to RT.

Would you rather pay Decker $10 mil to play LT next year? Or RT?

Its what happens when we keep rinsing and repeating the same stupid pattern

Where have I heard this before? Oh yeah, every LT we’ve had ever. LOL

Decker at LT. And if we decide his price tag isn’t worth keeping him…we replace him with a NON 1st round pick. I’m over it, we’ve watched this movie play out too many times.

1 Like

Wouldn’t it be foolish to pass on the BPA in the 1st round if he happens to be an LT? Or if there’s 2 or 3 guys with the same value that play different positions, are you going to pass on the LT just because he’s an LT? Kinda depends on who else is available in the 1st, but also who is likely to be there later in the draft. One thing though: there’s a reason why a player gets draft in the 1st round. Past mistakes or failures doesn’t sound to me like a good reason to pass on somebody.

You can keep making the same mistake over and over again. I’m done with it. Yes, I’m looking at the other 2-3 players based on position.

Yup! I’m just a fan. I don’t know how to fix the OL, but I"m hoping Quinn does. Ihate watching one of my fav players get murdered. If the dude is gonna get hammered, I’d rather it be on NYE with his wife, not on Sunday’s vs the Bears.

At least he’s getting paid!

NFL practice squad players make a minimum of $8,000 per week that they are on the practice squad . If a player remains on the practice squad for an entire regular season (at a minimum salary of $8,000 per week), he would earn a minimum of $136,000 over the full regular season if he keeps his spot on the practice squad

Practice squad players can be paid any amount by teams as an incentive to not sign to another team’s roster. The contracts do count towards the team’s salary cap.

I’m sure he gets paid more for being promoted to the roster/signed to the roster.

Quinn doesn’t go BPA in the 1st.