Poll: If Lions take Willis at 2, should/will he sit?

I just dont see it with Willis. He is a big project. Round 3 to 4 prospect. He is all tools and he really isnt even that fast. Corrall is faster. Taking a QB high this year will crater our rebuild. Just my opinion.

2 Likes

No. I also don’t think we are more qualified than Andy Reid to decide who his team’s starting QB is.

It would be fun to talk to him about it and see what was behind his decisions
though.

2 Likes

The correct answer, for this team, for this philosophy of coaching, for this culture, is simple. You put the guy out on the field that has earned the job and gives you the best chance to lead you to victory on the field of battle.

What we, as fans, are often blind to is how precious every moment on the field truly is. A lifetime of preparation for a career that can be over with one injury.

In case the last game of the season didn’t drive the lesson home, Dan Campbell isn’t screwing around and playing games, he’s coaching to win every single game.

If they draft Willis, but Goff wins the job, I have zero doubt that they will continue to play Goff as long as he keeps earning it, even if that means Willis rides the pine for three years.

Personally, I don’t think they draft Willis, or Walker, or Gardner and I’ll tell you why. Greg Robinson. That’s why. Holmes hasn’t forgotten Greg Robinson, and he’s right back in 2014, right here, right now.

2 Likes

I can’t say yay or nay. I honestly don’t remember that squad that well.

My thought…. is that the Chiefs don’t trade up… and bypass the chance to add a guy like Marshon Lattimore in 2017… or just keep their 2017 & 2018 picks… if they themselves believed they could win a Super Bowl with Alex Smith.

Much like people around here who have no interest in drafting a QB if they believe Goff can win with the right talent around him…. the Chiefs would have done everything possible to win in 2017 if they thought Alex Smith was capable.

1 Like

Aaron Rogers would like a moment.

2 Likes

In that moment… I would venture a guess that Rodgers would tell us he definitely didn’t need to sit 3 years behind Favre… or even 1 year.

But Willis is SO much more handsome than Mahommes. I’m not sure how we pass him up.

Get it done, Holmes!

He may have thought so, but he was not better than Favre at the time.

1 Like

I’m sure they saw how talented mahomes is. They can draft a quarterback to sit behind Alex smith for a year or two. Smith was 32 at the time. It doesn’t necessarily mean they didn’t think they couldn’t win a super bowl with smith. It’s smart planning for the future. Maybe they thought the roster was good enough to make the move without sacrificing anything for that season. Who knows. In the end they took mahomes and got their Lombardi trophy. So it all worked out.

1 Like

In 2005… Rodgers’ rookie season…

Favre threw 20 TDs and 29 INTs… and went 4-12.

2 Likes

Different era. Back then under the old CBA it was fine to sit your QB. Better even. You gained no advantage from playing him. Things are very different today.

1 Like

Doesn’t mean he was better than Favre. He wasn’t.

1 Like

Not sure why it’s such a foreign concept that teams may draft a player they see tremendous potential in but realize he is not ready to play the year they draft him? Realize he isn’t the player he could be at the time they draft him.

To sit them when they have an established QB who is more than capable to lead the team currently.

1 Like

Yeah… I think we all know that… but the point wasn’t that the Packers would have been better in 2005 with Rodgers under center.

The point is that there is zero proof that starting a player in his rookie season will “ruin him” if he struggles a bit.

Peyton went 3-13 in his rookie year… had his worst completion percentage as a pro, and threw 28 INTs.

The next season… he went 13-3, made the pro bowl, and threw for over 4000 yards (which wasn’t as easy in 1999).

Aikman…. went 0-11 in his rookie year… threw twice as many INTs as TDs!

you stink elaine benes GIF by HULU

You have to trust your assessment of him. The one you made during the draft analysis stage. If your analysis said he would benefit from sitting, why change it because you actually decided to draft him?

Just as starting someone year one may not ruin him, it also can be said, sitting someone a year (or two) shouldn’t ruin them either.

Mahommes, etc.

Think about how much more handsome Stafford is than all of these MF’rz. Geez. Now he’s winning titles too!

Being an NFL quarterback is not about learning the offense. Many failed QBs knew the offense well. Its about learning NFL defenses, and the nuances to how they change and morph. And to do that, the QB needs to have a good grasp of himself and how a 65 year old man that’s been in the NFL for 30 years is years going to attack him (the defensive coordinator). And what works today will not work tomorrow, so the QB has to constantly reinvent himself to perform at the same level.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 240 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.