Quinn speaks to media

It’s all fluff. I’ve been a sports fan long enough to never take what an executive says to the media seriously unless it’s somebody who’s blatantly honest like Jerruh.

Uh, we knew that Patricia was staying already so what based on this presser changed that?

You’re preaching to the choir and going on these rants as if I disagree with you on what needs to be done. It’s not necessary. I’m just saying that this presser didn’t change anything or bring to light anything we didn’t know already. These things are usually a big waste of time. Actions my man, that’s what Quinn will speak with for better or worse, not some words that ring hollow.

Great point.

If anything, this team was remarkably consistent.

Terrible defense, particularly on third downs and in fourth quarters.

Offenses that started well and generally faded at the end of games.

And a team that consistently gave up the plays necessary to give up the lead at the end of games.

If things are that consistently happening and management is mystified as to why, that’s a bad mark against management.

That’s why it’s galling to me that Matt Patricia is getting credit for so many losses being close or having the lead, instead of blame.

1 Like

Totally depends on the GM - some GM’s are very blunt and speak the truth - You speak like Quinn when you are CYA. Don’t make excuses for Quinn based on your finite knowledge. Yes many other GM’s will speak this way but not all. Fine by me if you want to wipe Quinns butt but I am not going to do it. I would prefer a man stand up at the podium and admit they have a problems and take responsibility. It was a cowardly PC and pretty much evaporated any respect I might have left for the man. As I said I am glad it met your expectations. Keep expected little and you will keep getting little.

I get that. I wish he would have just double talked his way thru it. There were some more descriptive things in there that I didn’t like.

But you also came into a thread that is discussing it.

Dude would have been better off flat out lying or pumping sunshine.

His previous pressers had me feeling like their was some type of plan.

This one has me feeling like he doesn’t know what he’s doing and isn’t smart enough to not let the public know.

2 Likes

Exactly - fluff or not there are things they can and should say and things they should not say. This was terrible even if it was fluff. He did not even start by saying 3 - 12 - 1 is not enough and as the GM that is my responsibility. You can have fluff without cowardice and he failed big time.

2 Likes

I’m not saying that others can’t discuss it and pick apart what he said. I’m just stating my opinion that his words mean nothing and that he’ll speak with his actions.

I don’t disagree that he could have handled it better but if he said what fans wanted to hear whatever that might have been, would that have made them feel better about the disaster season? He wasn’t going to fire Patricia so what else would have sufficed? If he said that 3-12 isn’t good enough (and come on, you don’t think he know this?), would that have made everybody feel better? Of course not.

Actually it would have made me feel better. Good leadership starts with accepting responsibility for ALL things underneath you. He took zero responsibility in this presser. If you lead from the perspective that you are OK and it is everybody else that needs to fix things you not only fail to fix your own problems but you create new problems for people working for you. You can share fluff all you want but still be a leader and take full responsibility. He clearly lacks leadership and has a skewed view of his own capabilities.

This may not be the place to express this but one facet I’ve been impressed with Quinn is his successful dumpster dives Okwara, Hall, Scarborough and (I believe in time) Michael Jackson will all provide value without giving up any resources. You could probably even include McKissic and a few others as well.

If I was to limit myself to one Quinn complaint it’s that he doesn’t even aim for stars. He’s been so damn risk averse with the assets that would have a decent (relatively speaking) chance of generating a star player.

1 Like

I hear what you are saying, but those moves were the result of Quinn ■■■■■■■ 5 or 6 times before he got them. Plus, I’m not convinced a single one of those guys make the roster on any decent team. They are here because the roster and depth is a disaster.

I actually thought he said what he had to say.

He was positive enough to satisfy Martha so that she could take a nice nap afterward, he fulfilled his yearly obligation to talk to the press, he avoided throwing any players or coaches under the bus, avoided reminding fans too much about what a terrible year it was, and admitted he would have to own the 3-12-1 record, thereby convincing himself he was being a straight shooter.

In other words, if he were a better GM, there wouldn’t be too big a problem about what he said in the press conference.

The problems are his bad personnel decisions and his cluelessness about establishing a winning work environment for his players.

I can’t stomach watching it right now. There’s no way he’s going to throw Patricia under the bus. He’s not going to say “I’m not a good GM.” He’s going down with the ship alongside Patricia and everything is going to be deflecting and excuses. It’s sad because I feel 2020 will be a hopeless season. I’m worried these clowns will make short term decisions and sacrifice building a strong foundation for the next crew that comes in…not that we’ve ever really had that except when Schwartz left.

I feel like we’re going to see a dumpster fire next year but we’ll win enough games to pick outside the top 5, so we won’t have a shot at Lawrence or Fields. Stafford will keep getting hammered and maybe he’ll finally feel like it’s time to hang it up and be with his family. Then we’ll endure another season or two of crappy QB play where we might end up with the #1 pick in 2023 and it’ll be the weakest QB class in a decade. So we’ll get the next Ryan Leaf and continue to suck for another 5 years. There might be some hope in 2030. In summary, get ready for another decade of Lions football.

I think Quinn is straight Bs across the board except for his coaching hire which has to be an F as of now. Unfortunately that hire is the most important part of his job.

1 Like

Yup, Yup, Yup, and YUP!

Look on the bright side; Susan Ford Hamp, the next generation of Ford ownership for probably the next thirty-plus years, signed off on retaining Quinntricia, too!

She’s being groomed in The Ford Family Way.

1 Like