Question for draft pick spoilers

Every year we go through this where people have to announce who the pick is before it’s announced on tv. Because of this I make the decision not to follow along on the Den and just follow on tv.

However, my question for the folks that spoil the pick before it’s announced is “Why do it?” Is it some sort of twisted bragging rights that you posted it before every one else does?. Or are you the type that just likes to ■■■■ things up for other people?

Just curious what motivates you do post stuff before it’s announced on tv or on the normal websites like ESPN?

Before it was verboten, my thought was that some people would want to know ASAP who the Lions picks (or other teams’ picks), were. I know I did, especially since the Lions were largely ignored and/or they constantly used to go to commercials during the Lions picks.

Personally, I don’t see how it “ruins” anything for anyone. Everyone is going to find out anyway–it’s just a matter of when and usually less than a minute or two in advance. And, not everybody can be in front of a TV when the draft is going on. An internet site might be the only way they have to follow the draft, i.e. they’re at work, at an activity, and over the weekend portion, some have been at weddings, family events, and the like.

I’d ask the question from the opposite perspective. Why is the feeling of “surprise” necessary while watching the draft on TV? Why wouldn’t you rather know ASAP instead of waiting for the commercials and other B.S. which proceeds the formal announcement?

3 Likes

I don’t like it either but it’s pretty easy to avoid. I just leave this place while we’re on the clock and don’t come back until I see the pick.

2 Likes

I have come to realize I am going to have to watch the draft. The thought of the Lions trading up is too much to miss. Of course in the past, you could watch the draft and the Lions would be done at a reasonable time. But now they will likely be around midnight if the keep the 29th pick. So I suspect I will get on by 8:45-9 and watch till I fall asleep. The first 3 picks are pretty much a given. Well maybe get on by 8:20 so I can see if NE actually grabs JJ. I suspect they try to trade down as they value him more than most so he will likely be available later.

1 Like

It’s almost like some feeds are ahead or behind others. It’s no different than on gameday when it’s possible some people are almost 2 minutes behind others. The reality is, there is no way to sync up the information between 200+ people all receiving information at different times.

5 Likes

Yea that’s the method I use but for all the picks. Wait for the broadcast pick then get on for reaction. There’s so much time between picks (unless you’re Brad Holmes :joy:) that you can get caught up on the board before the next pick is announced.

2 Likes

If I was worried about spoilers I’d never be in the draft threads or the game day threads. Comcast is consistently behind by at least 30 seconds. So in the game day threads I know if a play works or not before the ball is even in Jared’s hands

1 Like

If You Aint First Youre Last Will Ferrell GIF by StickerGiant

Haha only kidding. Just avoid the den when were on the clock… easy to solve

1 Like

Never bothered me, it comes out early can still watch the event live and hear the reactions.

I will be recording ESPN and NFL network flipping back and forth so at some point I will be running behind the live view. Then realizing this as I see posts, no different than the gameday threads.

1 Like

Amazon Smile GIF by NFL On Prime Video

100%
“If you ain’t first, you’re last!”
… shake’n’bake!!!

2 Likes

I gotta say this is a bit of an empty complaint. As even if we are all waiting till we see it on TV you are not going to be in sinc. I watch everything streaming and if I am chatting on the phone with someone watching the game over the air he is often a play ahead. Or even if both streaming but different Wifi or channels we are not in sinc.

I do not think many do it to try to ruin your time or be the one to announce the pick or play. It is just when they see it.

There are 2 problems…
Problem 1; there are dudes that get off on “spoiling”. We’re talking smart, respected members here. It’s like a nervous tick. Uncontrollable.

Problem 2; there is no way humanly possible to time the moment everyone finds out to be the same. The information comes in faster for some viewers than others. In that case, if you’re part of a more rapid feed, you’re taking yourself out of the conversation until ~who~ posts? Like, who does everyone literally wait for?

Conclusion: close the lid on your laptop until you’ve seen the pick and then open up to comment. There’s just no way to regulate the delivery and reaction to picks.

Tonight I’ll be watching on channel 7 or 12 and know already that there will be a delay on the delivery since ESPN is being re-broadcast on our local ABC. I enjoy the show and commentary, so I’ll be closing the lid on the laptop a LOT tonight.

I’ve done this like the last 4 or more years. Honestly, not sure what was more annoying—the people that did it or the posters who would yell and scream about it when the fix was pretty simple.

1 Like

And here it is…some just like to complain and bitch.

The fix is sooooo easy, own your happiness people
create your own

last year we had a thread away from the chat…
which quite a few of us chose to use to discuss without “spoiling” the picks. We just gave the selections a few moments before mentioning the specific player picked.

The part that I found funny is that a few posters were actually annoyed that some of us avoided the chat…
and made negative comments about it. :man_shrugging:

Jerry Seinfeld Reaction GIF

1 Like