Quick note about the PUP

FYI - There has been a change to the PUP this year. I thought this was relevant since it might impact a few Lions such as Jamo and Okwara.

You only need to miss 4 games now. It’s no longer 6. This is a change from previous years that may impact some of the Lions’ decisions in the coming months here. Wasn’t aware of this until today so I thought I’d share since I’ve seen a few of us mentioning 6 weeks for the PUP.

9 Likes

Thanks for the heads-up. It would be nice to get Jamo and maybe Jacobs back after four games and the bye in the fifth week. Its looking like some others like Romeo may need longer anyway.

2 Likes

Good info. Thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

I brought this up a while back in another thread. But I think we could see the Lions place more players on the PUP then in years past. Especially with the Lions having a bye week in week 5 it only makes sense. There’s no need to hurry a player back and the Lions will likely elect to place more than usual on the PUP this season.

Players like. Okudah, Jacobs, Okwara and Williams just to name a few are high candidates.

Okudah especially makes sense to me. Why hurry him back. I realize we’re thin at CB but Achilles injuries take time and rarely do you see a player return to 100% form. It makes sense to bring him back slowly. The PUP allows you ti do just that without having to lose him for a better part of the season.

4 Likes

Glad to see the rules are catching up with both medicine and rehab advances by shortening the PUP list and also the amount of injuries by expanding rosters and practice squads. The game and the times are changing, get with the program!

Good info thanks for posting this

This is a great point and I bet you are correct… after the bye we get a whole group of players back with ample recovery time

1 Like

Yep and that means they could still play 13 games potentially. Makes sense to me. We might not be at full strength to start the season, but we could be in great shape by mid to late October.

2 Likes

And isn’t that what we really want anyway? Get the troops healthy for the long haul and end of season… if we can get some key contributors back after 4 games, that could set us up for better success in October and November and dare I say December…

3 Likes

You went there! Just playing a game in December where we haven’t been eliminated from the playoffs yet would be nice!

3 Likes

Haha playing a game after Halloween where we haven’t been eliminated would be a damn party

Sadly that’s been my measuring stick for. Few years… are we still in it at Halloween?

2 Likes

This would give anyone we place on the PUP 2 weeks of practice before the game week 6 then, right?

They can’t practice while on the PUP but are there any rules about practicing during the bye week?

2 Likes

Makes the halloween costume super easy though!!!

다운로드

3 Likes

I would assume the bye week plays to our advantage in this case, as they could be taken off the PUP after 4 weeks, have that bye week, then a full week of practice to play in week 6. But I could be wrong

Since when did having an early bye week actually be a good thing??

3 Likes

It will be fun to see how leadership handles this ….

1 Like

So I just read that players must have 4 consecutive days off during the bye week.

Still, that gives the PUP players 3 days to get with coaches and maybe do some position drills, get up to speed before the full practice next week…

3 Likes

That’s what I’m thinking… the guys who have been playing get a vacation, but the ones coming back from PUP stick around the facility and get brought up to speed.

2 Likes

Ever since they changed the PUP rule. :upside_down_face:
It seems we are getting every scheduling break possible this year. Its like the league is making up for decades in one 17 week stretch!

2 Likes

It certainly does! But let’s pump the brakes until we see what the season brings us… because you know we always get the short end of the stick somehow…

I wouldn’t bother putting guys like Jamo on PUP. That way they can work him into the rotation however they want and not have 500 rules to follow. All PUP does is free up a roster spot for a guy that isn’t going to be active on gameday anyways. Its not worth the hassle for a guy like Jamo.

We should submit Tim Boyle for PUP. But instead of reporting an injury, we should send in his game film.

4 Likes

why start now? we’ve always let guys who are physically unable to perform play. see tavai, tabor, … and most any other second rounder…