QB Malik Willis isn't guarranteed to make Titan's roster

I remember one poster who said he was going to laugh at us Goff supporters after the Lions take Willis at 2

1 Like

It’s still an interesting I told you so crowing dynamic at play for a need to respond to the “delusional group”

In fact , what if he ends up panning out like Geno Smith ? That guy just got franchised and was a first round pick.

Should the delusional crown show up
Just to rub it in to say I told you so ?

Probably any fan can claim a Loss on a player they thought would be a great pro -

Nfl needs more good QBs. With his skills he could become exciting to watch. I’ll root for that ( mildly root , I’m not following them much ) since it’ll make the nfl better to watch.

I don’t disagree. He could be good. But he’s not first round good. Definitely not 2OA good. He’s a late round, toolsy, developmental QB good. Someone who might earn a shot and could be a great story

1 Like

Interesting in terms of worth
Because if he does become a hood QB then he’s more or less worth a first in comparison to the league even if it’s later in his career.
While Rich Gannon may not have been a first , I’m sure teams would’ve given up a first to get the player he became -

If Willis becomes good over his first contract and develops into a good player , he’ll be seen as a steal.

1 Like

that’s the thing though about draft value. You can’t draft a developmental QB top ten and pay them 30 million dollars to sit and develop

Because even if they do, that’s no longer a steal. At least not for the drafting team. That’s also why I was against taking Hooker in the first round. But happy we got him in the third

I’ve been saying for years we should have spend some mid round capital on QBs. Even during the Stafford years. There’s a pretty vocal contingent who insist that’s a waste of resources and QBs should only be drafted in the top ten

I totally disagree. The Pats did this for years and kept young talent as the backup and investment and a few times flipped them for solid draft capital

1 Like

Geno Smith didn’t “pan out”. He’s on his 4th NFL team. He’s a veteran that found new life with a new teach/coaching staff (kind of like Goff).

1 Like

I was never against taking a QB when lions had Stafford. I didn’t call Herbert as being good but thought lions should’ve considered him at the top of that draft
And I thought lions should’ve drafted minshew
The patriots philosophy isn’t a neat time line and Brady was a peak performer. Drafting Jimmy seems ok but a different player might’ve helped deliver a ring since Brady wasn’t waning.
I don’t remember who Brady back up was during years 2-7 of his career , etc …

If Goff plays like an MVP this year and is the guy , using a third round pick on a player who won’t see the field … doesn’t mean that player can get flipped for that much more either.
That could turn into a luxury puck costing lions a player who could help this year

I don’t know if I’m making sense , I’m not disagreeing with what you said about a qb philosophy - I think it too but I also think I’ve built up the success of it more than it actually happens.

Probably a good pro qb prospect is really helped by a franchises stability and coaching , which the lions seem to be offering right now.

If Goff keeps playing like he has and healthy as he had , it’ll be hard for hooker to play.

1 Like

This is where what ifs occur though since Geno was drafted based on skill set and not n a stable talented environment he’s actually shined and been paid

Unless you think Jets are great at developing QBs in a stable environment.
After those first years , QBs reps are damaged , options change , priorities , etc

What made Geno perform like a first round QB last year and before ? ( since first round QBs also have a huge failure rate compared against his peers , some who never found a late pro bowl invite … )

Just as Willis rep will take a hit as damaged goods if it doesn’t work out in Tennessee

I think they won the SB the very next year. And two more after then. Not sure they needed help a different pick would have given.

I did a run down a while back of all the QBs drafted in the Brady era and there were a few that brought better trade and player value than the original pick

Guessing you wanted Wrangler

By the patriots ?
Jimmy filled as a capable back up but returned the second round pick if I’m not mistaken. Cassell …

I do think a good stable winning org helps make the back up look attractive different than the guy coming from a bad situation.

Niners are talking up Darnold so if it was Jets that nearly ruined him , it might not be surprising.

NFL needs to figure out how to develop these QBs tho.

And three years from now the regrading of the draft will be a “C” with the explanation of: Despite how good Jahmyr Gibbs has been the last two years, the Lions passed on [guy picked 15th or 19th or something] who is now the best defensive back/edge/WR in the league!

It takes QB a LONG time to reach their peak and only the best are good enough early enough to save the current coach’s job. Then the next guy comes in and wants someone else.

I guarantee there are a half dozen Geno Smiths in the league right now. Darnold might be one of them.

I looked it up. We had this exact conversation in April :yum:

1 Like

Start to jog memory … anyways I agree it’s worth taking guys with upside and a plan to develop them

But can’t take those types with any real valuable picks if you don’t have a path to the roster and time to develop them ( bq method )

Embarrassed Lil Kim GIF by VH1 Hip Hop Honors

1 Like

100%
some guys will make fun of you & try to push buttons to feel better about themselves, but the reality is → it s no different than believing in the BroMart pick & believing in holmes. I am going to always default to believing in Holmes, with hopes of filling certain positions

The HOPE was for a stud QB…& IF Brad takes him, you have faith in that & it’s fun’n’exciting. NOT the same as “I would take Willis”.

Always will be some people trying to put words in your mouth for the sake of drama though.

that way later they can come in & be like “weren’t you a Malik guy”
answer → sort of, yup

4 Likes

…& im-mature! :wink:

I think there was like one person on that bandwagon. Some like me were ok with a trade down that netted additional picks (thus mitigating the pick with at least one additional positional starter) and taking him in the mid to end of round 1. I was one of those. IF the staff believed in him. As far as what he is NOW - He’s a third round pick forced to play as a rookie, who ended up 1-2 as a starter as a project rookie. With an article saying he may not make the roster if they go with 2 QBs. It is totally fine to say folks like me got it wrong in the draft because he wasn’t drafted until the 3rd. It is too early to write the book on Malik Willis.

1 Like

Conversely, someone can also have their own opinion on a player. If Holmes had drafted Malik at 2OA, I would not have supported it just because I trust Holmes.

I would have been off the Holmes-wagon faster than uh….faster than something really really fast.

That would have been worse than disrupting practice in a Bill Cosby sweater and white tennis shoes on a shiny new Harley or drafting Joey third overall.

Making fun of the notion of drafting Willis there is fair, not because of how it might make one feel about themselves. Rather because it would have been a spectacularly bad decision and effectively sunk this rebuild

1 Like

Never said anything to contest or counterpoint that. I’m just talking about having faith in Holmes.

We all “fan” how we fan.

But putting words I. The mouths of people who never said that….
Meh… not worth the energy.

We all have different ideas of what is/isn’t fair. None of my business what someone else’s ideas are. No biggie.

I think that’s accurate.

My view was no: