Poll: If Lions take Willis at 2, should/will he sit?

That just wrecks most young QBs, especially one that needs to learn to read defenses. They loose there confidence and your stuck with nothing. Holmes has no reason to rush him.

2 Likes

To me, it wrecks QBs who weren’t gonna make it anyway. If our QB can’t bounce back from a rough rookie season then he’s not the leader I want. The QB needs to be the mentally-toughest SOB on the team. Anyone who falls apart after struggling isn’t for us anyway.

2 Likes

That’s the interesting thing about quarterbacks. If they’re going to be successful it usually happens in the first couple years. If I were the packers I’d be worried that love isn’t ready to take over after 3 years. To me that’s an indication that he never will.

2 Likes

We can only hope brother! Rodgers retires and Love is terrible. Wouldn’t that be nice for once!

They certainly have it coming. I’ve never seen a franchise so lucky to have hall of fame quarterback play for 30 years. On the other hand, how frustrating to have had two hall of fame quarterbacks and only two super bowl wins.

2 Likes

What I would give for 2 Lions super bowl victories though!! Can you imagine?

1 Like

You and me both. Right now I’d settle for one stupid playoff win at home. It boggles the mind the ineptitude of this franchise when you realize the lions haven’t had a home playoff game in 30 years.

1 Like

A single playoff win seems near impossible at this point. The last time we won a playoff game I was in grade 3 I think. lol

It begs the question of how much do these drafted quarterbacks actually learn “if” they are not on the field. I get the learn on the sidelines piece and in the film room…but aren’t you kinda starting over once they hit the field? Its a different kind of learning, but its still starting from scratch. I do think there is value giving some time to learn the offense, etc. but think I fall on the side of mid season he should be out there. You need to figure out quickly if they have what it takes…part of that is recognizing mistakes and making corrections…And how much time do they really develop a kid once you are in season…almost nothing. That’s not where the coaching staff is focusing unless they bring in someone just for him. Tough call.

Way more to it than that, IMO. It’s more than “tough,” it’s ability to release/forget. That has nothing to do w/toughness. Stafford was the toughest MF’r to get under center, but he still made mistakes after mistakes. It’s more than just “having a short memory,” or “being tough.”

It’s tough to coach that into ppl. you have to anchor them to the growth.

You’re only proving my point Natty Stafford turned out to be great lol. He went through it, struggled, and came out on the other side. Josh Allen too. Peyton Manning too.

It’s mental toughness, straight up. If they cave like Joey Harrington, like Jake Locker, like David Carr, then they never had it in the first place.

1 Like

That side of Willis…I COMPLETELY trust.
Rodgers
Mahommes
Brady
…and many more have come up behind a mentor.

Depends on the dude and the coaches, and their philosophies

Different era for Brady and Rodgers though, and Mahomes’s situation was a major outlier. I agree though that in an ideal world it would be great to sit them. But in today’s NFL they need to play, and play quick. And if it breaks them, then they probably wouldn’t make it anyway.

And while I’m not a Willis fan, I think everyone’s underselling his ability to contribute early. The one thing that helps QBs more than anything is mobility. Yes, he needs to learn basically all of the art of playing QB (decision-making, progressions, etc…), but he can learn that on the job while his feet keep him productive. RGIII, Hurts, Lamar, they all had some of the same issues and succeeded as rookies because they could run.

1 Like

That’s what intrigues me most about Willis. He’s mobile and keeps his eyes up.

What I don’t like is he folded against actual competition.

Still don’t want him picked. But again, I’d understand it, because we are weak at the most important position on the field.

I think Willis can do better than any of those dudes (much more between the ears). I think Hurts still has a chance, but a slim one. I truly believe all situations are different. I’m down for grooming Willis, if Brad thinks that’s the way to go.

IF Brad believes, I will be super-duper excited, because I believe in Brad so much…
To me, it will mean there is a high likelihood that we are going to a SB soon.

I know the “realists” are coming for my head after that statement.

If they take him, they should definitely play him, we’re not contenders like San Fran. The question is, if we go winless in 2022, do we take Bryce Young next year? Because Tim Boyle could do that.

I still can’t believe that people universally seem to accept that sitting Mahomes for the entire year was the best move.

I remember hearing many reports out if the Chiefs organization that detailed how he was putting on a show in practice… displaying talent that veteran coaches and players had not seen before.

And… they were content to roll with a guy that had zero chance of winning them a super bowl.

Mahomes was allowed to play the 16th game.
If he was able to play that game without shattering (shadoobie) his frail ego … why not play him some before that time???

The Chiefs won each of the 3 previous games by 10+ points. They could have got him some reps to see what he could handle.

Eventually… that team lost to a mediocre Titans team and barely moved the ball in the 2nd half.
If Chiefs would have won… they could have been a road win against the Patriots away from battling Bortles for a Super Bowl visit.

Likely?

Probably not.
But… I think we all knew Alex Smith wasn’t gonna go into Foxborough and beat Brady… so why not try with Mahomes?

I certainly can’t be convinced that having Mahomes hold a clip board for the last month of the season protected his fragile confidence.

I’ve seen many interviews with ex players and they say at the nfl level coaching staff’s hardly teach fundamentals. They just don’t have time anymore with all the new restrictions in place. I’m not sure how much this effects quarterbacks as opposed to bigger position groups. 90% of practice reps go to the starters for most teams.

1 Like

It’s easy to say that now looking back but it’s not always that simple. I’m sure mahomes did wow the chiefs with his talent. That doesn’t mean he was ready to read defenses and lead an offense. They had a veteran quarterback in place that was a multiple pro bowl quarterback at the time. He was the leader of a playoff team. Could mahomes stepped in year one and played great? Maybe he would have. I don’t know. But I’m certainly not going to question the decision by Andy Reid. Especially not knowing everything that went on behind the scenes.

1 Like

Did you think the Chiefs had any chance to win the Super Bowl… in 2017… with Alex Smith as the starting QB?