Question: The timeout whoopsy

I disagree. Stafford needed a safety valve at least 5 yards from the LOS.

[/quote]

Agreed. What’s the point of running Amendola on a go route when he could never get separation. I understand he’s a decoy but you’re putting all your eggs in one basket. Amendola should have been running dig or whip route at the marker. That’s his strength.
[/quote]

Amendola was the only one that got separation. His defender had to reach out and grab him as he was going by.

1 Like

I see what you’re saying, but an incomplete pass means the clock stops.

Even taking a knee takes another 40 seconds off the clock. Then we punt and rely on the defense.

At that point, 5 yards ices the game. they know it, but if you’re sending a pile of WRs on a go route, send one guy on a crossing pattern into where the other guys cleared out. Receiver always has the initiative advantage over the defender. A quick break inside from whoever that was on the left (Defender was giving a 5 yard cushion pre snap) seems like a higher percentage throw. Watch the play, there was all kinds of green there.

YAC gets you 5 yards. That’s still plenty aggressive.

Sending them all deep doesn’t make much sense to me given the likelihood of an incomplete pass and stopping the clock…

Even with time it’s a much lower % play and terrible timing given the situation. Could still be a batted ball, over/under throw, INT or a drop.

The biggest sin on that play is not having a RB on the field… That was very cooter-ish… Telegraphing to the defense that you’re passing when the previous play they sold out to stop the run was ill advised.

You’re a good guy to take the defense of Bevell here. I appreciate it. No sarcasm, I straight up appreciate it.

1 Like

Look at the screen shot.
AZ had 7 guys on the line of scrimmage. We had 6.
They have to know somebody is coming unblocked.
Everybody can’t run deep routes. Or Matt should have ran behind the clear out.
The play doesn’t make sense they way it was executed.

Wilson would have run it. I presume it was a play used in Seattle before.

1 Like

Agreed. What’s the point of running Amendola on a go route when he could never get separation. I understand he’s a decoy but you’re putting all your eggs in one basket. Amendola should have been running dig or whip route at the marker. That’s his strength.
[/quote]

Amendola was the only one that got separation. His defender had to reach out and grab him as he was going by.
[/quote]

He was, but that’s still not playing to his strengths. In fact, Stafford didn’t even look his way and chucked it up to Golladay in hopes that he’d win a 50:50 ball.

I understand every bit of what you said and I agree. However, I’m looking at the bigger picture and the kinds of things good teams do, whether people realize it or not. The season is a marathon, not a sprint. It took a perfect storm of events to happen to NOT win that football game…which all started with an 11 yard punt I’m sure noone would calculate.

I dont think it was the worst call when you keep the rest of the season in mind. One thing that catches up quickly with bad teams and bad coordinators is always doing what is expected of them. Bevell was aggressive and took a shot. In doing so he attempted to ice the game against a depleted secondary and put the rest of the league on notice in a similar situation. I can’t hate that, even though I would have chosen a different approach.

1 Like

I think you’re right about that aspect. It does not hurt to be perceived as chaotic.

2 Likes

[/quote]

He was, but that’s still not playing to his strengths. In fact, Stafford didn’t even look his way and chucked it up to Golladay in hopes that he’d win a 50:50 ball.
[/quote]

You guys kill me with this stuff, dating all the way back to Reggie Bush running between the tackles. All you ever want to do with guys is 1 or 2 things you’ve determined he’s only good for. But if that’s all you ever do with the guy, most guys then become worthless or at the very least worth-less because everybody knows what’s coming.

At any rate, the more I watch the play the more I think the go’s were meant to clear out for TJ leaking out late.

I looked for that too, but if that’s true, Hock screwed up by not getting off the block fast enough and Stafford really didn’t seem to look for that, but there might have been a glance with his eyes that we’d never see.

It’s a good idea. It would explain why he (Stafford) was upset and why the WRs weren’t really looking for the ball.

In a do or die situation, you should have your guys play to their strengths. Things they are comfortable with and what they excel at so they have a chance. I’m not saying all he should ever run are short routes, but that’s exactly why he was brought here as a slot receiver. All we heard all camp long was how he couldn’t be covered, then when the biggest play of the offense up to that point you have him run a fly? Sorry, that’s bad coaching.

And yes, it looks like a delayed release by TJ would’ve been there, but they blitzed and we didn’t have time to allow that to develop. So there was no hot route in case they brought the blitz or maybe Amendola or one of the WRs didn’t recognize the blitz and adjusted their route?? So it may not have been a bad coaching call but poor execution. I guess we’ll never know.

1 Like

So in any critical situation, you are simply going to have every player on your team do exactly what I expect them to do every single time? I would love to call plays against you.

1 Like

We will have to see what kind of adjustments they make going forward. Those plays work because the tight end delays and sells the block. If you rush the block it’s not as effective.

To keep things simple, if there’s a dozen routes he can run, you pick the one route that is least likely to succeed. I’d love to call plays against you.

I’m all about keeping teams off balance. Bevel had MJ running short routes across the middle with some success. It keeps the D honest and it sets up for a kill shot later.

1 Like

So just for the record, you WOULD NOT send old ass Larry Fitzgerald on a deep route in a key situation…correct?

Hock had to have seen the guy running free at the QB. Needs to get off sooner if that’s the play. He’s a rookie, therefore, the speed of the NFL is something he isn’t particularly familiar with. I cut rookies a lot of slack. I’d rather not see them on the field, though.

Against a safety in his first NFL start? Sure.

So in a critical situation you wouldn’t run your most elusive receiver on a hot route to get a 1st down and instead run him deep in hopes of catching a team off guard 3 weeks later?

That’s kind of a strawman…

What’s the point of clearing out the left of the field? That’s not going to affect Stafford’s target on the far sideline. Break the WR on the left inside. You still get the crazy play to look chaotic, but you get the first down and end the game, too.