Reggie Bush reportedly getting Heisman Trophy back in formal 'reinstatement'

Good for the former Lion who, pre-Campbell regime, holds one of the few 1000 yard rushing seasons in the post-Barry era.

Barack Obama Applause GIF by Obama

I don’t know about this. It was breaking the rules at the time.

Not sure what to make of that video. Looks photoshopped.

I looked up “applause” and that came up. Don’t know anything else about it.

Every team was breaking the rule at the time. Literally 100+ college teams were paying players at one level or another. It has been going on since long before i was born.

1 Like

I doubt anyone disagrees with you, so should they not have punished anyone for breaking the rules at the time they occurred?

No. I actually agree with both the punishment at the time and the current reinstatement due to it no longer being an offense.

1 Like

Another shining example of how cheaters end up winning. We might as well celebrate Mark McGuire, lance Armstrong, Jerry Tarkenian, the 1919 white Sox, and the East German Olympic teams because “everyone cheats”. We keep pushing to normalize fraud and cheating in many aspects of our society. Not great.

Couldn’t remember what triggered the sanction, but the “cheating” was not performance-based, i.e. Bush wasn’t taking steroids or other performance enhancing drugs, nor “throwing” games so USC would deliberately lose (they went 25-1 during 2004-2005), or affect the gambling point spreads.

“Bush faced heavy scrutiny while USC was slapped with intense sanctions by the NCAA after it learned that the running back had accepted special treatment and perks from sports marketers during his college career, including hotels, a home for his family, and a limousine and suite for the Heisman ceremony.”

He accepted massive amounts of money to play at USC. He cheated and so did his university / team. His “accolades” were accomplished while he and his team were cheating. The cheating is performance based because they put together an allstar team while cheating. He also knew he was cheating and did it anyways. We should not reward that kind of behavior. It reinforces that there are no consequences for cheating to get ahead. Whether that be for an individual or a team.

All i know is nil can get eat a bag of wieners. But rules are rules and they got caught.

I don’t disagree that USC should have been punished for whatever complicit behavior allowed them to put together an all star team, but there’s no moral high ground for the NCAA here; in fact, the exact opposite. Fortunately, the courts have out an end to the NCAA’s hypocrisy.

1 Like