Philadelphia Eagles QB plans to ask for trade

Navigation ToggleESPN

Sources: Carson Wentz-Doug Pederson relationship fractured beyond repair; Philadelphia Eagles QB plans to ask for trade

CHRIS MORTENSENNFL reporter11:28 AM ET3 Minute Read

Mort: Wentz's relationship with Eagles is fractured

Mort: Wentz’s relationship with Eagles is fractured

Chris Mortensen reports that Carson Wentz is expected to ask the Eagles for a trade in the offseason.

Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Carson Wentz, who was benched in favor of rookie Jalen Hurts last month, still plans to ask for a trade in the offseason because his relationship with head coach Doug Pederson is fractured beyond repair, according to league sources.

The Eagles are aware of this potential development, but a team source told ESPN that the organization’s asking price for Wentz will be significant for the quarterback it selected with the No. 2 overall pick in the 2016 draft.

Multiple teams are expected to have interest in trading for Wentz, including the Indianapolis Colts, whose coach, Frank Reich, was Wentz’s offensive coordinator in Philadelphia.

Hurts will make his fourth consecutive start in Philadelphia’s regular-season finale against the Washington Football Team on Sunday night, while Wentz was a healthy scratch.

Pederson said earlier in the week that he has a “ton of confidence” in Wentz and wants to “fix” the issues that led to a decline in the former Pro Bowler’s performance this season.

Pederson is expected to return as the Eagles’ coach, but he has a Tuesday meeting with owner Jeffrey Lurie to discuss the team’s losing season, potential coaching staff changes and the quarterback solution as Wentz seeks an exit.

If it is determined that the relationship between Wentz and Pederson is indeed beyond repair, the plan will have to account for some salary-cap maneuvers. Wentz and his representatives are willing to work with general manager Howie Roseman to facilitate a move out of Philadelphia, league sources told ESPN.

Team sources told ESPN last month that the Eagles intend to keep Wentz despite his season-long struggles and want him be a major part of their team going forward.

But if the Eagles move on from Wentz, they must make that decision by the second day of the 2021 league year – sometime in mid-March – because on the third day of the league year, his $22 million base salary for 2022 becomes fully guaranteed and his 2021 roster bonus of $10 million is paid out.

Wentz has struggled through the worst season of his career. Despite playing only 12 games, he enters Sunday tied with Denver’s Drew Lock for the league lead with 15 interceptions. Wentz also has been sacked a league-high 50 times and ranks 35th in completion percentage (57.4%).

ESPN’s Tim McManus contributed to this report.

Take ESPN Everywhere

Download the #1 sports app

© 2021 ESPN Internet Ventures. Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, Your California Privacy Rights, Children’s Online Privacy Policy and Interest-Based Ads are applicable to you. All rights reserved.Footer

I’ve never been real big on Wentz but it will be interesting to monitor this as we should expect something similar if we move on from Matt. Yes Matt’s older but I’d argue he’s a known commodity for last 3/6 years of his career vs someone who isn’t on same level but younger

It fractured because he couldn’t win! Hurts worked with the same players yet he produced more dubs! Wentz is a loser!!! I can’t phantom a solid team touching him…maybe a bottom feeder team

He’s got a lot of years and a lot of money still left on his contract. It would be pretty tough to work that out.

I wouldn’t touch him with a ten foot pole. He didn’t win. Last year players said he was a bad teammate. He costs too much. And he has a fractured relationship with the HC? Why? Because he didn’t get HIS way, I believe. It’s better that we draft a QB from college.

I don’t think anyone is saying the Lions should trade for him. I’m certainly not, although I can see how it might read that way.

I’m just thinking the Eagles would have a really hard time managing the hit they would take by trading Wentz. I don’t think he will get traded at all. Not in 2021 anyway.

1 Like

you can’t ‘fathom’ a solid team touching him. not “phantom”…which is like a ghost. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

People in the media consistently put Wentz in the upper echelon of QBs, I never understood it. He had a solid rookie year, got hurt a lot and saw his backup win a SB. He’s physically able to play the position, I think something is off with him mentally… Pressure of the big contract? Living up to the hype? Pissed they took a QB in the 2nd? Idk, but he was clearly making terrible decisions on the field. A change of scenery may do him good, but I’d be weary of his mental toughness.

1 Like

He’s gonna reunite with Reich in Indy… and Philly will have to give them picks to get it done, like when Houston traded Osweiler. Something like Wentz + a 3rd for a 6th. Wentz’s contract is egregious.

1 Like

Wentz is a better QB than Hurts by a mile. Can he stay healthy? He was obviously in a funk, but he is clearly the better QB.

Once you’re the piss boy, you’re done.

Wentz will be the starter again next season with a new HC. Hurts isn’t the answer at QB for any NFL team.

With Pederson getting fired is wentz still demanding a trade? Is it a location issue or a coach issue?

Wentz wants to stay now that Pederson is gone

Waaaaahntz, you mean…

Season 4 Episode 13 GIF by Friends

1 Like

Wentz is a clown now. “whaaa whaaa I wanna leave whaaa!” “oh well ah if Pederson is gone I…um wanna stay…ok?”