Prayers for Tua

Even if they didn’t, for the public consumption part it’s their only move.

1 Like

100% true. I was working the day one of our guys retired. They brought him into the cafeteria, gave him a cheap gift , a price of cake and a small round of applause. This man had been with Marriott for over 50 years. Be basically helped build the company into a billion dollar empire. It was eye opening how little they cared. 50 years! If they don’t care about him I KNOW they could give a shit about me.

1 Like

I can’t believe there are a few people here who are still saying everything about Sunday was normal. It clearly wasn’t.

1 Like

That’s NOT what I’m saying.
I’m saying Sunday is irrelevant.
Tua is one of the people that decided he was okay to play, Thursday!

But I guarantee he was pressured to play in primetime Thursday night football. The Star QB is essential for ratings, I’m sure the NFL and the networks wanted him out there too, not just the Dolphins.

He was also concussed 4 days earlier, so his critical thinking skills were likely not working properly. I had 2 concussions that I know of, and I really couldn’t think properly for a few days after both of them. After about 5 days, I seemed pretty much back to normal. Who really knows the long term damage they do though.

I’m not a doctor, nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn express last night but it’s not likely he hurt his separated shoulder more on his non-throwing arm by going back in. Other considerations for parking the rest of then year were that the season was already lost, and Stafford was having a historically bad rookie year, rated last in nearly every metric.

It’s the same injury by that way that Cook sustained last week against us and is probably going to play through it Sunday. And the same injury Swift has, who is going to miss a few weeks. Every week players play through strains, pulls, fractures to ribs, ankles, hands etc…

It’s the nature of the business Not even in the same universe as a concussion.

By this logic anyone with an injury to any part of their body needs to be sidelined in case that injury stops them from falling easier. Last year Stafford played most of the year with a strained ligament in his throwing arm. He played through a lot of pain and discomfort. I guess the Rams should have benched him

One year with the Lions he played with a broken thumb. I suppose we should have benched him.That thumb injury might have stopped him from using his hands to stop him from falling more like a ninja

In 2020 he played with some minor back fractures. That must have hurt and may have hindered his lithe-ness during a potential fall. We should have benched him out of caution

In fact perhaps we should eliminate tackling and out red flags in every waistband. All a defender needs to do is grab the flag. Problem solved (and nobody will ever watch a game again)

For the record Im 100% for taking all concussion caution. Tua should not have been on the field

But it’s also a violent sport and people are expected to play through other injuries. And it’s not the only dangerous career. Way more workers crab fishing every year are maimed, hurt or killed. It’s an outrage. Let’s stop eating crab. So many miners develop cancer and lung issues. That’s terrible - Let’s stop using coal so not turn on lights.

Loggers, roofers, pilots…Theres hundreds of injuries and dozens of deaths every year. Hell almost 1,000 truck drivers die every year in auto accidents. Many more seriously injured. But that doesn’t stop us from shopping for produce or ordering online

We live in a dangerous imperfect world. The one good thing about the NFL is unlike most the jobs mentioned above the average NFL player makes nearly three million a year. So yeah. Sorry your arm hurts Matt. Now go out there and win this game

Nice the
“What about ism argument”
If you care about the crab fishermen
Lead with that , as I know it’s dangerous plus plenty of other dangerous jobs that get paid less
Thst also rely on public consumption and detachment from
The risks.

All the other things , Stafford playing through broken thumb probably cost lions their division lead. Trust the back up just a bit

The rest kind of makes the whole of the point -
It is dangerous work, there’s a difference in injuries plus individual players risk or pain tolerance

It’s one reason why the NFLpa has had to fight for player safety more so than the owners coming out and showing the players the risks they’re taking

In this on going evolution of the CBA , the changes in the game , the money now at risk in any one super star weighing short term vs long term organizational risks and goals , etc

Saying Cook is playing through same injury would need to see if it is exactly the same but even more than that will take some hindsight to see if the decision played to their favor.

We do have plenty of examples of athletes who may have rushed back to soon or not addressed injuries soon enough.

If you care
Obviously in how you talk about Matt’s arm
Thst it seems you don’t care
As it’s part of risk

But this neglects to say

For your trucker example

They are directed how many hours is safe a day to drive or some people do

So if a driver is checked out by the driving company doctor who says he’s fine to drive
Or the company says if you don’t drive
Even though you shouldn’t likely be driving
We’ll cut ties.
Which in real world actually does likely happen -

But the discussion revolves around how one is treated after injury at work. These are also everyday every employer employee type things where injuries occur or disability etc.

It’s why miners who got cancer slso had some people fighting for more help to them

1 Like

This is not the hill to die on. We should all be on the same page here.

1 Like

Mike McDaniel needs to be fired.

The fact he doesn’t means I have no faith in the system.

There’s no argument.

We all saw the same thing in the Bills game. Including McDaniel. I hope he never coaches again.

He was OK with the consequences because winning and money was more important than Tua’s life.

Full stop.

2 Likes

Pressured? Depends on what you call pressure.
Did they tell him he’d never play another game if he didn’t play?
I seriously doubt it.
They pressured him like any boss pressures a sick employee to come in, or, used to, pre covid.
Don’t get me wrong, I fully sympathize. Few people understand his pain like I do, but, I truly had no choice. He did.
It’s definitely ALL about the Benjamin’s. His choice to play, included.
Not just Tua. Every single player that steps onto the field of play should be under no illusion that it could be the last healthy day they ever have. That’s the risk they have deemed, “acceptable” by taking the job. Few walk away from football with the quality of life that a regular person enjoys, but, they should have a boatload of cash and maybe fame.
Roll them dice!

Haha are you really comparing an employee with a cold going to work to a dude who just got knocked out 4 days ago and then played again!?

He should have never been allowed to play. And he shouldn’t have had any choice in the matter.

I’m comparing choices.
Now that you bring it up, the choice should have been a no brainer.
The ultimate choice was in Tua’s hands. He’s made a lot of money. If it were me, I’d have retired, Sunday evening.

You’re missing the point that a concussed person is not thinking properly or clearly. That’s why they have team doctors that are meant to prevent them from doing something stupid.

2 Likes

He had 3 days to talk to doctors and family. They weren’t concussed.

You can make an argument for Thursday. The one you can’t really argue is him coming back into the game on Sunday when he clearly collapsed on the field just 30 minutes prior due to his “back injury”. The NFLs best hope is that people are stupid, that’s what they’re counting on.

2 Likes

Oh!
Have you read that he will play Sunday if he’s cleared?
That’s what he’s saying.

Next Sunday!? Shit that would be beyond stupid after having 2 concussions in 4 days. One more and it might be game over. He needs to take at least a month off to heal, probably more.

1 Like

Will he be a victim, if he chooses to play, Sunday?