Ragnow season ending surgery

Agree… great post by @detroit1811

Geoff Schwartz talked about the physical rehab cycle when Luck retired, and how he had played thru injuries during the season. Then the season ended, and he had to have surgery… which then kept him from being to rest his body for a while … and delayed starting offseason conditioning to try to get stronger for the following year.

It sounds like Ragnow has a tear of the MTP joint… the joint between foot and toe…which is a critical joint in developing power.

I have had some inflammation in my MTP joint on the bottom where the small sesamoid bones are located… and it is difficult to even walk with a normal stride when it happens. Really made me appreciate how hard it would be to perform as an athlete with any type of “turf toe” injury as these are typically called in sports reporting.

5 Likes

His openness and engagement with questions from the media is a huge part of what I like about him. He doesn’t run or deflect …he takes it head on. A lot of folks focus on the first few minutes of his first press conference. I enjoyed it too…but I really enjoyed the the remaining hour with his insights and thoughts on football.

Needs to get that first W and move on from there.

1 Like

This team was obviously a dumpster fire after 3 weeks. Now it feels like someone went out and found another flaming dumpster, and then dropped it on top of the one we already had.

1 Like

Vatai has been solid this season nor sure what some watch when Lions play…could be the cap number which is not his fault the former GM over paid…will he be back next season not sure they may want redo his deal I sure hope they keep him…Some on here think teams just go out an pick them up like apples…he is worth close to what he is getting an is healthy this year…with him we have solid starting OL … Way some talk they think Lions are only team that have injuries to starters before you whine look around all teams are having injuries its why you build back up depth shit happens…Ragnow this is good move he will be 100% next season an we will have a backup at Center in Brown gets his chance to be part of team moving forward. Vatai next season is just 8.4 million thats really good for a starting OG. Please watch game an look up his cap for 2022 before you bash him I see it with other players.

Now if they feel different they can let him go. If his play drops off in 2022 he is very cheap to trade or release but his play this year has been good so far.

1 Like

We really have reached the point where we should redshirt anyone valuable who gets more than a hangnail. This season has already imploded. We need guys like Ragnow back next year when the team will hopefully have a chance at winning.

Sucks to lose ragnow but I’d rather they take care of it and lose him for the season rather than have it impact his entire career.

This is a hit but how’s brown been doing ?
If he has a great year

The lions can trade one of them for cap space and future draft picks
( end sarcasm )

I wish Ragnow the best. He’s tough and it’s too bad he’s out.

This Is Fine GIF by 100% Soft

3 Likes

Vatai is making the 10th most for a guard in 2022. For those that use PFF, he is the 55th guard out of 74 total. That would put him as a below average starter. He has shown throughout this year and last that he is serviceable at best. You don’t pay those guys almost 10mil a year. Guard is one of the easiest positions to have a year one impact as a rookie. Jonah Jackson, Graham Glascow and Larry Warford were 3rd round rookies who we have drafted in the last 10 years that have had major year one impacts. We also have big money commited to Decker and Ragnow and a good chunk committed to Sewell as well. Would much rather get a cheap rookie on a 3rd/4th round contract to plug in there and sign a vet stopgap as a back-up for 2mil or less.

1 Like

He’s also playing between Evan Brown and Matt Nelson, so 55 out of 74 seems pretty good, all things considered.

1 Like

I like the idea of getting Stenberg some time on the field if they believe he is capable. He seemed to improve in the preseason… but we all know that doesn’t always translate to real games with actual stunts and blitzes. Just would be good to know if he is worth keeping around for a 3rd year.

1 Like

Why not!? We got nothing to lose, see what he’s got.

Ragnow will be more important next year. Let’s get him 100% while we’re playing meaningless football.

1 Like

I hate picking in top 3 , your always pressured to take a guy you don’t need because of value of the pic. I rather pick later and be able to pic the guy that best fits your team.

Lets get Stenberg some reps at TE.

Neither have I. Did it happen on one play? Was he dealing with it for awhile? What does ‘a version of turf toe’ really mean?

Actually last time we went through a regime change we went from 9 wins down to 6 and then to 3 and never got to 9 again, so going up would be new.

1 Like

We’ll win more than three games. Heck I think we may just go on a three game win streak at some point.

We’re so damn close to being 2-3. We’re 21st in the league in point differential in the last three games. This team isn’t nearly as bad as folks are letting on. Which is pretty bullish long term bc we are not rolling out a talented product week in and week out. Especially not after the injuries.

We went from 3 to 5…nearly DOUBLING our previous seasons win total. And they still fired Matty P! Can you imagine the Chiefs firing Andy Reid after doubling his win total to 26 wins in a season?

2 Likes

Decker’s finger, Ragnow’s toe…double digit losses.

Pretty effin’ juvenile sense of humor, if effective pundidiots, these Football Gods, no ?

Ow My Balls Idiocracy GIFs | Tenor

4 Likes