Round 3 (81): S Will Harris, Boston College

Round 4 (117): Edge Austin Bryant Ege, Clemson

Round 5 (146): CB Amani Oruwarlye, Penn State

Round 6 (184): WR Travis Fulgham, Old Dominion

Round 6 (186): RB Ty Johnson, Maryland

Round 7 (224): TE Isaac Nauta, Georgia

Round 7 (229): DI P.J. Johnson, Arizona

Day 1:

Detroit didn’t get great positional value by selecting former Iowa tight end TJ Hockenson at No. 8 overall in the 2019 NFL Draft, but they did at least get the best tight end in the class. He had the second-highest receiving grade among tight ends in college football this past year, dropping one pass on 51 catchable targets, and finished the pre-draft process as PFF’s No. 21 overall player.

“He’s better than Eric Ebron. Even though he didn’t test out as freakishly as Ebron, this guy knows the nuances of the tight end position already. He knows how to run routes. He has very sure hands.” – Pro Football Focus’ Lead Draft Analyst Mike Renner

Day 2:

The Lions picked up more value in the third round than they did in the second round of this year’s draft. Hawaii linebacker Jahlani Tavai is best against the run, but even his best isn’t anything to fall in love with at pick No. 43. Tavai entered the draft as PFF’s No. 237 overall player in the class.

Boston College safety Will Harris, PFF’s No. 111 overall player in the draft, didn’t breach the top-50 in terms of overall grade, but he has turned in 74.0-plus overall grades as a primary player in Boston College’s defense in each of the past three years.

Day 3:

Penn State cornerback Amani Oruwariye, a long, athletic outside cornerback that settled in at No. 36 on PFF’s draft board, fell all the way down to pick No. 146 for reasons unknown. What we do know is that he may be the steal of the draft.

Oruwariye had the best week of any corner at the Senior Bowl, notching the highest win rate among all defenders in the one-on-ones. He also turned in two strong years of grading in 2017 and 2018.

DRAFT GRADE: BELOW AVERAGE

2 Likes

I’m feeling pretty good with PFFs grade.

Its the same grade they gave us after last years draft. We should be in good shape. :smiley:

1 (20) Frank Ragnow, C, Arkansas, 93.7
2 (43) Kerryon Johnson, RB, Auburn, 87.9
3 (82) Tracy Walker, S, Louisiana, 74.3
4 (114) Da’Shawn Hand, DI, Alabama, 75.1
5 (153) Tyrell Crosby, OT, Oregon, 87.3
7 (237) Nick Bawden, FB, San Diego State, 75.7

Day 1 : The Lions selected one of the players that PFF has been championing as a potential dominant force throughout the pre-draft process in Arkansas C Frank Ragnow. With a new coaching staff in the building, the Lions are making a concerted effort to get better at the line of scrimmage, and become a more powerful team, and Ragnow achieves that. He was a dominant run-blocker and did not allow a sack in pass protection throughout his entire college career. He was one of a few players that have distanced themselves as the best player we have seen at their respective positions since we have been grading college football, and those players typically translate very well to the next level. Ragnow should plug in to the middle of that offensive line and anchor it immediately, but he has shown the ability to play guard as well, starting at right guard against Alabama in 2017 and still grading very well.

Day 2 : The Lions shook up the draft board at the running back position by taking Kerryon Johnson out of Auburn over a couple of more celebrated prospects. Johnson only really has one excellent season of performance, with an overall grade of 87.8 in 2017, and he has an interesting style of running the ball, gliding to the hole and accelerating through it like Arian Foster. They also added Tracy Walker from Louisiana to the secondary. Walker is a safety who has covered the slot and has been a better run defender than he has been in coverage.

Day 3 : Tyrell Crosby’s slide was halted by the Lions who bring in a monstrous offensive lineman. At Oregon, he allowed only seven total pressures and no sacks in 2017 at left tackle, but has the size and power to move inside to guard and dominate. Completing their power-focus, they grabbed one of the few fullbacks in the draft with Nick Bawden in the seventh round. Bawden played the second-most snaps of any fullback in 2017 with 588, none of which were him carrying the ball.

Overall grade : Below average

1 Like

I rely on Gil Brandt’s evaluations more than anyone else. Just some contrast to PFFs rankings.

Gil had Hock ranked at #6
Tavai @99
Harris @86
Bryant @118
Oruwarlye @123

3 Likes

I think this just answered a big question!

3 Likes

This deserves a reminder considering some have Walker slated as a trye starting quality player.

3 Likes

Yes, thats what i was thinking, too.

2 Likes

I saw your post right after I posted this (I think you posted it first, though). Great minds, ay?

2 Likes

Very great minds. :grin:

1 Like

PFF’s grade from last year makes no sense. They gush about Ragnow as being the best center they have ever graded and say that he fills a major need for Detroit. Kerryon wasn’t their favorite RB available when we took him, but they admit that he was a good player. From there they talk about depth and upside players we added in the later rounds. How the hell does that become a below average draft?

They weren’t as high on KJ and Walker as they were Ragnow and getting Crosby late

They had KJ as a third round talent. Not that these grades mean anything anyway…

2 Likes