QB Malik Willis isn't guarranteed to make Titan's roster

So, the fall continues?

Despite being selected in the third round of the 2022 draft, Malik Willis isn’t a lock to make the Titans roster. While Jim Wyatt of the team’s website believes the quarterback will ultimately make the squad, he cautions that the “roster spot isn’t guaranteed.”

The Titans drafted Willis as more of a long-term project instead of a definitive successor to Ryan Tannehill, but the Liberty product was thrown into the fire as a rookie. Willis ended up going 1-2 in his three starts, completing 50.8 percent of his passes for 276 and three interceptions. He also added 123 rushing yards and one touchdown on 27 attempts.

Tannehill struggled through injuries and saw a drop in production in 2022, but the Titans will bring him back for at least one more season in 2023. At one time, the organization likely envisioned Willis stepping into a full-time role for the 2024 campaign, but things quickly changed during this past year’s draft.

He better start putting Mayo in his coffee.

If this is true it tells you that the former GM took Willis without buy in from the staff.

Man, the Titans did him dirty. He was a KNOWN project. Like, most people assumed he would need 2-3 years to be ready, but then COULD set the world on fire due to his fantastic measurables and work ethic. And then he pretty much gets thrown under the bus after one year?

Could be a prime ‘reclamation project’ if he gets cut and someone can keep him on roster…

6 Likes

I’d argue the NFL draft process did him dirty. There were plenty of places reporting that Malik Willis was not an NFL talent. There were others that said that he just needed NFL coaching. Well, it’s clear the Titans felt they gave him NFL coaching, and have not seen the progress to convince them that he will be a player.

My kid was big into the Malik Willis hype, and wanted the Lions to get him with their second pick or at least in the 2nd round. I said Willis was not a 1st round talent and maybe a late 2nd. He wasn’t either.

The biggest issue I have heard with him is, he cannot throw to the left side of the field. I don’t care how athletically talented you may be in terms of measurables, if you can’t use one side of the field, you have no future in professional sports. Had Malik played in a tougher conference in college, he wouldn’t have been remotely close to highly hyped and rated.

2 Likes

Yuuuup
sign me up for that move. He evolves into something, even if something tradable and/or a great insurance policy…or more! Our staff is fantastic at developing talent and putting players in position to win.

I just can’t tell if it’s titans or media
Since this guy suggests titans will keep him over cutting him.

It’s a weird I told you so vibe from lions fans who said he wasn’t worth drafting but the truth is … he’s a project in his second season.
I thought nfl had better coaches than liberty.

1 Like

Very possible, if not likely as well. Also → he has never really had great coaches before he got to NFL either. He really needs that assistance. Truthfully, I belive in him because of the man that he is. Good men have a higher likelihood of becoming good players. I like that principle better than great talent regardless of coach ability, ethics, etc…and so does our staff. He would be a great fit here as a human.

That said, as someone pointed out, it’s the speed with which you can read a defense that is the biggest question mark with him.

1 Like

If I’m the Titans I consider trying to get him into some gadget packages at least. A Randel El kind of thing. If he won’t go for it, then it’s time to do something else. I can’t imagine he has nothing to offer at all.

It is a shame how hyped up he was, there were people wanting him in the top ten

5 Likes

I have a feeling the Titans won’t be very good this season.

2 Likes

Lord, could you imagine if a team had pulled the trigger and drafted him in the first?

I was genuinely worried we would be that team.

2 Likes

There are many here who wanted him 2OA -

Good kid, but that processing NFL D’s can be a bitch

We’ll see about Hooker

2 Likes

Could be a complete bust.
I never saw it. What measurables are you speaking of? I went searching for any justification for all the hype last year and found zip, zero, denotta.
He doesn’t have Justin Fields measurables, and proved it on the field.
Sorry, he’s a career backup, if he’s extremely lucky and puts every ounce of his “work ethic” into it.

Perfect.

We can steal Malik Willis or Matt Corral on the cheap

1 Like

Imagine someone who knew absolutely nothing about football reading this post.
hahahahahaha!!!

2 Likes

He will make likely due to new QB rule teams can keep 3 an one will not count on the roster. This is like to avoid what happened last season with 49r’s

2 Likes

imagine how tragic it would have been picking him at 2OA

1 Like

Good thing we dont have millen anymore

1 Like

Please no.
Cheap doesn’t mean worthwhile.

1 Like