Pete Prisco looks back at his 2021 draft grades; here are his new marks

Interesting read. It points out that so many teams had 1st, 2nd round failures but 5th and 6th round selections were the best players drafted.

1 Like

Eating some crow:

In this regrade, two teams killed it. One is the Detroit Lions, which we should understand after last season’s push to brink of the Super Bowl with this 2021 class as the foundation for that team. The Lions landed five starters in the 2021 draft, which is why they earned one of my A+ grades in the regrading.

New Grade: A+

Detroit Lions

2021 Grade: B+

The Skinny: The Lions had seven picks, and five of those are starters. They nailed this draft. They started out by taking tackle Penei Sewell in the first, and he’s been everything they expected at right tackle. They landed starting defensive tackle Alim McNeill and starting safety Ifeatu Melifonwu in the third and then got star receiver Amon-Ra St. Brown and starting linebacker Derrick Barnes in the fourth. St. Brown is the steal of their draft and a star receiver. This draft haul is a big foundation for where the Lions are right now, which is one of the top teams in the NFC.

How I did: I liked second-round defensive tackle Levi Onwuzurike, but he has had some injury issues and is now a backup. I loved that they drafted big people with their first three picks, and that has played true since they are now good on both lines. I didn’t like the pick of Melifonwu as a corner, but he has become a starting safety.

New Grade: A+

5 Likes

Like to rephrase that: This draft haul is a big foundation for where the Lions are right now, which is one of the top teams in the NFL.

1 Like

I like the way Pete is so brutally honest on his mistake takes. Good on him.

2 Likes

One of his better articles, which are rare.

3 Likes

'21 was an epic draft!

2 Likes

If Penei and St Brown keep up the good work, they should both end up in the HOF. Iffy and Alim could both end up in the probowl this year.

And i still predict Levi shows something this year.

1 Like

That draft room segment where Brad is calmly telling Shiela that the solution to their void at WR was St. Brown at #112: He couldn’t have known how extremely right he was.

1 Like

I agree BUT. I use to think that being drafted in the second round meant that you had some talent. After reading the article, it shows that the NFL is littered with the bones of overrated top round draft picks.

I recently went back and regraded Millan’s draft picks. I gave him a G -

1 Like

I’d give him a Z+

1 Like