PFF grades Christmas Cat battle

Its a pretty long strong tradition in Detroit to draft a linebacker, thenToootallly Eff with him.

Hey Barnes, nice work rushing the passer in college.

Cut that shit out. Here’s a new position and playbook and oh, you wont get a lot of snaps until you figure it out. Oh wait, we have injuries…here ya go, dont eff up. Annnd we drafted your replacement. Sorry Charlie, not all tuna end up Chicken of the Sea

Hey Tavai, nice work in college. Heres some pasta…well a lot of pasta. And some lard…and a metric ton of french fries. Ill tell ya when to stop chewing…ready? Now get that carby brain fog lifted with some Jolt Cola!..Ok, now, we want you to read and react in this really incredibly complex scheme…oh and be quick, we fired all our good DBs.

James Davis…well after 4 years it seems you cant shed anything and pick holes like Ambrose Burnside(extra bonus points for knowing and not googling that reference). You do seem to rush the passer well…but we got Dashawn Hand for that, so forget it, so bye. Hi again! Bye again.Hi again! Hit the road dude…

Haaay KVN…just kidding, ■■■■ you.

Hey, ummm…Barrrett…the hole, no, the one the ballcarrier just cut through…thats the one yeahhh.

Did Teddy Lehman actually exist or is he a mass hallucination?

Boss Bailey can jump high and long…annnd not much else.

Kalimbust, well that kind of tomfoolery is just plain…ummm…well, accurate…but not very nice.

2 Likes

Don’t kink shame.

5 Likes

It’s wild Anzalone had such an AWFUL game after 2 straight good games. But I think that’s one of the reasons some of us scoffed at the idea of re-signing him again as so many people seemed keen on. I don’t dislike the guy, and he’s fine in a pinch, but I do think if the Lions D is going to “level up” they are going to need one LB who doesn’t leave the field who they can rely on. I’m fine with Anzalone as a rotational backer, but not as the 100% snaps, green dot wearing, patrolling the middle of the D type of guys. I hope the Lions work to find a guy who can be that for this defense. If they re-sign Anzalone again and pretty much “run it back” like they did last year I will be disappointed.

Lastly, missing on Iffy and Levi really sucks. No shade on Holmes, he’d done a fine job clearly, but man you can easily see how having a tall, long DB who can be a chess piece in the secondary could help this defense. Add in a pass rushing DT and man, it’s just hard to miss how much those pieces would help. Hopefully with all the ammo and more time on the job Brad can kill this upcoming draft again like he did the last one.

2 Likes

Your kind a hard on a player who made his first start at S an had 7 tackles . Its also a new position for Iffy he is being moved from CB to S an I think he will be just fine after this season as a new position rookie.

He has the size an speed just needs to play. This game was a plus for him even if he made mistakes.

Some fans are to quick to judge. He is 6-3 210 exactly what you said in your post. Will he be a starter we don’t know he was drafted as a CB an they moved him then he was hurt now he started.

1 Like

gotta agree. he was terrible. should have been benched

1 Like

Yeah man…. that is EXACTLY the point….

he got BLOCKED…… by a TE… who stoned him… and prevented him from hitting his gap to turn the run inside.

It may not have stopped the TD… but he got handled by the TE and let Sam Darnold take a leisurely stroll into the endzone.

Anzalone didn’t play well in this game… but not sure there are any victory laps to be had by anyone that played on the defensive side of the ball.

On the other hand… we didn’t hear much from you when the Lions won 6 of 7 games… the defense was playing better, and Anzalone was repeatedly in the top 5 PFF scores on defense.

Oh wait…. we did hear from you when Anzalone was given a high grade….

So I guess PFF is terrible and should be ignored if they give Anzalone credit when he plays well……

but PFF clearly has it right when they give Anzalone a crappy score…

Jerry Seinfeld Agree GIF

3 Likes

Preach. AA is a high end backup, some are losing sight during the hot streak. This back half of the season is some of the best he’s played, but that should not mean we build around him moving forward if we’re trying to win Super Bowls.

3 Likes

I’m not judging Barnes until I see him play ubder a competent defensive coordinator, which I do not think Aaron Glenn is.

