Poll: Do you believe Jared Goff is the answer at QB for the Lions?

That is what you call a “stretch”…

Because he’s not Matthew Stafford. We’ve been so conditioned to Stafford’s play that a lesser QB just doesn’t work so well with many Lions fans.

I’ve tried to explain that going the draft route we could very easily end up with a worse QB than Goff but everyone just wants a shiny new toy.

4 Likes

Yeah, do people forget how many QB’s we drafted before we got Stafford?
Goff legitimately could be our 2nd best QB ever and it’s not good enough…but when Stafford was struggling in his younger years, it was ok.

1 Like

Yes and no. Zero talent but he also isn’t playing good.

1 Like

Half just hate any Detroit QB.
The other half think McVays is Gods right hand man.

1 Like

The difference is that we drafted Stafford so he was “ours.” At least that’s how I see it. Plus we hadn’t seen him have the success that he had.

Goff started 0-8 with Rams too

Didn’t believe in him to start the season and obviously that opinion hasn’t changed. They need to draft a QB in the next two years.

LOL …ya can’t win today, huh, man?
Someone is gonna be pissed off no matter what you do.

1 Like

Nice bit of knowledge, man. Appreciate the post. I didn’t know that.

There’s definitely conditioning. Some of it is what you say, while some of it is straight up horrible QB play since the 1960s, until he came along. I see a lot of gray scale, and not black and white. Truth is in the middle.

I’m only speaking for myself here.

1. Lions have had shit QBs for a half a century, before Matt came along
  2. We’ve seen so many QBs that didn’t even last a year.
  3. Stafford is the best we’ve seen by miles, in this town
  4. Some Bias created, not only because he’s a good player, but a very good man. I root for humans as more than I do football teams, and he’s good for the human race.
  5. I also like Goff as a human
  6. I also feel like Goff has a nice ceiling
  7. I see Goff as lacking an energy that people will follow. He’s a very good man, but not the same level of warrior that some QBs are. (again, levels and layers, not black and white)
  8. He doens’t handle pressure as well. In playoffs you WILL be under much more duress.
  9. I think he can be Eli, if we surround him by that sort of team. Probably not as tough as Eli,and a different skillset, but equal in terms of what sort of results I feel he can produce.

Lots of factors

2 Likes

It was with fisher tho

1 Like

I still believe in Goff. He is definitely not as good as Stafford, but that’s why the Lions got 2 first round picks and a 3rd round pick when they traded Stafford.

Holmes and company knew that coming into this year. Stay with the plan–build a solid oline, add some players in this year’s draft and free agency. And go from there.

Building a solid team around a good qb (yes, Goff can get back to that level with some talent around him) instead of spending a top 5 pick on a qb seems to be the way to go.

Has anyone won any thing recently with a qb drafted in the top 5 or so?

The Rams may be the closest with Goff in 2018 and their Super Bowl run. And they got lucky in that NFC championship game with one of the worst calls by a zebra that I’ve ever seen.

1 Like

Eli or Matt Ryan are good models for how a team can succeed with Goff. He needs a lot of help just like those qbs.

Goff has been good in all of his playoff games except the Super Bowl. Don’t let that one stinker when he was playing without Kupp and Gurley was a shell of himself fool you. Goff has done really well under playoff pressure.

He was also solid last year with a depleted oline and Josh Reynolds replacing Kupp again.

I’ve not seen this brought up yet this week, but the hardest thing for me to watch as a Rams fan was how McVay and Snead treated Goff after his performances in last year’s playoff. They stirred a qb controversy with Goff and Wolfford, a backup, after Goff had a solid playoff run.

If the football gods have any sense of justice, Detroit and Goff will look good Sunday and some tipped passes and balls on the ground will find their way into the Lions hands.

3 Likes

Ehh. I think Stafford had a massively sized window of opportunity to show what he could get done here.

What we’re starting to truly understand is how broken Jared Goff is. And how, for whatever reason, he’s no longer the QB who was successful a few seasons ago in L.A.

1 Like

Stafford’s qb rating is significantly higher than his career average this year.

It’s 10 points higher right now than his best year ever. Goff, meanwhile, is significantly below his career averages playing with a bunch of back ups and rookies.

I know everyone likes to talk about the importance of the qb, but doesn’t this little experiment really suggest how important the surrounding cast and coaching are for a qb?

6 Likes

If I may jump in, not intending to be a Dick, lol, however for the sake of accuracy Goff was 0-7 his first NFL starts beginning with a 14-10 loss @Miami in 2016

Fisher was fired after the home loss vs Atlanta - Goff was 0-4 as a starter under Jeff Fisher

John “Bones” Fassel (Son of Jim) took over as interim HC to which the Rams with JG as starting QB went 0-3

Season over, along comes McVay Goff wins 2017 opener at home vs Indy

2 Likes

No…to answer the ops question

Easy answer is the Chiefs.

However, they were a really, really good team when Mahomes came on board. Given his performance in the Super Bowl when things were less than perfect, I don’t suspect he’d be the be all and end all if drafted onto a bad team.

Bills / Allen are trending as are the Cards / Murray, though neither has had sustained success yet.

I want the Lions to give Goff every chance to succeed, because I believe with every fiber of my being that any high-round quarterback we choose is going to be the next Josh Rosen, Sam Darnold, Mitch Trubisky, etc.

1 Like

Mahomes was not picked in the top 5

1 Like