Rap Civil War

I don’t expect too many people here to care at all about this, but I’m posting this anyway in case there’s anyone else who this is relevant for.

I’m also posting because now J. Cole allegedly wants to take 7 Minute Drill off of Spotify, claiming he only made it out of “peer pressure”. (Garbage!!)

So if you know what’s going on…what do you think about Cole’s apology? What do you think about him for apologizing? What do you think about Drake for trying to downplay the whole thing without responding? Who’s side are you on, and why?

However, I assume most of the people reading this have absolutely no idea what I’m talking about…much less care. If you do care to find out…here’s an overview.

Drake, J. Cole, and Kendrick Lamar have long been considered to be on a tier of their own at the top of the 2010s/2020s in rap. The order within that tier has been debated for a while, but not many people debate that the top tier exists, and not many people debate that those are the three guys in it.

In Drake’s album last October, he got a song with J. Cole on it, which he envisioned was going to break the internet. “First Person Shooter” wasn’t the first time these two collaborated, but it was the first time they went big together. It was the first time any of the three of them teamed up to go big in ten years. Here’s the track…

I’m not “Genius”, so I’m not going to break it down here for probably only a few people to care about. You can look it up to see all of the references in here.

About a month ago, Future (number 4-5 of the past decade and a half) dropped an album with Metro Boomin, who’s the best producer in rap right now. I don’t think really anyone is disputing that. Anyway, Metro and Drake worked together on several tracks throughout the years. They had a bit of a falling out over a couple of things around 2022, but the biggest thing was Drake trying to invite himself on Metro’s album “Heroes and Villains” when Metro didn’t think there was any room for him (there wasn’t). Basically, Metro and Drake don’t like each other. Future and Drake did an album together back in 2015, and they hadn’t had any public drama, so nothing noted between the two of them.

Their album drops, and Kendrick Lamar has a surprise feature on “Like That”. Having not appeared on a song all of 2023 (if I recall correctly), he comes out hot…dissing both Drake and J. Cole multiple times. This track is when the war officially started.

Especially when Metro tweeted this…

https://x.com/MetroBoomin/status/1771019711209517336

Here’s the song…

Then…J. Cole drops a surprise album titled “Might Delete Later” a week or so ago. The last track, titled “7 Minute Drill”, was his much anticipated response to Kendrick…who he has praised publicly several times before.

Now…Cole wants Spotify to take the song down, claiming he was peer pressured into making a diss track. I personally think that’s a load of garbage, because he’s big enough to not care what anyone tells him to do.

Not only was this friendly competition between Cole and Kendrick, but it was also going to bring out the best skill in the best rappers. Especially as the genre has seen a downturn in the past couple of years. I’d hate to see it end as it just started.

But we can’t forgive Drake for trying to respond with an instagram post. That was pathetic.

Future and Metro drop their sequel album “We Still Don’t Trust You” tonight. It’ll be interesting to see if there’s anything relevant on that.

Back when I was your age rappers would settle this stuff via attempted (or “successful”) murder. You listen to a bunch of pansies.

1 Like

Tupac after being shot 5 times comes out with this song. I mean the guy was crazy and had a death wish. Just asking for it. Awesome song by the way.

Back in the day there was genuine beef between the West Coast and the East Coast.

Nowadays it’s all manufactured for marketing. Who wins if the biggest three rappers are involved in a “civil war”? They all do.

Are any of these cats bald? If so, that’s whose side I’m on!
It’s how I pick cage fighters to root for, NFL GMs, & more!

Sorry @HSVLion, the perspective is too young for me to even speak on it. The guys from a lot of our times would go flat-out scorched earth on the guys from your time. And zero ■■■■■ or apologies EVER given. Period. Full Stop. End of discussion.

I could name five guys from then to go against 15 guys from now and it still wouldn’t even close. Like the best college football team playing the worst NFL team.

I don’t think there is any pride in being an actual gangbanger. But being a fake gangbanger is pretty sad too.

1 Like

I love rappers that don’t take themselves overly seriously.

…dig on these lyrics

& these ones

Hilarious

1 Like

Heck Yes.

Thirded.

1 Like

That depends. Who we running the train on?

Aaand J. Cole is ON the second Future album.

False alarm everybody, none of this was real. Nothing to see here.

I like Christian rappers who get death threats and respond like this ….