1 Like

I did not mention Barnes’s PFF, frankly I have no use for them. I watched the game and Anzalone should have been benched like any other player on the team having a bad game. I constantly refer to snap count and opportunity, where did you see ME rely on PFF.

If you notice, anytime Barnes is given a long leash he plays well. I don’t know how it is as a pro but, players have to be confident that some of their mistakes will be tolerated. Anzalone has been afforded that Luxury for two years and it has done him well. All those snaps (600 more the Barnes alone this year), should be used to build the future defense. Barnes may not be the future for the Lions, but how would you know. He had 50 snaps in the Greenbay game and did very well, after that his snap count started to diminish, the same thing happened last year after the Bengals game.

These coaches preach you earn playing time, there should be a caveat to that, EXCEPT ANZALONE.

It isn’t about the scores……
You have posted in multiple threads where PFF scores are posted…
and go out of your way to bring Anzalone into the discussion… even when not relevant.

example…. from week 14 win over Vikings…
when Anzalone played very well… had 9 tackles…
including 6 solo that you can’t claim were given to him for “jumping on the pile late” to get an assist.

But… rather than giving him credit… or even just staying out of it… you brought up his playing time as a negative.

Interesting thing though……

Kerby and Elliott played more snaps than Anzalone in that game…
so why weren’t you concerned about their playing time causing an issue?

The snaps that Anzalone is getting has fared well for him in the three previous game. Over the past 2 years Anzalone has had 982, 95% this year so far and 828 last year when healthy. Over the 2 years Barnes has had 736 snaps. That is over 1000 less snaps, ( 1024 to be exact), or less opportunity. Where would Barnes be with half of those snaps?

It is hard to tell where Barnes would be with such limited opportunity and the short leash he is playing under.

Kerry and Elliott both come off the field at times, Anzalone doesn’t. There is no player on defense that comes any where close to Anzalone’s snaps. Hutch is the closest with 872, 110 less than Anzalone. Even on offense only Goff, Sewell, Decker and Ragnow compare to Anzalone snap count and that is an elite group. Do you think Anzalone is comparable to that group in his talent and abilities? He is not that caliber of a player, yet he does not come off the field.

I am going to beat this drum every chance I get until everybody at least understands my position.

Anzalone plays because of his relationship with Glenn/ Campbell whoever, and not base on ability or earning a spot. The bias that is afforded to him by the coaching staff has cost and continue to cost other players, in terms of opportunity contract negotiations etc.

Coaches should not use previous relationships to determine who plays, and friendships with a certain player can lead and does lead to favoritism. It is obvious when it comes to the relationship between Anzalone and Campbell, there is no other reason for Anzalone to stay on the field. I am not buying the field general, locker room presence or green dot theories. All players should have a back up to what ever their role is on the team. Anzalone got injured at the end of the year, last year, so someone had to take the green dot. I don’t remember any issues with that last year.

wrong …… again.,

Try to read my post before you respond. I said Kerby and Elliott come off the field at times not that particular game.

For the year Elliott has 804 snaps, Joseph 770, and Anzalone 982, see my point.

For that particular game Anzalone did not play well and he stood out, and Barnes has been playing the run well of late yet no adjustment was made 17 snaps, (1 on the kneel down at the end of the game), for Barnes compared to 68 snaps for Anzalone.

You tell me why the coaches don’t at least try the combination of Barnes and Rodrigo. That has not happened all year after 16 weeks of football and it won’t.

My initial thought is that Barnes is still terrible in coverage….
can’t get off a TE block at Carolina…
doesn’t have very good gap discipline at times…
and the coaches see it every day in practice…
so they don’t trust him.

Otherwise… I think it is a fine idea….

1 Like

Preach on phunny

2 Likes

So did Anzalone:

Steal your high school sweetheart?
Take the last krispy Kreme doughnut just as your were getting ready to order?
Give you a “hot” tip that caused you to lose your entire 401K?

Inquiring minds want to know!

2 Likes

Elliot has missed time due to injury and he was benched at one point. Joseph didn’t start until week 5?

Anzalone wears the green dot and is the communicator. This staff obviously feels that there isn’t another LBer in the room that can do that job nearly as well as Anzalone. If you think we have communications issues in the secondary just wait until Barnes is out there trying to make it the calls.

4 Likes